Old 29 June 2018, 08:26   #1

Make: F-rib
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Building up my "kit list" from scratch

So, I need to kit out the Frib and most of the stuff I have is kayak oriented so gonna start from scratch - ish with the Frib.

Have a wish list based on my own experience and also reading the "what kit do you carry" sticky which is great

But wanted to ask a few questions based on peoples experiences here so thought I would start my own thread and build up a bit of a master list as we go along.... so here we go

1. Life jackets: need to buy 3 new adult life jackets, any recommendations on makes/suppliers/types?

Thanks,

MM
Old 29 June 2018, 08:28   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
there are so many to choose from - try a few on - work out what is comfortable and suits your budget.
Old 29 June 2018, 08:46   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As I put in a recent thread you have to choose your preference based on your confidence... swimming ability... area of operation... experience... and views on personal comfort.

This is my current buoyancy aid towards the end of this thread... it's a 70N and given the factors above and how they apply to me that suits. Gadget boy pockets and places to clip things too!

See posts #30/31

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/100n-li...pfd-75045.html

You may wish for something completely different.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:35   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use a NRS kayak vest mostly plenty of pockets for radio, PLB, knife, whistle, strobe with instant buoyancy if you drop in the drink. i also have a auto lifejacket but if it gets wet it needs re-arming you can take the auto bit off and use as a manual but thats no good if you're unconscious and they catch on the boat if climbing in. OMO
Old 29 June 2018, 11:59   #5

Great info thanks - I had been thinking more of an auto/manual inflate lifejacket like I use on hardboats more for mobility, but reading that thread has brought out the debate about suitability for a SIB where you may get much wetter....... given me something to think about now.

How cumbersome do you find the PFD's - my experience a few years back when Kayaking was they were a bit bulky?

Cheers,

MM
Old 29 June 2018, 12:10   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
they are bulky and get in the way getting into the boat from the water but the compromise is worth it IMO i wear a dry suit so taking it off is no big deal for me nothing wrong with the auto manual but we've had them at work blow off in heavy rain
Old 29 June 2018, 14:27   #7

Looking at lifejackets the other thing I notice is they don't seem to have any pockets or hooks for VHF etc?
Old 29 June 2018, 15:01   #8

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Personally I use a delta ranger PDF as it has pockets for kit it's not a life jacket and won't self right you head up. I use PDF as it's a good aid for swimming especially long distance swimming! I brought mine a good 10 or even 15 years ago! Since then many PDF companies have made their PDF's with pockets. If you get a PDF make sure it has chest and waist buckles not just a zip.

I would also advise mini rockets, you get 9 shots very loud and vissable day or night, easily kept in the pfd or grab box

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...it/m-2508.aspx

[ATTACH]125565[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7461.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	125565  
Old 29 June 2018, 16:34   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
To be honest your kayak kit will probably serve most of your needs. Bulk is less of an issue on a sib/rib as you aren’t paddling and it helps with warmth. You can get LJ’s with places to clip a radio etc, but think about whether it will be accessible once inflated. You’ve presumably swum in a buoyancy aid before. A life jacket is worse.
Old 29 June 2018, 17:02   #10

I would just say as you have a grey SIB with grey engine get a red/orange PFD/lifejacket.
Old 29 June 2018, 18:45   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
Personally I use a delta ranger PDF as it has pockets for kit it's not a life jacket and won't self right you head up. I use PDF as it's a good aid for swimming especially long distance swimming! I brought mine a good 10 or even 15 years ago! Since then many PDF companies have made their PDF's with pockets. If you get a PDF make sure it has chest and waist buckles not just a zip.

I would also advise mini rockets, you get 9 shots very loud and vissable day or night, easily kept in the pfd or grab box

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...it/m-2508.aspx

[ATTACH]125565[

If I was going down the PDF route, I'd definitely stick with Adobe, can't fault 'em[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 20:48   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If I was going down the PDF route, I'd definitely stick with Adobe, can't fault 'em[emoji106]

Although if you like a Mac the inbuilt preview does a very good job!
Old 29 June 2018, 21:45   #13

Are the mini rockets in the PDF actually - Flash?
Old 14 July 2018, 22:16   #14

OK boys, just getting this thread back on track

Just bought a couple of LJ's and will also pick up a couple of PFD's later.

Went for LJ's for myself and wife, mine is an auto inflate model with spray hood and light, hers is standard auto inflate. Logic being I may be in the boat on my own at times and if I go over I want maximum "protection". Wife can swim but not great so an auto inflate over a PFD was a sensible choice.

The only other "crew" will be my kids both of whom are excellent swimmers and qualified lifeguards so decent PFD's will be OK for them on the basis that if there is a MOB situation I will be at the helm anyway to hopefully retrieve them reasonably quickly (maybe)

Also gives me the option that if I am launching somewhere where I need to get wet I can use one of the PFD's and swap to the LJ when afloat.

So, after much research etc that is what i decided would work best for us. LJ's were Seago Active and Active Pro 190 (latter gives built in spray hood and light). PFD's will probably be the Palm Hydro's that Fenlander linked to in his thread.

Cheers,

MM
Old 14 July 2018, 22:22   #15

Also went for the first trip out today so have started sorting out some other gear to add to the list.

Anchor 1 - boat came with a 1.5KG Danforth with 2m of chain and 30m rope. May be a bit light (although it is only a 3.3m SIB), but I have now upgarded it to 4m of 6mm chain to give it a bit more weight on the bottom and also moused the shackles with zip ties.

Anchor 2 - also came with a 1.5kg grapnel. this didn't have any chain so have swapped the 2m from the Danforth onto here and will use this as my backup.

Picked up a spare kill cord and some carabiners so i can start to sort out other bits of rigging, including a safety line from the outboard to transom.

Working my way down the list

Cheers,

MM
Old 15 July 2018, 07:21   #16

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
My sib is called 2 Anchors but normally carries just one
Old 15 July 2018, 10:09   #17

Yep mm those are the sort of thought processes needed to work out flotation aids.... we have three different types between us due to carefully considered needs.

Re the rest of the kit... we carry pretty well everything anyone would advise... but it's a lot of weight/bulk on a SIB and the times we are just nipping along the estuary in good weather so leave most behind it's a relief.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:19   #18

Town: Navarre, FL
Boat name: Tali Wacker
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson IMARS
I've got a USN Mk31 Pen Flare Kit that is going into a vertical pouch along with a Mk13 Day/Night Flare and 3x5 signal mirror. I need to look into a color GPS with chart capability and handheld marine radio.