Old 14 October 2014, 21:04   #1

Length: no boat
BSA 470 Good SIB?

First post, so a little about me, I grew up on a world class trout stream in Arkansas. We used to run long fiberglass flatbottom boats on it because of the extremely shallow water. Now I live close to the Ohio river and want an inexpensive boat to explore with. I fell in love with the Zodiac Hurricane and plan to own one when I'm older.

But for now I want something cheaper to cruise around in, geocache, dive, and explore small islands in. What do you guys thing about this boat?

15 4 ft Inflatable Boat Inflatable Rescue Dive Inflatable Raft Power Boat B | eBay
Old 15 October 2014, 04:33   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Start by reading all of this thread.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

In regards to the boat you posted, the old adage would be "you get what you pay for".
Old 16 October 2014, 05:09   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Welcome.

Might also read Jason's thread (BigtallJV) on rebuilding a 733; you might end up with one sooner than later.

jky
Old 16 October 2014, 09:49   #4

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

Looked at the specs for the sib the tube diametre at just under 20 inch is small unless measurements are taken straight through the tube.Anyone else shed any light on it.
Old 16 October 2014, 12:58   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
Hi all

the tube diametre at just under 20 inch is small unless measurements are taken straight through the tube..
What does that mean? Diameter is diameter.

With regard to the boat in question, I'd be very dubious of a boat of that size at that price. I suspect that if you were to calculate how much fabric a boat that size requires, and get a cost on that much fabric in a good quality PVC, it would probably be a fair bit more than the cost of this boat.
Old 16 October 2014, 17:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
What does that mean? Diameter is diameter.

With regard to the boat in question, I'd be very dubious of a boat of that size at that price. I suspect that if you were to calculate how much fabric a boat that size requires, and get a cost on that much fabric in a good quality PVC, it would probably be a fair bit more than the cost of this boat.
You get the point im trying to make though, pains of predictive text Mr picky
Old 16 October 2014, 17:26   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
You get the point im trying to make though, pains of predictive text Mr picky
I don't think he does, or at least I don't... 20 inch is 50cm seems fairly standard to me. The diameter of a cylinder is always measured through the centre.
Old 16 October 2014, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I don't think he does, or at least I don't... 20 inch is 50cm seems fairly standard to me. The diameter of a cylinder is always measured through the centre.
Hi poly

The diameter of my Honwave is 45 inch on the spec sheet.So 20 inch seems a bit small, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.After all tubes are measured by the circumference not through the middle.
Old 16 October 2014, 18:28   #9

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
BSA 470 Good SIB?

Quote:
Hi poly

The diameter of my Honwave is 45 inch

Absolute classic!!😮
Old 16 October 2014, 18:32   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Hi poly

The diameter of my Honwave is 45 inch on the spec sheet.So 20 inch seems a bit small, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.After all tubes are measured by the circumference not through the middle.
Either check the spec sheet of stick a ruler near your tubes, you'll see the are probably 45 cm not inches. which is about 18" and tubes are usually measured as diameter.
Old 16 October 2014, 18:43   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep you're right Poly. I still have the spec sheet pdf on this PC from when we bought our Honwave 3.5m like Dave's.

They are 45cm diameter tubes so 17.75".

My comment on that 470 inflatable is that it looks the standard generic Chinese type which give huge value for money and there is a case... with them being a fraction of the cost of a similar length Zodiac... for buying one new and using it through its 3yr warranty period then moving onto something more substantial if needed and as funds allow.

Possibly better value than buying a tired Zodiac??
Old 16 October 2014, 18:54   #12

Oh yeh my apologies for the mix up having a Hommer moment.
Old 16 October 2014, 20:21   #13

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm thinking I may buy one of these or an Inmar. When I do I will post pics and info on it.

I read through the 733 thread, thats exciting! But for now I need some thing I can pack up and move across the country if I have too. I'm applying to masters programs in about a year and I won't be settled down enough to buy a bigger boat til then.

I also thinking a 40hp Mercury for the outboard. I know where I can get one in good shape for about $1250 locally. It says 40hp is the max that this boat is rated for. Will putting this size motor be hard on the boat? I know it says its rated for it, but I would hate for the boat to start falling apart while cruising down the river lol.
Old 17 October 2014, 17:38   #14

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
That boat looks nice but I would look into a used Hypalon SIB. Out here in CA, there are always good deals on used SIBs, not sure about where you are at though. For that much, you could get a used Hypalon SIB that would last a much longer. My Avon S400 was made in 1988 and was unbreakable. Either way, good luck on the search and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 17 October 2014, 22:35   #15

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I have never heard of anyone complaining about a motor that is max HP for a boat...but I have heard many people complain about not enough power.

If you want the best bang for the buck buy a trailer/boat/motor combo. Anything that big is going to require a trailer.
Old 18 October 2014, 17:33   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworotorturbo View Post
That boat looks nice but I would look into a used Hypalon SIB. Out here in CA, there are always good deals on used SIBs, not sure about where you are at though. For that much, you could get a used Hypalon SIB that would last a much longer. My Avon S400 was made in 1988 and was unbreakable. Either way, good luck on the search and let us know what you end up getting.
Agreed. I've been banging that drum for a while.

Kind of like comparing a 25 year old Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol Diesel that has had reasonable maintenance to a brand new Ford or Chevy 4x4. Those old Japanese trucks might not be as shiny or fresh smelling as the new American trucks, but they will still have a far longer life expectancy ahead of them than the new American offerings.

The bigger the boat, the greater the structural reinforcements needed to keep the boat from falling apart.

Compared to an 11 foot SIB, a 16 foot SIB will need among other things a thicker transom with a stronger transom-tube interfacing, more layers of properly design fabric reinforcements along the length of the boat, sturdier floor boards etc. This greatly increases production costs.

If trying to keep to a strict budget, it is better to go with a smaller sturdy boat than a larger flimsy boat.

I'd be more comfortable having a rough ride in a small but robust boat which I'm confident will make it back to shore than having a smooth ride in a larger flimsy boat with a transom that is about to tear away.
Old 18 October 2014, 18:01   #17

Your not comparing apples to apples. A new diesel Chevy or Ford would run circles around any Japanese vehicle. I think most everyone agrees the best diesel engine ever put into a pickup truck was the 7.3 Powerstroke. My first truck was a 2001 7.3 ford with 300k miles on it, I drove it for 50k miles without any problems.

That said I see your point, since its already starting to get cold I think I'm going to watch ebay and craigslist all winter and see if I can't pick up a Zodiac 470 for a good deal.

As for a trailer, my neighbor (that owes me a few big favors) builds and restores trailers full time for a living. I thought I would just buy the materials, cut everything up and have him weld it together.
Old 18 October 2014, 18:49   #18

You definitely won't go wrong with a used F-470 in good condition. You'd want a trailer for it - sounds like you've got a great vehicle for it.

Speaking of which it is an apples oranges comparison. My patrol with the 4.2 liter diesel (now turbo) is definitely no powerhouse. It certainly has nowhere near the power or torque of powerstrokes, Duramaxes or the Cummins engines being used in North American pickup trucks. However, with regard to the vehicles as a whole, Cruisers and Patrols tend to far outlast North American trucks.

Lots of great F-470 related threads in this section and in the North American section.