Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
Bristol Harbour Aug 8th 2009

Hi folks,

If you're after tales of daring-do and rough water exploits, this isn't the thread for you!

However, if you're interested in what you can do SIB wise in Bristol, or were out and about in Bristol Harbour today, either with a fishing rod attached to the back of your SIB, or you very kindly looped back to check if I'd broken down - this is, indeed, the thread for you!

So the Bristol Harbour festival was last weekend, and with a slightly damp Saturday behind us, Sunday was a fine day to be out in one's SIB along with all the other boaty funsters.

Sadly, other matters previously arranged meant that a trudge around the zoo was the order of the day, so a slightly frustrated Mr & Mrs MikeP miss out on all the harbour festival fun and have to make do with secondhand tales from all their friends who had heard that "you've got a boat" and naturally assumed we'd be "down the festival" with everyone else.

Alas, no.

However, this weekend threw up an unexpected gem - a clear forecast of sun and no rain - in August - who'd have thought it!

Once more, though, pre-arranged events started to conspire against us, and Mrs MikeP had a haircut and some other female malarkey arranged with a 13:45 terminus - our plan thus became for me to attempt my first solo inflation and launch from Hotwells, and then go and pick the missus up near to the hair salon by Bristol Bridge and enjoy a couple of hours of pleasant bimbling around the Bristol harbour environs.

Maths being one of my few strong points, I calculate that in order for us to stay powered for the projected duration, we would need to refuel which, strictly speaking, means removing the outboard from the boat and topping up away from the water.

I didn't fancy that much, given our previous experience trying to drag a meagre 4HP outboard off our SIB, so in a fit of 'go gettum' I decided to get an external fuel tank and line from our preferred supplier (Bristol Boats in Saltford - I cannot recommend them highly enough if you're in the Bristol area).

Anyway, to cut a long story short and not bore you with the obscene number of bottleneck creating traffic lights between Saltford and Bristol - I find myself back in Hotwells at a much later time than anticipated, prepping to launch to go and pick the missus up from her hairdo.

Thankfully, we've evolved a system of dual cheapo Aldi 12V pumps - one per tube - which do most of the gruntwork in getting the boat inflated, so with a bit of a sweaty top up as it was getting a bit warm in the sun, I was down the slipway within 15 minutes of parking up.

Power up was a bit embarassing, as I sincerely thought I had the outboard in neutral, when in fact, the Gods had decided that it was in forward. This would not have been a problem, apart from the two or three very competent looking sailors who were waiting for me to get out of their way.

Suffice it to say, once I'd reversed the boat back off the pontoon, I chugged away nervously looking at my watch, wondering what Mrs MikeP would say when I turned up 20 minutes late to pick her up from her hairdo.

Twenty minutes later I am circling the landing stage by Castle Park, and the steps by Bristol Bridge, wondering where the missus is.

Forty minutes later, I am hanging around on the quiet side of the channel, having had a couple of very nice chaps in a SIB stop by to ask if I'd broken down - "No", I reply, "I'm supposed to be meeting the wife".

Eventually, my mobile phone rings, and it turns out the 13:45 RV should actually have been 14:45.

<sigh>

Thankfully, the hiatus allowed me to suddenly realise that in my haste to arrive on time, I'd forgotten to detach the transom wheels - flipping them up interferes with the travel of the outboard, so we've been unscrewing the wingnuts and removing them completely once we're in the water. Not a big deal, but you have to remember to do it as they're invisible once you're in the water.

Of course, without my co-pilot to check and double check, I'd forgotten this basic step and had been dragging them through the water like a numpty since launch.

<sigh>

In the interim, the missus had stopped into a nice sandwich shop and got us some eats, so after picking her up from the side of Bristol Bridge, we headed towards Temple Meads and briefly moored up to eat our lunch and consider the architectural merits of the new buildings and bridges.

Once again, we were overtaken by the "Young Bristol" rowing boat. There must be a way to stop this occurring so regularly.

From there, we motored down onto Feeder Canal, and to my surprise when we got to Netham Lock, it was open (until 9pm, the stern lock-keeper informed us) and we were able to motor through onto the Avon. This was an unexpected bonus, so we made good headway down past the legendary Beese's Tea Gardens almost to Hanham, all the while admiring the scenery and wondering where the hell we were - distance and perspective are very different when you're on the river, and we've probably driven left and right over all of the area without appreciating where the river runs.

A short stop by a nettle infested fishing ledge allowed yours truly to answer a call of nature, and then we're motoring back to Bristol suddenly realising that we'd been fighting a 2mph current thus far, and going downstream requires less revs for the same speed. Bonus!

In a bizarre twist, I spot a narrow boat parked at a rather jaunty angle to the riverbank with the male occupant descending into the engine compartment with a spanner in his hand. After a short discussion with Mrs MikeP, we decide to loop back and enquire if they are OK (although what can we do in a 3M SIB to help a hulking great narrowboat ? Good point).

In a strange 'small world' scenario, it turns out to be some old friends we've not seen for years and their engine has conked out. Despite ferrying one of them back to Beese's to see if engineering help can be had, we end up leaving them stranded awaiting the arrival of the Bristol Harbour Master for a tow at upmty-ump pounds for the pleasure; I just couldn't think of a safe or meaningful way for a 3m SIB with a 4HP motor to help them out in their four berth narrowboat. However, it did make me question whether they should invest in some oars as a backup.....

