Old 31 August 2016, 12:42   #1

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Comparisons?

Hi All,

Newbie here...

Been on here a fair bit over the last few weeks finding out relevant information before I decide which SIB to go for.

Previously had an old C-Craft when I was a little kid (Grandads old diving boat) + a Mariner 4HP 2STK and my farther had a few speeds boats over the years but I seem pretty out of touch with the whole 'Brand' market.

My questions:-

I'm currently looking at the Mercury/Quicksilver 365 XSHD... - Looks the nicest (daft I know) but also comes with a pretty decent warranty and the brand seems very reputable from previous experiences.

Firstly, Whats the quality like with these in PVC - I'm not wanting to go crazy and spend a fortune but up to circa 2k for the boat is OK.

Secondly how do they compare to the following :-

Excel Vanguard 360 - Seem to have pretty good reviews on here but terrible customer service.

SeaPro 380HD - Look well but i have read some horror stories on here so slightly put of now.

Inmar 380SR - Look well but i can only find them in the States...

And other similar boats i have missed?

I see a lot on here like the Bombard Airotec, which i do like but i'm slightly drawn more towards the solid floor for comfort with my little lad + gear.

I know similar questions have asked before but i cant really find much on the Mercury boats compared to any of the above.

Thanks.

Edit: I understand the Mercurys have slightly thicker rubber also.
Old 31 August 2016, 13:20   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i have a mercury 365 hd its the new quicksilver 380 with shorter cones on still giving the same space as the 380.
i have cut back from a 6m rib to this the build is excellent in PVC you can get them in hypalon for £1000 more but for me not worth it as this material has a 5 year warranty anyway, got a 25 Suzuki on it getting around 22 knts at WOT plenty fast enough it handles the chop well good sized tubes solid floor all you need for sibing. i trailer mine because its quite a lump to handle on your own but if you use slipways no probs all my stuff is fixed so i dont strip it down at all.

cheers
Old 31 August 2016, 13:33   #3

RIBase
couple of pics nothing wrong with any you have listed i wanted red or orange which limits a bit. the 365 is designed for diving too hence the thicker material
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0644.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	115563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0653.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	115564  
Old 31 August 2016, 18:03   #4

Thanks Jeff! - looks nice that!

Sounding very reassuring with what you have said, also pleased they can cope with the choppy waters as There are big swells at times around the coast from where I plan to launch and need to get through.

Also, how much better is hypalon realistically? As in it is more durable and last longer?
Old 31 August 2016, 18:21   #5

RIBase
Yes it's better longer lasting but tornado started using PVC years ago still a lot around but if you look after it it will last keep it covered when not in use.gurnard has one on here 10 year old and the amount of use he has had out of it it's probably 20 years old in real terms.how I looked at it £1500 I paid £2500 for hypalon two PVC £3000 10 years warranty no contest.been around loads of PVC Sib'S none have made think not going out in that even the cheep ones so an HD XS fits the bill for me.
SIT inflateables do a rescue craft 3.8 m in hypalon air deck we have one at work the deck has an inflatable keel plus floor and the floor is stitched in with a removable lace weight about 78 kg not sure on price but I would think around the £2500 mark if that appeals I did ring them today but not got back yet.
Cheers
Old 31 August 2016, 18:48   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup..no problem with quality or quantity of PVC.. mine is the larger size at 4.3m ..and is a 2005 bought boat. Its stood a lot of abuse ..hauling over barnacle covered beaches .. hits with fish hooks ..and hammerings in heavy seas..without so much as a complaint.

No sign of glue fatigue at 11 years old and am willing to bet it will go a load of years yet..so I wouldn't buy hypalon..not for a boat in Scotland anyhoo..we dont get too much sun. Mine is stored outside all year..on the trailer and under a tarpaulin ..tubes stay inflated all year round..so valves etc dont leak either.

Only thing to be aware of is..they are heavy brutes ..and in my opinion..trailer jobs only.

Would I get another ? ..yup..no problem on that ..its a great boat
Old 31 August 2016, 19:48   #7

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Listen to the gunard. He is king of the sibs young grasshopper😀

Tsm
Old 31 August 2016, 20:33   #8

Thanks for that Jeff, my thoughts exactly in regards to the price difference on the two fabrics. Maybe if it was an avid diving SIB the latter would be benefitial but not for me and my needs.

Thanks Gurnard - I searched for you when Jeff mentioned you and have to say your missions look awesome. - I'm actually wanting to do the isle of Anglesey with my little lad as we did it years ago but on larger boats so one of my next threads was going to be asking for advise on longer hauls as I would like to do some like yourself and didn't know how the smaller engines cope etc.

TSM - I'm reading through some of his threads now and pretty envious of those outings.

Think the Mercury is confirmed for me, I would trailer the boat but hope to use launching wheels on most but carry the engine separate in the car on a trolley.
I hope the weight will be ok wheel barrowing one of these down the beach though.
Old 01 September 2016, 08:12   #9

RIBase
again gurnard does exactly what you want to do with his 4.3 & 25 mariner so he will be best placed to give some tips he's got it off to a fine art words from others who have witnessed it.if you want to have a look before you buy your welcome to pop over i live in retford 20 odd miles just pm me if you do.
you will see looking at gurnard's threads you can cover long distances in a sib thats all there was once till they stuck a glass hull on one and called it a rib.
fenlander is another to look at too he is an areotec man carries it in the car with 20 suzuki just another way to go.
loads of advice on hear also lads post when they have had problems which we all learn from.

good luck with your choice cheers
Old 01 September 2016, 10:18   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Agree with advice above. PVC is fine for even hard leisure use. All the main brands will be fine... Honwave... Quicksilver... Zodiac...etc. Excel seem to have a good reputation from users too. I'd beware of lesser known (Ebay) brands than those for resale values if nothing else.

