Old 24 May 2016, 04:02   #1

Town: Southern California
Length: 3m +
Bombard Typhoon 420/470? Can't find any info on it.

Hey guys.

Sorry I'm bombarding (joke intended) the forums but I'm rethinking purchasing the Zodiac Classic. Just getting into the sport, it's a good chunk of change, and I can't find an MK2 anywhere at a reasonable price, only the MK2C.

I know Bombard makes the C3 and 4, BUT, i found this awesome thing:

2015 Bombard Typhoon 470 AL (aluminum floors)

And

Bombard Typhoon 420 Aluminum Floor

However, I can't find any information on it. I know Zodiac bought Bombard, but literally I can't find it officially on any website. Or it looks different. I think the 14' 15' models are totally different than previous models (before the buyout).

Does anyone know the quality of these? ie seams and material? Are they still made in France? I'm guessing the floor anchors for Zodiak will also work with this too. This just seems like a really great deal, but I'm so new to this I don't want to get squandered. I don't plan to use it for commercial use or anything gnarly, simply rec use and maybe on some longish voyages.

For $1300 I get a 14' boat, where the MK2C is $3100 for 12'6". MK2's are even higher, but you know that.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:05   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I always accept there are different conditions, average use and opinions on SIBs in the USA so Office888 is usually the guy for USA based thoughts.

Have to say though those Bombard Typhoon prices are amazing. They are about 40% less than the usual UK discount price so a lot of SIB fo the money.

The difference is obviously in build quality/methods compared to the Classic. I guess you could say the Classic would stand up better to repeated use and last a lifetime (well a good part of one) whereas the Typhoon would suit less frequent use and perhaps be considered for replacement earlier.

So I'd say it's very much a personal thing but if you are a light leisure user at those prices they have to be considered.

Also the saving would allow you to upgrade to a newer and larger outboard which I'd think would be a great (I have to say essential to me) benefit for some of your longer planned trips.
Old 24 May 2016, 09:27   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Hey guys.

Sorry I'm bombarding (joke intended) the forums but I'm rethinking purchasing the Zodiac Classic. Just getting into the sport, it's a good chunk of change, and I can't find an MK2 anywhere at a reasonable price, only the MK2C.

I know Bombard makes the C3 and 4, BUT, i found this awesome thing:

2015 Bombard Typhoon 470 AL (aluminum floors)

And

Bombard Typhoon 420 Aluminum Floor

However, I can't find any information on it. I know Zodiac bought Bombard, but literally I can't find it officially on any website. Or it looks different. I think the 14' 15' models are totally different than previous models (before the buyout).

Does anyone know the quality of these? ie seams and material? Are they still made in France? I'm guessing the floor anchors for Zodiak will also work with this too. This just seems like a really great deal, but I'm so new to this I don't want to get squandered. I don't plan to use it for commercial use or anything gnarly, simply rec use and maybe on some longish voyages.

For $1300 I get a 14' boat, where the MK2C is $3100 for 12'6". MK2's are even higher, but you know that.

Thoughts? Thanks.
I nearly bought the 420 french made as far as i know but i went for the mercury HD 365 instead the good thing with the typhoon is 5 chambers takes a 25 hp and a good price, over here anyway only thing that stopped me was not available when zodiac were taken over have a look at ronhale marine they have a full spec on there.

cheers let us know how you get on.
Old 24 May 2016, 09:41   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It seems there were quite a few Typhoons about at keen prices even when other Zodiac models have been hard to come by over Zodiacs "odd" period... that did make me wonder if they were made elsewhere but I don't know.

When I was looking for a new Aerotec in 2015 and dealers were telling me there were none left in the country more than one offered me a Typhoon as an alternative, they had plenty of them. One particular dealer really annoyed me knowing I wanted the very specific Aerotec design told me the Typhoons were "identical just cheaper". Really put me off dealing with the guy.
Old 24 May 2016, 13:55   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Typhoon 420 / 470:
Mehler material
All glued construction
Transom layup w/ Bravo-Scoprega transom holder (molded thermoplastic rubber piece)
2 year warranty
Made in China by a subcontractor

They aren't bad boats. There are design keys that I like. For instance, the parallel seam, which is the MOST important seam on the boat (it is the seam where the material meets itself to make the tube round) is hidden underneath the boat, covered by the floor doubler. There are large anti-wear patches on the tubes. The beam is wide enough to accomodate 3-4 people + gear without looking like a clown car.

You get what you pay for though. Don't expect a $5500 boat for $2100.

2 year warranty too.

------

C3/C4/Classic/Futura
Made in France
Strongan material
Welded air seams
Glued floor, glued transom (PVC material layup with many pieces)
Aviation grade marine plywood transom

And a 5 year warranty.

------

Bottom line though, I have first hand experience with both boats. The tolerances on the French built boats are a LOT tighter.

Being that you live in Southern California, you may not be happy with a glued boat? High heat is very hard on glue...technicians use heatguns to unglue stuff.

