Old 15 October 2013, 08:46   #121

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBRider View Post
then again even judging by tiller handle angel. Yours point up theirs just about level. Your motor is significantly more trimmed-in then theirs.
Tiller handle angle is fully adjustable on my engine and I like it up a bit. The engine was not trimmed in to the first trim hole when this pic was taken as it was when the Zodiac rep was driving.

However, you are right SIBRider, that the bow down attitude my boat has compared to the Zodiac advert may be contributed to by different engine trim. I just can't make the bow down attitude seen in the pic of my boat go away by trimming out, plus I get crazy cavitation when I do.

Old 15 October 2013, 10:09   #122

Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Cavitation and ventilation are different.
If when you trim out you get ventilation, then your motor is too high.
If it is indeed cavitation, then it could be as others have noted, due to the hull shape.
That hook does look rather severe, and may well be the cause of your problems.
Return shipping across the border could be a hassle, but you may have a defective boat on your hands.
See what Zodiac Canada will do for you.
And let us know.

Old 15 October 2013, 11:39   #123

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Projectile where are you in Canada? Anywhere in BC? I'm kinda out of commission right now for boating, but in a few weeks I'd be happy to take a ride in your SIB and offer some suggestions on what's going wrong. I'm in the Seattle area.
Old 15 October 2013, 12:00   #124

Town: Portland, OR
Make: Zodiac F470
Engine: Suzuki DF25EL
I'm not arguing whether there is a hook or not and how that affects performance. There is a stated concern that motor doesn't perform at correct trim angle. This problem is counteracted by position motor in manner that greatly exacerbates any possible hull problems. In fact it probably has far greater effect. Once good propulsion is established only after that I would be concerned with other issues. Motor that doesn't perform will not be able to raise bow. Hence it's pointless to fight other battles before this one is won.
Old 15 October 2013, 12:44   #125

Quote:
I'm not arguing whether there is a hook or not and how that affects performance. There is a stated concern that motor doesn't perform at correct trim angle. This problem is counteracted by position motor in manner that greatly exacerbates any possible hull problems. In fact it probably has far greater effect. Once good propulsion is established only after that I would be concerned with other issues. Motor that doesn't perform will not be able to raise bow. Hence it's pointless to fight other battles before this one is won.
There's nothing that drastically wrong with the OP's prop. Even if its sized pretty far off the correct size, changing to a 4 blade or changing the pitch 2" is not the issue here. Those are minor tweeks to a major problem.

There are 2 possible sources to projectile's problem:
1) the shaft length on the engine is too short or its mounted way too high. Hence the only way to put the prop in the water is to trim it all the way down.
2) there's a huge cup in the hull.

Or both simultaneously.

I'd like to know the shaft length and see the motor mounted on the transom to rule out #1
Old 15 October 2013, 12:59   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
There's nothing that drastically wrong with the OP's prop. Even if its sized pretty far off the correct size, changing to a 4 blade or changing the pitch 2" is not the issue here. Those are minor tweeks to a major problem.

There are 2 possible sources to projectile's problem:
1) the shaft length on the engine is too short or its mounted way too high. Hence the only way to put the prop in the water is to trim it all the way down.
2) there's a huge cup in the hull.

Or both simultaneously.

I'd like to know the shaft length and see the motor mounted on the transom to rule out #1
While it may seem so. I had significant performance problems with stock prop similar to what Projectile describes that went away changing to 13" prop and/or upping motor. Most of those stem from undersized prop (because of undersized motor) that has to operate at greater slip.
Old 15 October 2013, 14:05   #127

I have lost track of Projectile's horsepower and prop dimensions. I thought it was 25hp which should be close enough with the default/stock prop supplied.
Old 15 October 2013, 14:12   #128

etec-30 stock 10x12x3 I believe. Which is not too bad you would thinki but problems he describes are so similar mine... I
Old 15 October 2013, 14:17   #129

Quote:
etec-30 stock 10x12x3 I believe. Which is not too bad you would thinki but problems he describes are so similar mine... I
Shaft length and transom height?
Old 15 October 2013, 14:20   #130

You can see his original setup here at the bottom before they added raiser. Cav plate height for Zodiac Mk4
18" transom 20" (actual 21.5) shaft.