Old 03 August 2019, 19:00   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Compact/narrow 6hp outboard

Asking this question here as you guys will probably have more experience of smaller outboards. Went to fit a new 6hp Suzuki auxiliary to my rib today only to find it fouls on both the main engine on one side and the A frame on the other !!
The main engine is a 150 Suzuki which appears to be wider than most other manufacturers engines. Add to this the gear lever on the side of the 6hp and it's a bit of problem.
So my hope is that someone who has tried a few different engines on there SIB might have a suggestion or two on where to start looking for an alternative. Trying to find width dimensions online with the exception of Tohatsu is proving tricky. The gear lever is going to need to be on the front and the tiller arm as compact as possible.
If I have to go down to a 4hp that maybe what will happen,that said, visually they don't look much different in size to the 6hp versions. Two stroke outboards have been suggested as a possibility by the dealer who sold me this outfit but I would prefer 4 stroke if possible.

As always any thoughts gratefully received.
Old 04 August 2019, 07:39   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Many older 2 strokes have gears on the tiller and a smaller so would perhaps be a better option
Old 04 August 2019, 08:26   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I had this problem mounting an aux on my valiant . the previous owner had mounted an alloy shoe and bracket set up for aux on the starboard side of the transom and was fouling the motor on full lock against the tiller .so as the main outboard is offset to starboard and the aux tiller was on the port side of the motor I swapped sides and the inch offset combined with the extra from the tiller not being in the way gave me loads of room . I can even fit my 8hp from the sib on there . not that iv ever went out with an aux on board since.

Tags
outboard