Old 24 June 2009, 15:07   #1

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Buying a SIB and engine

Hi there everybody.....I'm looking at buying a small SIB for use on the canal/Scottish Lochs/Norfolk Broads etc. I need something that I can unpack, assemble, and launch myself, possibly just at the canal side. The boat will carry myself and my wife.
I've become confused by choice! It's come down to the following. I want a solid (wood or aluminium etc) not slatted floor. 2.6m or 3m boat, will the 2.5m be big enough for us or should I get the 3m. (been looking at Honda Honwave boats)
Engines, the dealer is suggesting a Honda 5hp. This weighs 27kg. Will I be able to lift the engine off the boat while I am still in it, to get it out of the canal?
There's a 2.3hp engine which is 17kg but I think that might be a bit weedy for crossing Loch Ness (for example)? I did see a 3.5hp engine made by Mercury, what about that, any use?
The price for the 3m boat with 5hp engine is about 1500 new.
I don't need high speeds, the limit on the Broads is 3-6mph and on Windermere I think it's 10 mph. However I do want to be able to go faster than walking speed!
Sorry if these are all basic questions, I searched the forum but all posts seem to be regarding bigger boats than these.

Old 25 June 2009, 04:07   #2

New boat etc

Can't anybody help? I know these are dull questions, but I have to start somewhere! I know nothing about boats yet.

Old 25 June 2009, 08:22   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Hi there everybody.....I'm looking at buying a small SIB for use on the canal/Scottish Lochs/Norfolk Broads etc. I need something that I can unpack, assemble, and launch myself, possibly just at the canal side. The boat will carry myself and my wife.
I've become confused by choice! It's come down to the following. I want a solid (wood or aluminium etc) not slatted floor. 2.6m or 3m boat, will the 2.5m be big enough for us or should I get the 3m. (been looking at Honda Honwave boats)
Go with as long of a boat as you can physically handle.

Quote:

Engines, the dealer is suggesting a Honda 5hp. This weighs 27kg. Will I be able to lift the engine off the boat while I am still in it, to get it out of the canal?
You are the only one here who would know the answer to that question. Again, go with as powerful of a motor as you can physically handle and is within the boats maximum specs. Will you be launching from a beach or a ramp/dock? In either case, a set of pneumatic launching wheels are an absolute must. Do not even consider buying the boat, unless you are getting pneumatic (not the useless plastic ones) launching wheels at the same time.

The launching wheels will allow you to mount/remove your outboard onto/from the transom while on dry solid ground. Trying to lift an outboard from a dock onto the transom (or vice versa) while standing in a boat that is wobbling in water can be very tricky (ie. dangerous) if you have a substantial outboard weight to deal with.

Quote:

There's a 2.3hp engine which is 17kg but I think that might be a bit weedy for crossing Loch Ness (for example)? I did see a 3.5hp engine made by Mercury, what about that, any use?
The price for the 3m boat with 5hp engine is about 1500 new.
I don't need high speeds, the limit on the Broads is 3-6mph and on Windermere I think it's 10 mph. However I do want to be able to go faster than walking speed!
Sorry if these are all basic questions, I searched the forum but all posts seem to be regarding bigger boats than these.

I googled Loch Ness and noticed that it is about 39km long by ~ 3-5 Km wide. While not a big lake, it is probably plenty long enough that if the winds whip up along it's length (which they probably frequently do, given the hills on each side) the waves/chop can probably get sustantial. If you are in the middle of the lake and things look like they are about to get rough, you would probably not want to be limited to a 3-5 hp outboard. But that would depend in large part on how adventuresome you and your wife are. Again, this is also where extra boat length is of benefit.

There is alot of info in the archives of this section of the forum. I think you will definitely find it worthwile to peruse through them. Do you currently have powerboating experience?
Old 25 June 2009, 10:10   #4

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
I would buy a second hand outfit where all the extras are thrown in, they soon add up - trim tabs, cover, wheels, fuel tank etc. There are a few on b&o.com for c 1.5-2k which look q tasty. That way you can speak to the owner to see if the setup is suitable.

