Old 20 January 2009, 18:29   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Bravo Pump Preassure

Hi to you all,

On reading many threads on electric pumps i decided to buy a Bravo BST 12HP and am very impressed with it.

The question i have for you fellow sibbers is how accurate is the pump in regards to the pressure settings? I set the pump to the required pressure and in minutes it inflated beautifully however on checking with the manometer (came with boat) it was nearly a full bar down. Do i go with the pump or the manometer? Is there any reliable way of checking or calibrating?

Also what do you use to make the pump more portable, a seperate battery, power pack? Although a bit more costly i wish i bought the rechargable pump.

Your advice appreciated.
Old 20 January 2009, 20:21   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Hi to you all,

On reading many threads on electric pumps i decided to buy a Bravo BST 12HP and am very impressed with it.

The question i have for you fellow sibbers is how accurate is the pump in regards to the pressure settings? I set the pump to the required pressure and in minutes it inflated beautifully however on checking with the manometer (came with boat) it was nearly a full bar down. Do i go with the pump or the manometer? Is there any reliable way of checking or calibrating?

Also what do you use to make the pump more portable, a seperate battery, power pack? Although a bit more costly i wish i bought the rechargable pump.

Your advice appreciated.
According to my bad experience with Bravo Gauges, have found that same 2 can read differently, seems are lacking factory approval inspection tests. Bought 20, all read different, were a real headache, sent an email to Defender, the place they were bough at stating the faulty reading trouble found, their ansewer: you are the only guy, weird, loco or whatever name was applied to me that have complained about, if not happy send them back for full refund, a very nice hand wash keeping in mind that the gauges were 15 thousand kilometers away from USA to apply for a expensive send them back cost issue for total refund.

The solutiuon was simple, inflated a sib to 3.0 PSI with a precise gauge, place one by one Bravo gauges and marked plastic scale with tiny dot using red nail paint. No matter what the scale reading was, were the needle stopped at the red dot, that was the correct and well calibrated 3.0 PSI reading.

If the gauge are like these, are problem gauges, check pics. One precise big gauge that would recommend you is CEREDI (pic 2) a reputed marine Italian brand. More expensive than Bravo, but superb craftmanship and accurate readings. Don't need to get inside sib to read as they work side ways, can read from inside/outside of sib(pic 3)

What you can do is: if your electric pump has the variable air pressure inflation system, calibrate to 3.0, inflate all tubes to this pressure untill pump stops, use the spare one and see how much pressure differes from the electric pump gauge reading. Which one is correct, that's another guess story. Will need a third reputed one to conclude finale.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bravo Gauges.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	40086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceredi Gauge.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	40087   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	40088  
Old 20 January 2009, 20:41   #3

Loco,

As always an informative reply.

Thanks
Old 21 January 2009, 13:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Loco,

As always an informative reply.

Thanks
Gibbo, you are welcome, have passed through many sibbing issues, problems, have tested lot's of differente brands pumps, gauges, valves, fabrics, glues, etc. Presently working with best trouble free products. With no single claim at all.

You cannot sacrifice any inflatable using bad accurate gauges, imagine delivering a faulty gauge to any client and using his sib in very hot areas, for sure a potential seam claim. A gauge, is a must issue for any sibber/ribber user, most mates don't care much about getting one by diverse causes like cost, which brands available, where to buy, etc.

It would be very nice if somebody in UK would be intrested in importing this nice brand and re selling to Rib Netters, they can be payed by wire transfer and delivered to UK via TNT from Italy.

Just contact me to give full factory details.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceredi Gauges.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	40097  
Old 21 January 2009, 14:21   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
In my experience very few people ever bother with a gauge and do just fine. I know it's a bit more important with air floor SIBs, and possibly in hot places too, but is there really much benefit to the average user?

I'm happy to see if I can stock some though if there's a demand.
Old 21 January 2009, 14:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
In my experience very few people ever bother with a gauge and do just fine. I know it's a bit more important with air floor SIBs, and possibly in hot places too, but is there really much benefit to the average user?

John,

I would be interested.

Thanks
Old 21 January 2009, 15:24   #7

Town: Hampshire
I'll have one.
Old 21 January 2009, 17:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

Same issue happened down here, nowbody used them, nor had them in stock, liked the finger touch or bending end cone issue, as stated before, sorry if I sound like and old recoord, but if you haven't inflated a sib to it's correct working pressurte, you won't know for sure how finger hard or end cone flex should be inflate to. Won't know either the sib diffrence nice performance untill you try one out. And let me tell you they work, and will make your beloved toy last longer without seam or transom troubles.

A matter to make an internal survey to see how many would be interested, and the investment is cheap.

Happy Sibbing
Old 27 September 2011, 05:24   #9

Make: Promarine
Engine: 25hp 2002 Johnson
Hey some raw quantity/cost figures would be much appreciated please
Old 27 September 2011, 16:35   #10

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
According to my bad experience with Bravo Gauges, have found that same 2 can read differently, seems are lacking factory approval inspection tests. Bought 20, all read different, were a real headache, sent an email to Defender, the place they were bough at stating the faulty reading trouble found, their ansewer: you are the only guy, weird, loco or whatever name was applied to me that have complained about, if not happy send them back for full refund, a very nice hand wash keeping in mind that the gauges were 15 thousand kilometers away from USA to apply for a expensive send them back cost issue for total refund.

The solutiuon was simple, inflated a sib to 3.0 PSI with a precise gauge, place one by one Bravo gauges and marked plastic scale with tiny dot using red nail paint. No matter what the scale reading was, were the needle stopped at the red dot, that was the correct and well calibrated 3.0 PSI reading.

If the gauge are like these, are problem gauges, check pics. One precise big gauge that would recommend you is CEREDI (pic 2) a reputed marine Italian brand. More expensive than Bravo, but superb craftmanship and accurate readings. Don't need to get inside sib to read as they work side ways, can read from inside/outside of sib(pic 3)

What you can do is: if your electric pump has the variable air pressure inflation system, calibrate to 3.0, inflate all tubes to this pressure untill pump stops, use the spare one and see how much pressure differes from the electric pump gauge reading. Which one is correct, that's another guess story. Will need a third reputed one to conclude finale.

Happy Sibbing
Had the same issue with our Bravo manometers, none of them gives the same results. Thanks for the Ceredy info, I'll make sure to try to stock those for our next season. You say that they are more expensive, how bad is it comparing to Bravo ones?
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2011, 20:00   #11

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Here's a chat about DIY pressure gauges.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/adaptin...sib-42375.html
Old 03 January 2016, 13:34   #12

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Bravo 12 BST HP on second day's use fails to cut into high pressure mode, despite the valves on the boat being set right, worked beautifully yesterday, any ideas? Analogue version. Perhaps it got wet.
Old 03 January 2016, 14:35   #13

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just spotted you'd asked here too.

How about testing the pump by dialing in a high setting and running it with your thumb over the hose end to check 100% it's the pump at fault.

As a matter of interest does the dial type show the actual pressure on a needle as it rises or is the needle just for the set pressure?
Old 05 January 2016, 15:12   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Don't know about Firstrib's but my pump has a wheel where you set the cut-off pressure. No gauge.

jky