Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
Cardiff Bay/Channel View for SIBbers

Hi everyone,

Long time, no post, I know, but I've not had anything to say!

However, today I managed to achieve a small victory and took our SIB over to Cardiff Bay and launched out of the Channel View slipway.

Yes.

A lovely slipway.

If you have a RIB and a trailer.

Not so smart - in my opinion - if you have a SIB with launching wheels.

I'm guessing there are some security issues down there, because the major issue I encountered is that the walkway and the slipway don't follow each other all the way up the slope. So for a lone SIBber, you can get your boat just so far in towards the slipway, then you have to sprint back down the walkway, then back up to the top of the slipway, then back down to the bottom and hope that your boat hasn't been taken by the wind.

Today I was helped by some newbies who were similarly baffled as to how this might be a smooth operation. If I was by myself, I'm not sure how this would have worked.

However, on the plus side, Cardiff Bay is a lovely place to spend a few hours tooling around.

So in summary, I'd just like to let other solo pilots know that launching and recovering from Channel View - which at first sight is a lovely slipway - ain't that straightforward for a solo SIBber, unless I've just been a complete muppet!

That gert copper covered building's well wicked though, now
Old 07 September 2012, 06:53   #2

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Channel View is a good slipway But I don't think it was designed with us pleasure boaters in mind.
On the right hand side of the slip, There is a mesh box affair I normally tie up to that while parking the car/trailer.
The greater danger I feel is the Swan $hite which makes it very slippery when your at the waters edge.
Old 07 September 2012, 13:38   #3

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
hey mike sounds a bit of a crud idea !... whats it like there in cardiff we were hoping to make it over and have a butchers at everthing .looks like it could be an ace place for sibbers to while away a bit of time with all the bars etc

what were your launching costs
Old 07 September 2012, 18:01   #4

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Think its usually £6.50 + £5 deposit
Bit of acrobatics required on the walkway & long rope to fencepost - there were some stepping stones I think so you don't have to get too wet ? (I don't think they were intentional)
Old 08 September 2012, 11:13   #5

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
Worth the effort

Hi guys,

Launching costs there are now £9 to launch, and the refundable £5 for a permit for the bay.

I'd say that in terms of launching, if there are two of you, and you have a long rope attached to the front of your SIB, you'll be fine. Also if you have a trailer, it's perfect. Finally, make sure to launch on the right hand side of the slipway - the left hand pontoon is for rowers only.

Oh, and be careful on the right hand side too, because the end of the pontoon is for commercial craft only!

So a few rules and regs to bear in mind, but nothing too onerous.

Once you're out on the water though, there's loads to wander around - you've got two rivers plus the bay itself. Over by the Cardiff Bay development, there's pay and display boat parking - sorry, don't know the charges - so mooring up for lunch is a possibility (I think there's a gate that keeps the general public off the pontoons).

As it was a Thursday in term-time when I went, it was very quiet on the water - it does get a bit hectic at weekends from the few times we've been over there on foot. There are a few big RIBs that spin around with tourists in, so you'd need to take care, although the extra energy in the water might make things a bit more exciting.

So if you can manage to avoid the worst of the swan poo on the slipway, I'd say its worth checking out.
Old 11 September 2012, 21:30   #6

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
We have an annual permit and key for Channel view so we can use it out of hours. If you end up going regularly it might be worth looking at. Its priced on size of boat so might not be too bad for a SIB

I'm trying to visualise the problems you are having when your recovering, can't you just put the nose on the slipway and jump over the bow onto the slipway? Or is that where the swan sh*t causes a problem?

The pay and displays at Mermaid Quay are £2 for the first 2 hours and a £1 an hour after that. There is a gate onto the pontoons, the code is on the ticket.

Maybe we should arrange a get together and trip out to the islands sometime.

Mike
Old 12 September 2012, 21:24   #7

looking at visiting this weekend will be first time down there ,looking at stopping at the hampton inn newport (cost/availiability etc)

will prob leave the sib at home so i can have a butchers first ,seems plenty to do anyway

i wonder can i launch from channel view and moor up at the mermaid quay ??? whats the best way of doing things

would be ace to meet up for a pleasure cruise on mike b`s destroyer lolol

however i might shoot down to combe martin again, as i really fancied another coastal run before the weather gets too cold
Old 12 September 2012, 22:08   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
looking at visiting this weekend will be first time down there ,looking at stopping at the hampton inn newport ...
After a night in 'the port' you won't want to go near Cardiff.
Old 12 September 2012, 22:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
After a night in 'the port' you won't want to go near Cardiff.
lol some how i feel this is a sarcastic quote

never been newport but the m4 isn`t far if they come for the englishman