Old 27 July 2018, 08:46   #1

Town: Lawrence
Make: Bris BSA380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20AS2
Bris BSA 380 and Susuki DF20 AS2

Been lurking around this site for awhile and have enjoyed the posts and videos. Thought I would post link to an overview of my setup on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/YjVJfUZO-FQ

Let me know thoughts and comments.

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 27 July 2018, 10:47   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello Ivan and welcome to the forum as a poster.

I watched the whole video and although lengthy it covers quite a few of the issues surrounding hard vs air floor and larger vs small OBs etc.

Of course you have the same Suzuki as I've just sold after enjoying its benefits for the past 2+ years. But in our circumstance it was just that bit too heavy for my daily setup routine. You commented about the tank size and I did upgrade mine to 25lit to give a larger safety margin on longer sea trips.

I'm not sure how far the sea is from you but will this be mostly for lake outings or will you get to the coast at all?

David
Old 27 July 2018, 13:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hello Ivan and welcome to the forum as a poster.

I watched the whole video and although lengthy it covers quite a few of the issues surrounding hard vs air floor and larger vs small OBs etc.

Of course you have the same Suzuki as I've just sold after enjoying its benefits for the past 2+ years. But in our circumstance it was just that bit too heavy for my daily setup routine. You commented about the tank size and I did upgrade mine to 25lit to give a larger safety margin on longer sea trips.

I'm not sure how far the sea is from you but will this be mostly for lake outings or will you get to the coast at all?

David
David,

The majority of its use will be on lakes. Where I live in the States there are large number of lakes, many are run by the Corp of Engineers and are man made. Having said that, I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico, and I do plan to take it there at some point. In my hometown on the Gulf, there are decent size rivers, a bay, and then the Gulf itself.

I don't blame you about going to a lighter motor. When I first took the Suzuki out of the box I wondered if I had made a mistake, given my goal of having a setup that would not be trailered on camping trips. It's an awkward lift. I ended up making a homemade engine stand with wheels that rolls right to the back of my vehicle. That has been helpful, but the stand stays in my garage, I don't take it with me. I do have concerns for the weight: first, my back, and second, I don't want to damage the motor during lifting.

I believe my solution is a trailer. I am looking for a small used trailer that I can modify for the boat. During the "not cold" months, I can keep the boat trailered, and for camping trips or non trailered trips, my wife and son are able to help with the lifting.

Ivan
Old 27 July 2018, 13:57   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi

have you thought of a side mount roof rack to fit on the rails on your truck best of both worlds then.this sort of thing

https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-...ift-roof-racks

cheers jeff
Old 27 July 2018, 14:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
hi

have you thought of a side mount roof rack to fit on the rails on your truck best of both worlds then.this sort of thing

https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-...ift-roof-racks

cheers jeff
I had not, thanks for sharing. What I would love to have is a folding boat trailer, but the majority of these are sold in the UK, Australia, or NZ, and are cost prohibitive for me in the states.

Ivan
Old 27 July 2018, 14:22   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
to be honest Ivan when i sold my RIB and bought the SIB i knew from old i wasn't ever going to manhandle the boat in terms of building and set up each time i wanted to use it, besides my suzuki 25 at 61 kg [134 lbs ]is too much of a lump and having an off the shelf trailer was ok but i had a new one made to my spec which has made it as good as it gets. now my boat is round the back covered up with all my kit in it ready to go. you can't see it in the picture but i have a winch on to aid recovery on my own
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_081008.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	126084  
Old 27 July 2018, 16:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
to be honest Ivan when i sold my RIB and bought the SIB i knew from old i wasn't ever going to manhandle the boat in terms of building and set up each time i wanted to use it, besides my suzuki 25 at 61 kg [134 lbs ]is too much of a lump and having an off the shelf trailer was ok but i had a new one made to my spec which has made it as good as it gets. now my boat is round the back covered up with all my kit in it ready to go. you can't see it in the picture but i have a winch on to aid recovery on my own
That looks perfect. I am looking around for a jet ski/personal water craft trailer and am going to modify it like the gentleman did in the video below. It is generally like your rig but not as sleek.

https://youtu.be/BzmDk3yP7fQ