Old 15 March 2011, 16:43   #1

Town: NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA
Make: ZODIAC FC470 CRRC
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke
Bridle lifting points

I use a crane to launch my FC470. Currently, for the two stern attachment points I use one of the carrying handles on either side, which take the load quite well, and the bow "eye" attachment point. Thus, I use a 3 point attachment.

My question is whether I would be better off installing two lifting eyes on the transom, rather than using the stern carrying handles. There are D rings in on the outside of the port and starbord tubes, but they are affixed vertically which I think would not handle the load sufficiently.

Zodiac dealer suggests installing lifting eyes on the transom. I trust his recommendation. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 15 March 2011, 17:59   #2

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport F470 View Post
I use a crane to launch my FC470. Currently, for the two stern attachment points I use one of the carrying handles on either side, which take the load quite well, and the bow "eye" attachment point. Thus, I use a 3 point attachment.

My question is whether I would be better off installing two lifting eyes on the transom, rather than using the stern carrying handles. There are D rings in on the outside of the port and starbord tubes, but they are affixed vertically which I think would not handle the load sufficiently.

Zodiac dealer suggests installing lifting eyes on the transom. I trust his recommendation. Any thoughts, suggestions?
You want to lift it flat or you can lift it from one end only?
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 18:02   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
My FC470 came with 2 lifting rings bolted through the transom. But all the instruction manuals etc say you should not lift the boat or tow it without removing the engine first.
Old 15 March 2011, 18:20   #4

My intent is to lift it "flat." Two attachment points in stern, one in bow.
Old 15 March 2011, 21:03   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
My inflatable is fitted for crane lifting (ex rnli ) has 2 Eye pads bolted and with backing plate on the transom and another 2 eye pads bolted through on the front board .

They are rated if needed to lift in/out a fully kitted boat with engine plus 5 persons .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035 (2).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	57658   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	57659  
Old 16 March 2011, 23:33   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I have everything to build my own rigging, just have another couple projects on the list before the sling project begins.

Many people use bow eyes/stern rings on the transom. They are a requirement at some of our hoists.

I prefer the idea of going all the way under the boat at the bow and passing the sling thru the handles to keep the bow strap in place.

Here is another way to do it adding in rings on the front sides.

You will need a lifting point to set the sling up correctly for balance. This can be a solid object or a forklift. Make sure the eye you use is large enough for the hoist you plan to launch from. Some are massive!

BTW the two D rings in the front I use for a towing/anchoring bridle. I built a bridle that is then passed thru the bow eye and has a knot at the end of it. I use a screw lock carabiner to attach the anchor rope to the bridle. This disperses the load over two attachment points when anchored and if one breaks I have redundancy. I need my boat to be there when I get back to the surface.
Old 17 March 2011, 01:03   #7

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Hey! I recognize that boat. Ha. Thought I should comment on the current state of my sling set up. Each leg of my sling is rated at more than twice the weight of my entire boat. I had to add backing plates to my rated eye bolts at the transom to be in compliance at my local lift. I also want to use the lift at the Pier in Gaviota California. It is an even more tightly regulated lift. I have added a straight sling section that attaches to the forward overhead sling arms with two more shackles so that there is a continuous sling under the front of the boat (held in position by passing through the d rings). Seems like overkill, but it is a safe set up and is required. Zodiac advises that lifting rings be fixed to the bouyancy tubes, never on the floor. If you didn't watch the tube pressure you could pull the floor out I suppose. Whether you feel compelled to fill the requirements of our illustrious Parks department or not, they do have very nice illustrated instructions for proper lift use on a long drop. Check out the links on this page. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=606

It is interesting that the Parks department prohibits Chinese shackles regardless of ratings stamped on them. I guess there are a lot of fakes. Be careful out there.
Old 17 March 2011, 15:22   #8

Town: Pasadena
Boat name: El Barco Más Rudo
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 40HP
Here's some pics of how I set up my boat for the Gaviota hoist. Note the 1/8" thick backing plates they require on the transom U bolts and the "basket sling" that goes completely under the bow.

Here's a list of sling vendors in California if you're interested in getting set up:

Old 17 March 2011, 15:44   #9

Great info, thank you very much. I like the idea of a "sling basket" under the bow, up through the handles to keep it in place. That makes more sense than using just the bow ring as the bow attachment point. As strong as the bow ring appears, it was a little sketchy when I hoisted the boat using the bow ring last weekend. I have some spare web/strap, I will fabricate something up.

Thanks again!
Old 17 March 2011, 16:01   #10

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Nice photos. If I ever find the time, get the lift training scheduled, wedge into the campground and rook a partner to launch with I will get to launch from the pier. Dang. Other than a few military check points and cartel drive by's going to Mexico is just so much easier to deal with!

Do the Rangers at Gaviota specifically require a single piece continuous forward sling or will my shackled (rated) extension probably work? I understand that my rated eyes with backing plates may not pass for the u bolts there.

Might have to stick with beach launching. Always entertaining!

My handles don't line up well with the hoist straps under tension. I think the added d rings are the way to go to guide the straps.
Old 17 March 2011, 16:13   #11

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I have used the big brothers to yours on board ship, we had 12 stacked in 2 groups, as I recall they had 2 eyes on the transom and 2 up front, cant remember if it was in the ally floors or a cross member.

these were hoisted with engine and fuel on a daily basis
Old 17 March 2011, 16:43   #12

Town: Pasadena
Boat name: El Barco Más Rudo
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 40HP
Getting certified to use the hoist at Gaviota redefines the meaning of red tape!

Yes, it has to be a continuous piece of webbing for the front sling on an inflatable, held in place by D-rings (not just the handles) on the outside of the tubes.

An inflatable boat dealer who'd set up boats for the hoist previously insisted that the D-rings that were already on the boat on the inside of the tubes would suffice as lifting points but I failed my initial inspection because I didn't have a basket sling/outside D-ring set up.

The backstory I was told is that it was originally operated on an honor system with little or no regulation at all. Apparently there was an accident when a sling or a lifting point failed and, as a result, the state conducted a thorough investigation of the operation. The investigators identified multiple safety violations and drew up a long list of recommendations that had to be met before anyone was allowed to use the hoist again.

As a side note, the hoist is currently closed while they make some upgrades and renovate the pier. I'm sure there's an even longer than usual backlog for hoist inspections and classes.

If you have beach wheels, you can use them at Gaviota but your vehicle can't go on the sand and it's probably 50-75 yards between the road and the water. I know people hand launch 16' inflatables there but it's a bit of a struggle.

Baja sounds so much easier (though perhaps there's more chance of getting shot . Are there many places to trailer launch or do you need beach wheels?

Kelson -- I'm planning a boat camping trip to Lake Powell next month. Would you mind PM'ing me with some tips and pointers when you have a minute?

Cheers,

Jon
Old 17 March 2011, 19:16   #13

Has anyone ever launched, beach or otherwise, at San Simeon? There used to be a crane off the pier, but I think that has since been closed.