One way of looking at the £1000ish PVC SIB is that it will last a min of 10yrs and even if you scrap it after that £100/yr is nothing for the pleasure of being on the water.
Old 01 September 2016, 20:05   #11

Thanks guys, much appreciated and confirmed my choice!
Old 04 September 2016, 18:51   #12

Just another quick question guys...

I plan to launch the SIB by hand (poss on transom wheels) but trailer to location.

I'm sure the 365 HD Mercury will be fine but how will the 415 HD Mercury be? I'm judging by the information I can find on here that maybe the latter would be a tad to much to handle alone?

I planned a 15-20hp motor the for 365 and again I understand that the jump between the two is fairly big so carting one about would be tough with the 20.

The reason I ask is because I'm wanting 4 adults occasionally in the SIB for sea fishing and think the smaller would be poss a tad to small? - I'm wanting to be comfy not crammed up but have to take into account that I will want to launch it with transom wheels so I don't want some mega heavy boat when just me and the wife will be launching it.

What are you thoughts?
Old 04 September 2016, 19:02   #13

The below all looks decent sizes so can anyone confirm which are which sizes etc.

http://www.boatfinder.gr/files/Image/Boats/QuickSilver-Heavy_Duty380.jpg

http://www.ambil-yam.co.il/index.php?dir=site&page=catalog&op=item&cs=3204&la ngpage=heb&category=3068

The picture the three people on board.

The latter is listed as a 470 but comes up with the 365 and 415 searches and has the seat so can't be the 470 so can anyone who has one identify which is which. Even better if anyone has a pic with people on board.

Sorry to be a pain but hoping to order this week so just want to confirm the above with weights and photos etc.

Many thanks
Old 04 September 2016, 19:12   #14

Have a look through this thread of mine and see if it gives you any ideas...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...els-71295.html

Note that Chipko, myself and AdamV66 all use the same budget bow dolly which is a huge help.
Old 04 September 2016, 19:36   #15

RIBase
The 365 comes in at 100 & the 415 120 kg my 365 is to heavy with a 25 hp on to move with just transom wheels single handed you would need the bow dolly for certain but with 4 people on hand should be a doddle I launch mine straight off the trailer and change the bearings every year £30 .
On you tube there's a 365 showing performance with 2 & 4 up I think with a 20 hp on.
If you get on the Mercury site there is the spec for all the HD boats the 365 is a 6 man boat.
Just looked the 470 comes in at 170 kg
Old 04 September 2016, 19:36   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Have a look through this thread of mine and see if it gives you any ideas...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...els-71295.html

Note that Chipko, myself and AdamV66 all use the same budget bow dolly which is a huge help.
Thank you for that. Gives me some great ideas on transporting it instead of just the typical transom wheels to the sea.

Problem is though are they mainly used on the sub 4 meter SIBs or have they been proven to work on the bigger ones? The slip which I intend the majority of launches on is mega steep so getting one back up with the extra weight the bigger sib and engine could be problematic so that why I'm kind of stuck on decision on the two sizes.
Old 04 September 2016, 19:55   #17

RIBase
Not wanting to dampen your spirit for launching & recovery but the least you will be pulling back up the slip is circa 180 kg (365)on your own you have then to load onto the trailer which would need to be low enough or the bunks set to avoid to much friction ( wear on the tubes) as you winch up or lift the boat as high as possible and slide the trailer under not easy I have done it on grass but it's bloody hard work.
Owning a 365 I launch by trailer because the alternative is not acceptable to me and I have lifted heavy weights all my life to that end I have a company designing some roller bunks to help OMO
Old 04 September 2016, 20:07   #18

Thanks for the info Jeff!

Just to add, I will be recovering it back to the car then taking the engine off and loading back into the car and just trailering the actual boat so getting it back on the trailer would be OK.

I will try and look for the video you mentioned and see how it looks for room.
Old 05 September 2016, 08:47   #19

>>>are they mainly used on the sub 4 meter SIBs or have they been proven to work on the bigger ones?

If transom wheels are free on their axles and greased... likewise for the dolly wheels... even a heavy SIB will move easily over long distances on the flat with good surfaces.

As you add in sand/pebbles or a steep and/or rough slip then it gets harder.

You mention a mega steep slip and single handed operation. That can be really hard with a heavy outfit and a push will be much appreciated. The bow dolly has the massive advantage that all your posture and effort goes into the pull without that need to lift as well with a skewed round arm like you do with a bow handle lift. Also if you need a breather you just stop rather than having to put the boat down and pick it up again.

I might have mentioned in the linked thread the main reason for getting the dolly was this year's holiday where the SIB needed pulling up a steep hill into a rear garden for overnight storage. Last year at the same location we took the OB off before each time attempting this... this year with the dolly it was easier with the 20hp OB on than last year without... that dolly made that much difference.