Old 15 May 2008, 20:15   #21

Town: Toronto
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
I used to have 3m (first 2 img's. I'm 195cm tall) inflatable with air floor. Rolled in you could fit on the Honda Civic back sit. I used it with 3hp Yamaha 2str. Not fast at all but fuel consumption was very good
Last img is 3.85m without floor (extra bag) in the Mazda MPV so you can get an idea of the size.

PS Check Yamaha 2str motors. Yamaha has a lot of green credits and they still permitted to sell 2 strokes ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136 (Small).JPG
Views:	281
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	34798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146 (Small).JPG
Views:	248
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	34799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212 (Small).JPG
Views:	273
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	34800  
Old 15 May 2008, 20:26   #22

Town: Deventer
Boat name: none
Make: Mercury
Engine: Mercury F20M
Thanks for al your help! I really apricieate it!

@ codprawn

I really love your quicksilver. do you have a picture of it with the floor fitted?

hows the stability of a Airdeck? when you sit on it, does it remain solid?

Beacuse of a little luck, i now got a little more budget. Im thinking of a 2 cillinder 4 stroke 6hp.

greatings!
Old 16 May 2008, 02:05   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My Quicksilver is a wooden floor. It does take a little bit longer to set up - say 20mins - but it is very solid when it's ready. Taking the boat apart is a lot quicker - 10 mins or so!!!

I would be tempted to just carry the boat upside down on the roof of the car with the engine in the boot.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My Quicksilver is a wooden floor. It does take a little bit longer to set up - say 20mins - but it is very solid when it's ready. Taking the boat apart is a lot quicker - 10 mins or so!!!

I would be tempted to just carry the boat upside down on the roof of the car with the engine in the boot.

sorry, i did not read that it has a wooden floor. Do you have some pictures of the boat with the floor fitted? and is the wood used good quality?

does anyone give some advice when buying a boat with airdeck? it has to be stable, when you be sitting on your knees for example, does it remain straigt then, or whill it bend?

Im Looking for a Tohatsu 6hp 2 cillinder. A couple of weeks ago i used one, and am very pleased of it.

Greatings
Old 16 May 2008, 12:05   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaerox View Post
does anyone give some advice when buying a boat with airdeck? it has to be stable, when you be sitting on your knees for example, does it remain straigt then, or whill it bend?
When it's inflated to full pressure an airdeck floor is quite solid. It's not like an airbed!

For river use an airdeck floor will feel amost the same as a wooden floor - except it's easier on the knees. It's only when you get faster, or the conditions get a bit bumpy, that you will feel any big difference.

Spend a bit of extra money on a good electric inflator and you'll find that getting the boat ready (and packing it away again) is so quick and easy that you will use the boat more too!

John
Old 16 May 2008, 12:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

Spend a bit of extra money on a good electric inflator and you'll find that getting the boat ready (and packing it away again) is so quick and easy that you will use the boat more too!

John
Thank you, thats good advice!. I got an electric inflator for my airbed, but think this one is not strong enough for envlate it to maximum pressure. I will look for an electric inflator when i buy the boat.

I think i prefer a wooden floor, sometime the river here is a bit wild...and an airfloor is then to soft.
Old 18 May 2008, 05:55   #27

Town: Toronto
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
When it's inflated to full pressure an airdeck floor is quite solid. It's not like an airbed!
I'll second that. I had to purchase different air pump to get it to the right pressure (.7bar = 10 psi) as long as pump on second picture in my prev. post gave .24 bar (3.5psi) only. Plus it was reinforced with plywood

Old 18 May 2008, 20:41   #28

That airdeck sure does look solid.

