Old 21 September 2017, 10:40   #1

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Bombard - yet another review

Hi all

Finally got the second Bombard 2014 version with patches from Barnet Marine out on the water

Launched from Polly Steps on Sunday, had outboard issues (stalling at tick over) so had it running by the slip and as seems ok took it up river in case of a failure. Ran ok until I stopped, then stalled. Anchor down, hood off, filter swap = running, then stalled again. Checked spark plugs, mint, thank you Fenlander. Google on phone results.. check bulb no splits, check possible gum in fuel connection to outboard, result petrol in eye.., own. ok that works, squeezed bulb all seems ok. Ran for a bit then conked out. Eventually ran with no issues after further squeezing, I think some kind of blockage. Old fuel? Outboard at higher revs was enough to pull through the fuel. Will do a flush out to be on the safe side. Following all that it ran like a sewing machine

Back to the boat, what's this? Twitchy nose? Responds to tiller, in a way a bit over sensitive but that's as it has more of a 'keel'. Ran along the river fine, up on plane quickly over the hump and throttled back to stay on plane but at lesser revs. Not as possible in the Honwave

Confidence up I left the estuary mouth to be met with for me a large swell of 3' or so waves, tide Vs river flow? Described it to a friend I said the boat 'creamed' through the waves. As the first one hit front on I was expecting the usual slam/slap but nothing, just quietly went more or less through the wave. So much so that I settled into the scoop of the floor and could've happily continued save it was getting dusk

Would like to see how this varies with the short chop around Essex, will let you know

Wheels, I do not like, need to make some flip up types. Also have not got tube inflation to fine art yet with valves/valve adaptors/Bravo. Supplied foot pump and guage is guess work ATM

Fishing for a few hours was also decent, a good day
Old 21 September 2017, 12:24   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
You can buy the flip up Trem wheels which are certainly the most popular
Old 21 September 2017, 16:22   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Typhoon, Aerotec, or Commando?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 17:51   #4

Sorry clumsy post. Aerotec 380 is the model, yes Matt Trem wheels sound good, will have a dig around on the forum for suppliers although tempted to make my own with C channel and box channel + bits bobs and those light weight sand wheels.. try to submerge wheel barrow tyres was a knuckle scraper /crusher in the tide
Old 21 September 2017, 18:15   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
The trem version are really easy to push down or up under the water as really well weighted
Old 21 September 2017, 21:53   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yaba.... Sorry to hear the OB gave some trouble. In truth we do ask a great deal of them with long period unused then making full use of 6000rpm!

The Aerotec does feel a little different to other SIBs. Floor down on pressure (cooled once in water effect) will allow it to steer a little. But the worse thing for causing this is too much weight at bow causing bow steer which feels quite unnerving. It happens to me if I try and go out solo sitting on the seat with a tiller extension.

If you are saying it holds on the plane easier than the Honwave I think I know what you mean. The deep V means it is far more progressive through the "hump" both on the way up and the way back down. Far less falling off the plane and going bow high to get back up.

We had some interesting experiences testing the Aerotec's ability in the estuary mouth!

In the West Mersea area in a short chop and compared to our previous SIB it has increased our ability from having to remain at displacement speed to maintaining a 14kt cruise.

I guess you have the Zodiac OE wheels? If the only issue with them was excess buoyancy remember you can just swap to sandhopper type solid wheels/tyres... but perhaps you want a flip type anyway.
Old 22 September 2017, 09:59   #7

Hi Fenlander, no issues with your outboard more my lack of regular use, it runs so well and to work out the fuel issue I used the spark plug tool and filter you included with the sale, in the shallows at anchor in a falling tide I was grateful!

I haven't got the inflation down to a fine art yet, the bravo I use has a hose with a nicely fitting adapter for the high pressure floor but the bravo struggles to get it to the recommended pressure. I've tried the foot pump supplied but with two feet on it I'm struggling there too. Will try the quicksilver pump I've bought and see how that goes. Adaptors/pump and main tubes are a similar ill fitting experience - Halkey lock valve would be preferable

I was solo, did use the tiller extension but still behind the seat, I suppose twitchy but maybe my point was also that is was sensitive which actually is more in line with my small sailing boat experience - supposed to be there. Made me more alert in any case, the Honwave does a slow left right in comparison (also doesn't make such a tight turn so you can jump your own bow wave )

Good point re the wheels but I also am not a fan of the handle bolt, another thing to lose. Flip up/down for me is safer /quicker/easier. As an interim there's a pair of sand hoppers used on eBay for £10 might try them good tip!

