OK, so I went to see a Bombard Aerotec yesterday, after someone else on here, and am pretty please with my purchase. So this thread is to tell my side of the story.
It was this one...
I saw it on Gumtree when I was in Israel, before seeing that Fenlander had pointed it out to Sean. So didn't call the guy til Friday morning, and he said someone was viewing it at 1130. I asked if he was called Sean, he said yes, and although I could have beaten him to a viewing, didn't want to stand in his way, so asked the guy selling to let me know if it didn't sell, or give Sean my number with a view to buying the ob (so I can upgrade to a 15hp).
Got a call to say it was not sold, as Sean wanted it for a really cheap price and they could not agree on a compromise.
So I went to view, and bought. Maybe I am a fool, I hope not. I have yet to find the issues Sean is describing, or they are not nearly a bad as he is suggesting. I have found three small areas that need a little bit of glue, but they should not take long to do. All around the transom seems sound to me. I even got my Dad over to check it out afterwards, he usually tells me what crap I have bought, but he was quite impressed.
As for the rest of the boat, there is not a patch on it that I can see, apart from the two large black ones under the rubbing strake at the stern. They look like they are factory fit, or a very professional repair, done both sides to match. There is not a speck of glue outside the area of the black patches, and they are sound. I have no reason to doubt that they were there from new; maybe the factory had found a small defect, and patched over same area on both sides so it looked reasonable, I don't know, but it's a 2003 boat, so with no other patches that I could see, even on or under the floor, I am not worried.
It was left pumped to pressure in the garden last night, and does not seem to have gone down overnight.
I nearly did walk away, I could not find the serial number plate on the outboard, but then I discovered it's not like the yamaha/mariner ones, is in a different position, and not a metal plate. Seemed to run nicely and very clean under the hood. It started on the second or third pull this morning from cold. It pumps water really well now it's in a tank with the correct water level, it was a bit intermittent yesterday, as the seller did not have enough water in his bin.
Its immaculate under the hood, although the hod itself does have quite a few scratches etc, and there is a bit of bare metal on the top of the engine tray, but no big deal.
Now to find out how to convert the ob to a 15, I think I just need a 15hp Carb... Otherwise all a bit pointless, although I suspect it will all sell for a fair bit more than what I paid, if advertised in the right place.
I will post some pics shortly, and if I can work out how, some video of checking the external seams.