Old 23 July 2019, 23:14   #1

Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp
Concern about transom wheels

So I'm a new SIB owner of a 3.3 meter boat, aluminum floor, with a 15 hp Tohatsu. Unfortunately I can't use a trailer (nowhere to store it), so I'm looking at either having to inflate it at the dock, or trying to carry it on top of my small SUV on the roof rack. I'm thinking the roof rack idea is only going to work if I've got somebody to help me given the weight of 120 pounds.

Anyway, the biggest thing that's got me concerned (because I haven't tried it yet) are the 12" transom wheels. These are great for wheeling it around the driveway and such, but I'm a little nervous about getting it down/up the only boat ramp I would likely use. It's long and it's steep. Steep enough that I have to work pretty hard just dragging my fully loaded kayak up the ramp on wheels. Getting the SIB down to the water will probably be easy enough, but I'm already wary of trying to roll what will be a 250+ pound boat (with the motor and gear) up the ramp. Most of the times I'll have somebody with me who can help, but sometimes I may not.

So here's my probably controversial/boneheaded idea. During those times I may not have help, is there any reason I can't tie the front of the SIB to the back of my SUV to simply drive it up the ramp to the parking lot? I know they're not designed for "towing," but I figure if I'm only going a couple hundred feet, at a speed no faster than a person would walk with it...what's the difference? Is there something I may not be thinking of?
Old 23 July 2019, 23:21   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
At least one person here has proposed (and I think actually done) something like that. Assuming you are very gentle, the only issue I can see (especially if you are alone) is the possibility that it shifts as you move it and ends up dragging on the ground without you realising.
Old 23 July 2019, 23:24   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Roy (I assume), welcome to the forum & congrats on the new outfit.

Just this weekend we pulled our SIB by hand about 900ft along the road and down the slip... plus the same back again after our trip.

We have had various wheel types on the transom legs and all from 10" to 15" diameter have been fine. The bearings are just plain nylon/plastic running on the stainless tube of the legs. I do re-grease after each outing but that's probably more than is needed.

So your 100ft at slow speed with pickup will be fine. Folks have done similar on here when at campsites with a launch slip some way from their pitch.

Edit: Just thinking a bit more do make sure the outboard is well tilted and there is no danger of the skeg catching on a pothole etc... if hand pulling you notice right away if this happens but with the noise of a vehicle you might not.

David
Old 24 July 2019, 02:10   #4

Engine: 15 hp
Thanks very much to the both of you. Those are good things to think about!
Old 24 July 2019, 19:14   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Roy welcome sound advice from the lads I did the same I made a bridal for the boat bow tied it to the luggage loops in the boot (trunk) to keep it from hitting the floor worked a treat slow speed and no tight turns you'll be fine
Old 29 July 2019, 18:20   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
You can pick up a small dinghy launching trailer quite cheaply. You can then buy a nosewheel kit and tow it up the ramp. That's what I do with a 12 ft GRP sailing dinghy full of kit.