How interesting was the estuary mouth? I initially said 'turn back you fool' then I thought, oh wait this is quite good fun, if a little scary

Forgot to mention splash... None..? Came with splash guard, home made?? I could see it working, could see the plume of water wanting to get up but being held back by the guard. - had a chock of timber under the outboard for reference
Old 23 September 2017, 08:21   #8

Is your Bravo old? Mine at about 6yrs started refusing to make full floor pressure late last year... it just cuts out about 80% of the way there. So I top off with the OE footpump which works fine. Surely you have the dual stage footpump where you take out a plug once up to LP so pumping to HP is easier but a bit frantic.

To be honest I prefer any SIB with one crew (the best movable ballast) but particularly the Aerotec which goes through a heavier sea so much better with someone on the seat. I mentioned your comments to Mrs F and she said a sack of potatoes was required if you were otherwise solo.

However if you don't think it was to pressure then you haven't had the proper full experience yet. With a normal air floor SIB when the floor pressure is a bit low it suffers the "running over a whale" hump feeling. With the Aerotec if one or other side of the floor is down on pressure due to the V the effect isn't a humping but more of a slight twitchy steering effect.

No splash... that's excellent... chuck up a picture of the mod the boat came with when you have a chance.

Re the Teign entrance. It was often easy during our two weeks but we did experience it on two or three days where it was fun to go to the outer markers and spend 20mins out beyond there but rough enough that I didn't want to be out too long in case it became worse over time giving us an uncomfortable return.
Old 24 September 2017, 15:19   #9

A few photos attached of the 'splash guard' It looks well if not professionally made? 3mm aluminium plate with 4mm rubber sandwiched and riveted between the plates. It came screwed to the transom just above the drain holes. The fella at BM that showed me around the boat said it came as standard with the boat, I don't know if this is the case or not? No other mention of it on this forum so far that I've seen. So far it does the job

The Bravo came with my Honwave which is 10 years old approx, could it be that old? I can get the pressure so far with the hammer action of the pump, after a while it gets slower, doesn't cut out but I feel like I'm flogging an old horse so switched to manual pump. Same for tubes and floor, similar pressure for the Honwave tubes but no issues there - and for the floor I recollect. Any tips going on adapter for the main tubes? I'll try to take a photo of what I've got but essentially the size that fit the high pressure floor valves needs an adapter, the various ones supplied with my quicksilver pump Quicksilver Inflatable Pump & Valve Adaptors Gauge - Pacermarine sort of do the job but not a snug fit - have to keep pressure on to keep it in place and to reduce air leaks from pump

My sack of potatoes wasn't available for this trip, I'll ask her again for the next excursion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.25.41.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	121975   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.25.30.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	121976   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.25.07.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	121977   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.22.44.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	121978   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.23.04.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	121979  

Old 24 September 2017, 20:41   #10

You need one of these valve adaptors... https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/produ...nt=10589331207 Just make sure it has the crosspiece inside which opens the valve or sometimes the pump struggles to overcome the valve. In fact could this be your problem inflating?

That splash guard looks a good DIY job. In fact it looks familiar... I've seen it or a near identical one pictured somewhere online. Ahh this might be your Aerotec... post #7... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/old-use...ons-68875.html

Mrs F meant no disrespect re ballast... just we are of that generation where the standard answer to a Ford Anglia or similar that was a bit light on the rear was "a sack of spuds in the boot".
Old 25 September 2017, 07:08   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's BS from BM!

Bombard did not make it - a wet boater did. Perhaps he meant as 'standard' that it was included/installed etc but certainly not from the factory.

DIY splash guard:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...tml#post750340

Re' twitchy nose - most SIB's really benefit from some weight in the bow - dry bags of gear/Pelicase/anchor whatever - all will make it handle better but will dull WOT top end a touch.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:50   #12

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
That's BS from BM!

Bombard did not make it - a wet boater did. Perhaps he meant as 'standard' that it was included/installed etc but certainly not from the factory.

That's also what BM also told me when I bought that Aerotec. Utter BS

It's also not a homemade contraption either, they are sold by Quicksilver for their inflatables [emoji106]
Old 25 September 2017, 09:04   #13

>>>sold by Quicksilver for their inflatables

Any link? My OB/Aerotec combo hardly needs one and I can't be bothered to DIY... but if I could buy one....
Old 25 September 2017, 10:05   #14

Have to say my experience of BM is a good one, decent people good service etc. Don’t think they were intentionally lying maybe had just been told it came with the boat by manufacturer perhaps

Moving on from that, good if not excellent memory Fenlander and if this part is available from Quicksilver 69cmw I’m sure it would help a few more owners in the future. It’s a sturdy bit of kit
Old 30 June 2018, 12:20   #15

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Yes I made a simikar splash guard which seems to work well