Old 03 July 2015, 13:11   #1

Length: no boat
Choosing first boat+engine (Remote steering or Tiller?)

Hello everyone!
I'm in the process of choosing a small light sib and I'm currently looking at the F-Rib's and the Aerotec 380. I have selected a 20HP Suzuki 4 stroke as it's light 44-47KG and now I'm a bit unsure if the setup should be for remote or tiller control. I'm a noob so excuse me, but it seems like when I have bought the engine it's very hard to change afterwards if i choose the wrong setup.

What are the pros and cons to remote steering? I have found a simple add-on to the A 380 like the attached.

Is such a system durable? What is needed on top of this? how many cables and so on.

I like the idea about such a minimal setup as I hope it will still be lightweight?
And is it easy to dismount from the engine?

Is the engine fixed put in a fixed trim position or is the trim also managed remotely (sorry for my ignorance)

I'm going to use this boat for simple fun and cruising with 2 adults and two small kids.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1400-933-2677-r.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	106577  
Old 03 July 2015, 13:26   #2

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: TWINS
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1435929770.875587.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	106578 I run the same system in my 380 sib and I love it, jumps on plain quicker as you are near the bow so makes for better performance from boat. I set and dismantle ever time as it Goes in my boot. Take me twenty miners to set up with using my bravo pump. HatedClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1435929990.284723.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	106579 the tiller steer. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 03 July 2015, 13:38   #3

Awesome boat! And thank you for the info!

Does the steering setup make it impossible to stay in the front of the boat? I guess small kids would like to stay in the bow?

How complicated it it to dismantle the cables going to the engine? And how much extra weight does such a system add to the boat?
Old 03 July 2015, 14:03   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Slightly different perspective from me.

I like a SIB to be as simple as possible so keep to tiller steer. I always have at least one other person to use as moveable "ballast" so my weight at the stern not an issue.

However I keep to a 35kg 15hp 2-stroke for ultimate portability... when I've had other smallcraft (grp and under 5m) with 25hp and above I've had console steering. It does give a greater feeling of stability and control when you are looking at perhaps 25kts or more.

As long as you have manual start so no battery and cables to faff with the steering cables to outboard conns take just moments to disconnect and reconnect. Those clip on steering tube/wheel setups you've linked to are really quick to remove as well.
Old 03 July 2015, 14:50   #5

There is space in front of the bar you could put small kids in there. The cable ends are quick release ends so 2mins to connect cables. The bar and cables with helm is about 8kgs so not that bad really. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1435934892.652654.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	106582Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1435935001.490093.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	106583Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1435935026.750219.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	106584

Old 03 July 2015, 21:16   #6

Town: North Devon
That looks like the Pentewan Sands tractor
Old 03 July 2015, 21:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantona View Post
That looks like the Pentewan Sands tractor

Haha yes you right great for taking the caravan and launching the sib.

Old 04 July 2015, 06:19   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I think that for most applications of a SIB that is under 5m, a tiller will be the most versatile. A tiller will take up far less (very precious) deck space, assembly and disassembly will be quicker and simpler, and a tiller will provide much more precise throttle and directional control. If your are in choppy conditions, a tiller will leave one hand free to grip the safety lines.

As for the engine size, select the most powerful engine that you can safely load from your vehicle to your transom and vice versa, that does not exceed the rating for the boat.
Old 04 July 2015, 10:19   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
Does the steering setup make it impossible to stay in the front of the boat? I guess small kids would like to stay in the bow?
In anything but calm conditions the bow of the boat is the least comfortable place to be.

To me the shift from tiller to wheel is really about seating. Perched on a tube all day is ok in nice weather or slow speed but it does get tiring after a long time. Tillers are great for close quarters / tight maneuvering work. The benefits of a sib are diluted by a console - how much depends how you intend to use it. If it's fold up each day even five minutes extra is a PITA. If you will keep inflated all season its less of an issue. One thing to be aware of is I have never met anyone who removed steering cables without some "fun" perhaps if they are taken out every day it is trivial but expect to get it stuck or slightly bent at some point!

In terms of tilt/trim at that size most will be manual only. power trim is nice to have, but will mean you need a battery and cables etc so again adds set up effort. It's the only thing I regret not having on mine but 90% of trips and 98% of the time it would make no difference to me.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:35   #10

Thank you very much for all the great info! - I see many pros and cons to Remote Vs Tiller so it's not an easy decision!
I start a new topic regarding the actual boat as I'm having a hard time selecting the right one.