What do ya think of grandboats?

the corvette 300 looks great! and comes in wooden or airdeck!

price is good to! arround the 1000EUro
Old 19 May 2008, 05:22   #29

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Is there somewhere in your area you could test ride the boats you are considering? I really think it would be worth your while to test drive both an airdeck and a hard deck version of the boats you are considering. I have test driven an airdeck SIB once, and did not care for the way it handled in choppy conditions at all. Also, a hard deck will provide your boat with far more utility than an airdeck. Where do you strap things down on an airdeck? How well does an airdeck handle cargo such as SCUBA tanks and such?
Old 19 May 2008, 06:29   #30
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Where do you strap things down on an airdeck?
In conditions where and airdeck is happy, strapping stuff down isn't a major concern. Bags and other loose gear can be strapped to the grab handles, or on my Quicksilver to a couple of small D-rings on the floor.
Quote:
How well does an airdeck handle cargo such as SCUBA tanks and such?
Not too well I'd imagine - I'd certainly want them well secured. Scuba's not in his spec though!

John
Old 19 May 2008, 08:21   #31

Scuba diving is not a option the shores of holland are boring! and the water is not cleen enough for diving(A)

boat on image: corvette c300.

This boat comes wih wooden floorboards, and have a good price! think its a great option. the company name is Grand, doesnt hear from it bevore. Does anyone know if the qualaty is good?

Greating. Bas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cor-m3.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	34866  
Old 19 May 2008, 13:48   #32

Grand is a Canadian based company. I have no idea if all of their boats are manufactured in Canada. There are some inflatable boat companies in North America (more springing up all the time) that don't actually manufacture their own boats. Some have them manufactured in large plants in Asia (who manufacture for many companies) and have the individual boat company's labels put on them. Some of these companies might make their higher end lines domestically themselves and have there lower end PVC SIBs made in Asia.

Give consideration to the fabric material. A high quality hypalon (such as that from Orca/Pennell) will have a much longer longer life expectancy than PVC. Be aware that there are also some very low quality 'hypalon' fabrics now coming out of Asia that are no more durable than some of the PVC fabrics. If the fabric is made of hypalon, you can be sure that the promotional information from the company will make that very clear. Get them to clarify who makes the hypalon they use. If the boat is made from PVC, the promotional information might refer to it as PVC, but might very well use various euphemisms such as 'strongan duotex' or 'mirasol' or something along those lines.

Here is Grand's website;

http://www.grandboats.com/index.htm
Old 19 May 2008, 15:10   #33

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
With respect to PVC & Hypalon must add:

PVC sibs are made mostly in Asian factories in 0.9 fabric material, very large PVC Sibs/Ribs are made using 1.2/mm fabrics, with thicker fabric decitex and more Gr/Mt2 compared to standard PVC.

Asian Hypalon, we aware of "thin hypalon" to lessen prices some brands are made of 0.9 mm hypalon fabric, will last tonger than "standard" PVC but are real thin and prone to more abrassion, cuts, etc. More costly hypalon sib/ribs depending on how long they are, are made in 1.0/1.1/1.2 mm fabrics, that costs a lot more and will last & resist longer. Typically 3/1 Hypalon/PVC prices. Your budget and boating needs will decide which material.

"If the fabric is made of hypalon, you can be sure that the promotional information from the company will make that very clear", yes as a sales issue against PVC, but generally won't state the fabric thickness, so ask for it....

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2008, 15:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaerox View Post
Scuba diving is not a option the shores of holland are boring! and the water is not cleen enough for diving(A)

boat on image: corvette c300.

This boat comes wih wooden floorboards, and have a good price! think its a great option. the company name is Grand, doesnt hear from it bevore. Does anyone know if the qualaty is good?

Greating. Bas
If you haven't bough your sib yet, would recommend not to purchase any sib under 320/330 air deck or alum floor with at least if buying a Tohatsu engine a 9.8 HP 2 stroke if available. If counting with a larger budget, a 350/360 VIB or Alum floor model with at least 15/18 HP 2 stroke engine will perform better.

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2008, 17:23   #35

A 2 stroke will not be available new for purchase cause there not allowd in the netherlands to sell(except tldi). more than 10 hp is not a option because the motor will be tho heavy and the boat will go to fast(when going fasther than 20kmph you need a sailing license).

Have sent a mail to grand with the question where the boats are manufactured en what kind of material is used. Hope they reply soon.

Is a boat from the brand: Zodiac, Brig Suzumar, and quicksilver always made from good material?

