Old 24 October 2013, 13:52   #171

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Thanks.

Can you tell me what the 2 prop descriptors are?

Old 24 October 2013, 14:10   #172

Town: Portland, OR
Make: Zodiac F470
Engine: Suzuki DF25EL
OEM I believe is 10.25x10x3. 2.09 gear case. Other prop - Hustler 10.125x13x3. The later honestly is rather crude prop compared to OEM Suzuki IMHO. Just comparing thinkness, edging, finish etc. Motor feels smother with OEM as well. I've been thinking to ditch Hustler in favor of OEM 13" or matching stainless. I reach 5000+- some with 13 which is in mid-range of 4500-5500 WOT recommended for this motor right now. Should gain some RPM with better prop I expect. Rev limiter kicks in at 5500 sharp.

Old 24 May 2015, 23:07   #173

It's been a real saga, but I finally have my problems all figured out. Thanks to all who helped, especially frankc, captnjack, and SIBRider. Without them, the explanation would not be forthcoming.

The ENTIRE problem was cause by my local Zodiac dealer failing to properly assemble my boat after I brought it to them to place it on the trailer that they made for me. They neglected to put the rear-most floorboard over the lip on the transom tongue-in-groove. This is spotted by SIBRider in the pics i posted.

This cause the floorboards to fail to stretch out the floor material properly, resulting in a hooked hull, which frankc correctly diagnosed.

Unfortunately, nobody at my dealership, nor the dealership I purchased the boat from had this on their radar. Instead, everybody focused on the height of the motor. I eventually had the boat back at my dealership to have a metal plate installed in the transom that would raise the motor over 2 inches (putting the AV plate about 1 inch below bottom of boat). When the boat was in for that, it was also re-assembled properly.

After raising the motor 2 inches and properly assembling the floorboards, the hooking of the hull was pretty much solved. I could actually achieve WOT, while I hadn't been able to even come close to that before because accelerating beyond plunge speed pushed the bow down so hard. This workboat rides a little flatter than my previous Grand Raids, so that took a little getting used to. However, since the motor was raised, I started having a new problem: ventilation. The ventilation also prevented me from running the motor in the third trim pin hole away from the transom (because the ventilation became incessant with the motor trimmed that far up), which also caused a bit of a bow down attitude. I tried different props, including a 4-blade prop with no improvement. (In fact, the 4-blade was associated with *worse* ventilation.)

I finally had the transom plate removed and the motor brought back down to its original position. Now the boat runs perfectly. 24 mph today. Nice plane at WOT and no ventilation, even during turns, with the engine in trim position #3.

It's taken me several years to sort this all out, but I wouldn't have been able to explain it all at this point without all of the help I got here. I am just amazed that nobody at either Zodiac dealer (one of which is the largest dealer in NA, perhaps even the world) was able to bring incorrect floorboard assembly up in the troubleshooting of the obvious hull hook that I was describing. Hopefully this thread might be of help to someone else.

My problem underscores the importance of the correct floorboard length and assembly, so maybe this will be helpful to anybody considering manufacturing a floor for their SIB. I now strongly suspect that the OP's boat had an after market fibreglass floor that was too short...
Old 25 May 2015, 00:03   #174

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Wow, what a journey, glad you got it sorted. Cheers to the guys that gave ya the clues. Thanks for documenting it for future owners mate.

All the best
Old 25 May 2015, 09:24   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
I had to lengthen the front floorboard in a 10 ft Avon to cure a problem like yours. I was about to trash the boat until a nice lady from Achilles clued me in and recommended the cure. New lengthened floorboard and the boat is still in service after many years with no problems.
frankc, do you recall how much the floorboards had to be lengthened to solve the problem you were having with that AVON?
Old 25 May 2015, 11:30   #176

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
I cut a mock up of the front panel long enough that it would not fit and then trimmed the length until it could be forced in position. This stretched the bottom fabric and prevented a hook in the fabric at the transom. The Avon then ran as well as it had when new or possibly better.

There are no anti hogging strips on this hull and the Hypolon stretched in use over time (hogback). If you see a cupped area in a hull ahead of the transom, it must be removed for proper operation of the boat. The area immediately forward of the transom has much to do with the performance of a hull.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:04   #177

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Wow what a saga! When I lived in Manitoba, we had a Zodiac dealer who really knew his stuff, because he used a variety of the models quite extensively, including an expedition in Mark II Grand Raids from Winnipeg to Hudson's Bay at Cape York.

When they retired and sold the business (which also carried ATVs, dirt bikes outboards & snowmobiles), the new owners carried zodiac for a year or two, then discontinued carrying inflatable boats altogether because they were clueless about them. A few years later another marine place picked up the Zodiac line, but none of the guys there were at all familiar with them either.

A website like Rib.net really is a far more valuable (and far cheaper) resource than the vast majority of dealers out there.
Old 27 May 2015, 06:41   #178

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
My cav (antiventilation plate) sits about 1in above the keel on my Zodiac 550 tour with a 70hp.

Depending on what you mainly use the boat for will depend how high or low you place the engine, check out this http://www.killcaremarina.com.au/ind...questions.html

Jon
Old 27 May 2015, 08:02   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Wow what a saga! When I lived in Manitoba, we had a Zodiac dealer who really knew his stuff, because he used a variety of the models quite extensively, including an expedition in Mark II Grand Raids from Winnipeg to Hudson's Bay at Cape York.
We bought our first 2 Grand Raids from John Dubois in 1980 and 1981 and I remember him and his family very well. I used to love the drive to Lockport to check out Zodiac's latest offerings including a test drive on the Red River, once in a MkVIHD with a 235 Evinrude on the back - what a blast! He was a real enthusiast, and it rubbed off on us.

Good times.
Old 27 May 2015, 09:49   #180

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Small world! John made a video wherein he drove his Chevy Suburban to the edge of the Red River with that Mark VI & 235hp Evinrude (with a tiller handle) in the back of the Suburban. He proceeded to pull boat and motor out of the back of the truck, inflate the boat with a 12v pump, assemble the floorboards, install the motor on the back, then drive the suburban up ramps and onto the Mark VI. They strapped the Suburban on to the boat then proceeded to drive the boat a few miles down the river to Lower Fort Garry and back!

Now that is extreme sibbing!