And so back to Bristol we went, enjoying the ride over the wash from the Harbour Master's rescue tug on the Feeder Canal, and - as you can see from the attached - we realised in our eagerness to engage in boat related fun, we'd forgotten that the balloon fiesta was this weekend, and the sky was literally lit up with balloons.

The other thing that was lit up was the Baltic Wharf quay with, probably, hundreds of people quite rightfully enjoying not only the weather but the balloons as well. Thankfully, our landing was smoother than my launching, and with transom wheels firmly engaged, we emerged from the water like we'd been doing that sort of thing for ages (ahem).

So, all in all, a fun day - almost six hours on the water, got out onto the river when we didn't expect to, external fuel tank worked a treat, snagged pretty much a complete black bag full of plastic bottles and other garbage, and did a good deed trying to help some stranded boaters.

It might only be a few bits of PVC with some air in and a small engine on the back, but it's the most fun we've had for years. And the big, big thing for me is the jaunty waves and positive attitude we've experienced from fellow boaters that is 1000000 miles from the behaviour you see on the roads.

Finally, a couple of pics of the missus and the balloons; I leave you to pick one from t'other :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00307s.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	44656   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00309s.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	44657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00310s.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	44658  
Old 09 August 2009, 04:32   #2

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
Nicely done!

I'd like to have a day out with my mistress and the little one, and it is with out my fishing set. Just to ride around, visit and view places on the sunny day.
Old 09 August 2009, 09:52   #3

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

The other thing that was lit up was the Baltic Wharf quay with, probably, hundreds of people quite rightfully enjoying not only the weather but the balloons as well.

Me included I was enjoying a cold beer from the cottage pub while watching the red arrows and the balloons.
Old 09 August 2009, 14:56   #4

Town: Cumbria
Length: 4m +
My favourite bit..........the transom wheels!

Shouldn't laugh, we've all done something similar, usually forgetting the bung or worse!

Surprised at Mrs MikeP though; getting her hair done just to go out on a SIB? That's commitment!

Excellent write-up!

Ps. Instead of your narrow boat friends investing in oars, what about an old British Seagull outboard? Some of them were specifically designed/geared for pushing barges and although ugly as sin they are hardy beasts and very simple. Oh, and nowadays, cheap as the proverbial tasty deep-fried potatoes!
Old 09 August 2009, 15:38   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Nice write up. Looks like a great time. Thats alot of balloons in the air all in the same area! You'd think they'd be concerned about colliding with each other!
Old 09 August 2009, 16:15   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Bristol is the home of hot air balloons. The world's top companies are based there - the festival is amazing!!!
Old 09 August 2009, 16:45   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Bristol is the home of hot air balloons. The world's top companies are based there - the festival is amazing!!!
That certainly would be an amazing thing to see in person.
Old 09 August 2009, 20:24   #8

I've just come back from a mass launch. Quite something really, maybe I'll get some pics online...
Old 09 August 2009, 20:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim View Post
I've just come back from a mass launch. Quite something really, maybe I'll get some pics online...
Yes please.

The best ones I have seen are

RAC van
Bertie Basset
Giant teapot
Telephone box
Old 09 August 2009, 21:30   #10

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
are these any good!

this was the sunday take off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	44672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	44673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	44674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	44675  
Old 09 August 2009, 21:34   #11

few more!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	44676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	44677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	44678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	44679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	44680  

Old 09 August 2009, 21:45   #12

Balloon Fiesta pics

and some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	44681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	44682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	44683  
Old 09 August 2009, 22:03   #13

Matt, it appears we have been unknowingly stalking each other this weekend

My pictures can't really compete with yours since you managed to get yourself in a balloon! Were you one of the bunch in the Bristol Balloons balloon that ducked down and then all popped up at once?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	44684  
Old 09 August 2009, 22:19   #14

Were there any of the fancy ones there?

like these................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inflatablevader.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	44685   Click image for larger version

Name:	van_lead.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	44686   Click image for larger version

Name:	95.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	44687  
Old 09 August 2009, 23:22   #15

Heh, nice to see my post has got us talking about other kinds of inflatables, eh ?
Old 10 August 2009, 05:58   #16

sorry mike, !!
Old 10 August 2009, 08:41   #17

Town: Cumbria
Apologies in advance Mike but just the chance to post my favourite picture is too good to miss....

Picture 2 in this selection

Promise, that's the last one I'm posting!
Old 10 August 2009, 09:44   #18

No need for apologies, guys - enjoying all the pics! I've not yet plucked up courage to take my digi SLR on the SIB - it's actually quite bulky with lenses, etc, so been relying on the camera phone up until now.
Old 10 August 2009, 16:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
No need for apologies, guys - enjoying all the pics! I've not yet plucked up courage to take my digi SLR on the SIB - it's actually quite bulky with lenses, etc, so been relying on the camera phone up until now.
That's the whole point in something like a Lumix with a 12x optical zoom but this is not the place to start that all over again............

Really good write up by the way - enjoyed it!!!
Old 10 August 2009, 19:03   #20

apologies, I though mike and matt were the same person