Greatings!
Old 19 May 2008, 17:34   #36

Loco just posted some excellent information there.

Further to selecting boat length, once you've decided on a manufacturer and model line, go with the longest boat from that line that you can fit in you vehicle and that you can handle. I've have a 3.2 meter Zodiac SIB and a 4.2 meter Zodiac SIB, both with the same basic central inflatable v-keel design. That extra meter of length makes a world of difference when the water is choppy.
Old 19 May 2008, 20:42   #37

Cant find the website of quicksilver, does someone got the adres?
Old 19 May 2008, 22:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Loco just posted some excellent information there.

Further to selecting boat length, once you've decided on a manufacturer and model line, go with the longest boat from that line that you can fit in you vehicle and that you can handle. I've have a 3.2 meter Zodiac SIB and a 4.2 meter Zodiac SIB, both with the same basic central inflatable v-keel design. That extra meter of length makes a world of difference when the water is choppy.
Yes all will depend on what your boating needs will be, that is: if you want an all inflatable sib, a alum fllor sib, if you are going to inflate every time you are going to use it, maybe all inflatable would be best, if you are using a sib trailer with mounted all times engine, etc. This is a personal decision and all of us who are experimented boaters have passed through this issues. Pick the sib/rib/engine combination you are confortable with.

In my case have 2 sibs, a 320 inflatable floor with a Tohatsu 05 HP 2 strokes engine that is transported in my car top to any place where there's water and a trailered 360 alum fllor with a Toh 18 2 strokes for longer & faster cruises mostly launched through marinas. Yes a sib and engine lenghts makes a big difference.

Regarding the PVC & Hypalon posting, know this theme well because my boats are made to my specs in a reputed Korean Boat Factory, have offered me both in 7 different Orca thickness fabrics, but prices vary and increases accordingly as you opt for thicker PVC & Hypalon fabrics.

If you can get this tech info from the boat delaer will be better, hope he's not lying as you would need fabric samples and a vernier for thickness calibration so to compare between all fabrics. 3 for PVC & 4 for Hyplon. Manufacturers usually makes 3 party brands sibs in PVC 0.9 mm and Hpalon 1.0 mm fabrics. Costier & Larger 420 sibs/ribs and up are made In Hypalon 1.1/1.2 mm fabrics.

The 320 is PVC 1.0 mm fabric, the 360 is PVC 1.2 fabric

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SRD-320.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	34892   Click image for larger version

Name:	SRD-360.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	34893  
Old 19 May 2008, 22:51   #39

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
inflatable.

I have owned
3 avon redcrests (round tails) very good but basically tenders slatted floors
2 avon redstarts same as above basically
2 avon rovers, 1 slatted floor brilliant to live with but little prone to fold if too much power size 280
the other a 310 with solid floor superb but a bit of a hassle to assemble /dissasemble but to be frank it was very good afloat.
1 quicksilver hd (hah) 430 rubbish absolute rubbish. it folded when we had a 9.9 4 stroke on and was really an expensive "cheap" boat, never again.
1 waveline airdeck 3m easy to live with takes a 6hp 4 stroke well and goes well so a really nice little boat.
1 quicksilver airdeck 310 again very good nothing like the 430 and I loved it
had the same 4 stroke suzuki and it was very good afloat
1 avon typhoon 3m solid floor ok but hassle to assemble as the unit was not new and the floor runners had a bit of corrosion.
Plastimo 280 slatted floor, everybody makes mistakes.

so in summary I would reccomend
310/330/340 qsilver or similar, floors are easy and stable, costs reasonable and you will have enough for either 4 or bigger 2 stroke.
the bigger solid floors always end up being left on trailer or on roof rack etc as the assemby time and wear/tear can be a nuisance.

best of luck.
Old 20 May 2008, 00:21   #40

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Grand vs Brig

Grand is basically a Brig boat. I have a Brigs B350 find it to be a good little sib but I use it only one week a year and only row it to my fishing spots from camp. It was told to me from the Brig dealer down here that Brigs owners had there differences and separated, one kept the Brigs name the other started the Grand company.