If you search on the threads here I got loads of good advice with roughly the same questions, ideal setup for me being 3.1-3.4m with 15hp 2 stroke. It's then just a case of finding a decent deal out there. Q suitable for pottering about in at lowish running costs.

Hope it helps & good luck in the search.
Old 25 June 2009, 11:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Either that or buy something 2nd hand like a 340 with 2 engines-one near max size for the boat and a 4hp for broads/river use.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2009, 08:52   #6

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I have a 3.5 metre long boat - with the kit I carry it is comfortable for two adults, cosy for three, crowded for four.

Any large stretch of water can get relatively choppy in the 'wrong' conditions, be it Loch Ness, Breydon Water or Chichester Harbour. Conditions a RIB would not even notice will give you a wet and bumpy ride in a SIB (that's part of the fun ). I would suggest the biggest SIB you can manage (financially and weight / size wise). I would try and get a 'test drive' of any boat you are interested in - ideally on the water, but at least you should test ease of assembly / dissembly / transport.

From your wording I assume you are thinking of launching / recovering over the canal bank. A lot will depend on how high the ground level is above the water level, and the condition of the bank - you need to consider the risk of damage to either yourself or the boat. The feasibility of fitting / removing the outboard will depend on how fit/strong you are and how stable the boat is in the water (again bigger is better). Personally I would think it more hassle/risk than it is worth and would look around for suitable slipways - I guess these might be few and far between on the canals, but there are some, for example at this marina:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default....redfilterid=11

Though you would need to check that the slip actually exists.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 June 2009, 13:56   #7

New boat etc

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to a boat dealer tomorrow, they are going to show me the various sizes of boat/engine to see what I think. They've said they will inflate any boat from their stock for me to have a look at.
It sounds like I need the larger 5hp engine (well, larger compared to the 2.2) and I'll see what I think about boat sizes.
Old 26 June 2009, 14:31   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
A couple of points to remember:

1. When in use, space in the boat will be taken up by fuel tank, outboard tiller and other kit (waterproofs, extra clothing, flares, anchor?, handheld VHF, basic tools, lunch). Granted you won't need all this kit on a canal, but you would on Loch Ness.

2. Just like when buying a car, do not feel pressurised to buy the first boat you see, even if the dealer makes you feel guilty for getting him to inflate a boat for you. Look at a few options - if this dealer is offering a Honwave, have a look at some other makes as well - eg Quicksilver, Bombard, Zodiac. A brand new Avon might be more expensive than the equivalent Honwave (and may be heavier), but a second hand Avon will most likely last better than a brand new Honwave and have better resale value.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 June 2009, 15:25   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Seabreeze2
Make: Avon Rover 2.8
Engine: 7.5hp 4 Stroke Outbd
I have an Avon Rover 2.8M SIB which fits in my Ford Focus boot along with my 7.5 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard.

I cant rate the Honda highly enough, Its utterly reliable quiet and economical to run. Although its not in 'toy towing territory' its powerful enough to fight through a choppy tide in the English channel and still make progress, and its easyish to carry about.

Go for a tried and trusted brand name when looking at a SIB as launching and the odd grounding out can take its toll on the material. I believe that my Avon is made of Hyperlon which is about as good as it gets and will give you peace of mind.

Dont forget that the dealer will of course recommend what he has to sell and not necessarilly what is the best product or best for you, so shop about.

Have fun choosing.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P20-06-09_12.45.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	43553   Click image for larger version

Name:	05052008465.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	43555   Click image for larger version

Name:	15082008555.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	43556   Click image for larger version

Name:	15082008552.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	43558   Click image for larger version

Name:	15082008566.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	43559  

Old 27 June 2009, 05:29   #10

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Honda 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Go with as long a boat as you can physically handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Either that or buy something 2nd hand like a 340 with 2 engines-one near max size for the boat and a 4hp for broads/river use.
An air floor SIB would give the longest boat for the minimum weight. I have a Bombard 380 with a Honda 20, however with a Yamaha 4hp I find top speed is 6 knots, which would be fine for canal or river use.