Typhoon = boat to own and use for 5 years
Commando/Classic/Futura = boat to own and use for 10 years...or more!

Neglect, poor trailering, hard use, and such can shorten the boat's lifespan. Proper storage, light use, and such can extend the boat's lifespan (to a point, glue gets weak with age)

And no, the Typhoon does not have floor rails...you cannot use the seats/consoles from the Futura/Classic/Commando.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 14:57   #6

RIBase
5 year warranty on the mercury too the 365 hd weighs in at 100 kg 220lb designed for divers
Old 24 May 2016, 15:58   #7

Woa guys, that's a ton of info. Thank you!

Well that's just it. Here in Southern California, it's very difficult for find a Classic MK2. Very difficult. Looking at some of your other options listed, it's hard ot find those. I'm not sure if the SIB market is just small in Southern California, which is may be. My local dealer told me they can't an MK2 at all and has no ETA. Also looking online, a few of the really large online dealers don't have them either. So regardless, I won't get a deal on an MK2.

So my thought process was, for $1300 bucks I get a boat that would probably hold up for my use for at least 2 years. Maybe way more. I plan to use it in the ocean, will clean and store in the garage every time it comes back in as I don't have room for a boat unless it's in a bag. So it won't be in the sun. Then I figure if I really enjoy the sport, I can maybe find a Classic for a good price.

I just don't want it fall apart miles into the ocean
Old 24 May 2016, 18:57   #8

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Bombard Typhoon 420/470? Can't find any info on it.

Hey Jlomb436,
Great price on Bombard 420 and good advice as always from office888.
At that price must surely be worth the risk, especially as you'll be storing out of sun/heat - which should help extend the life of the all glued construction.
Just as an aside, we purchased new 4 years ago a Zoom by Zodiac for half the retail price. Probably similar quality to the Typhoon - all glued Strongan, Chinese built etc. We look after it, keep it out of harmful sun when not in use, but run it hard with max. hp motor, tow knee / wakeboards and play in the surf etc. Looks as good today as when we first inflated it 4 years ago. To be honest, didn't really expect it to last and if it fell to bits tomorrow we've had our money's worth already.
Old 24 May 2016, 19:12   #9

RIBase
We have a zodiac 310 zoom at work for inspection work it's two years old but in reality it's done 10 years work in that time no punctures no delamination it gets dragged over brambles, trees etc , bumped into bridges and has to work hard £695.00 we paid for it new it's very light room for three good sized adults with a 15 hp on it it flys for fishing coast hopping it's ideal cheap can be ok I would say it would last 5 years easy in normal use £140.00 a year BARGIN in my book.

Cheers
Old 24 May 2016, 20:12   #10

Awesome, thanks guys.

I'm in finance, so are you're doing what I do (on just about everything I purchase) which is cost analysis Even if it falls apart over 4 years, it is a bargain in my eyes. And as I hoped, maybe in a year or two, if I want, there might will be an overstock of MK2's laying around when Zodiac ramps up production.

I think I may go with the Typhoon. I'll let you know how it goes and the quality, although I don't have much to compare.

I appreciate all of the info and advice.
Old 25 May 2016, 06:48   #11

RIBase
good choice in my book $1300.00 you will get 5 years easy out of it.
Old 25 May 2016, 12:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Awesome, thanks guys.

I'm in finance, so are you're doing what I do (on just about everything I purchase) which is cost analysis Even if it falls apart over 4 years, it is a bargain in my eyes. And as I hoped, maybe in a year or two, if I want, there might will be an overstock of MK2's laying around when Zodiac ramps up production.

I think I may go with the Typhoon. I'll let you know how it goes and the quality, although I don't have much to compare.

I appreciate all of the info and advice.
This may sound silly, but you'll want to drill some holes in your new boat.

My only complaint with the Typhoon 420 / 470 is the lack of a mounting point for the fuel tank. I would add drill in two eyelets to the bow board to secure a 6 gal or 12 gal fuel tank... if you space them right, you can put one of those bungee cargo nets up there as well, then utilize that to secure your gear. That way, the boat will be less inclined to porpoise.
Old 25 May 2016, 13:58   #13

RIBase
i have used well nuts to secure my stuff self tapping screws are OK but not as good, you could also pop rivet with alloy rivets but more permanent.
Old 25 May 2016, 17:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i have used well nuts to secure my stuff self tapping screws are OK but not as good, you could also pop rivet with alloy rivets but more permanent.
The bow boards are wood.

I'd drill holes, then use these with bolts and washers : Lifting Eye Nut 316 Stainless Steel 5 16" UNC | eBay
Old 25 May 2016, 18:10   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
The bow boards are wood.

I'd drill holes, then use these with bolts and washers : Lifting Eye Nut 316 Stainless Steel 5 16" UNC | eBay
Se what your saying I was thinking to the Ali floor I wouldn't fix to the bow boards as they are designed to flex hence wood, lifting eyes are OK until you fall on one best to use sunken eyes that flip up & down.

Cheers