Old 28 March 2016, 10:34   #21

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
So, in the interests of balance... it seems like I missed something every time I have looked at seams until today. I realised I had not looked at a join on either side... as per the pic, this specific area is coming apart a bit on both sides; the pic shows the worse side. Will definitely need gluing back down, and maybe it's what Sean had meant.
No that wasn't what put me off, for me it was where the floor meets the tubes on the inside of the boat and the worst bit where floor meets transom on outside of boat. There's other minor bits all over but I agree very minor. It's in fantastic condition for age and with a proper reglue should last for years and years. I'd have probably preferred to buy it if someone had already done the work, assuming they do it right.
Old 28 March 2016, 14:07   #22

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
The factory used Bostik Vinycol 1520 for assembly. Per Bostik lab testing, the bond should require between 10 to 20 kg of force to unglue a 5cm section. If the bond lets go with less than 10 kg, then the glue is weak and should be redone. (20 daN / 5cm was the max after a 7 day cure, 10 daN / 5cm was the weakest after torture testing in boiling water or after time in a 70C oven).

Sikaflex will not affect the factory bond, but I do not recommend it. It is akin to spraying paint over a rusty frame that has lost 90% of the original metal...covering up the problem won't make the lack of strength go away.

If you can easily peel the joint away without a heating aid, then the joint should be reglued. If you reach a section where when you go to peel it, and it starts to tear the coating from the supporting fabric, then you have reached a well bonded section.

Some edge ungluing is normal. The factory uses solvent for cleanup and it tends to weaken the edges a little, but if the lack of strength is systemic, then the only option is to reglue.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 14:51   #23

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post

Some edge ungluing is normal. The factory uses solvent for cleanup and it tends to weaken the edges a little, but if the lack of strength is systemic, then the only option is to reglue.
Thanks. i don't think it is that bad anywhere personally, mainly just some edges coming away. The bits I posted the pic of last night would take quite a bit of pulling to make them come away any more.

Re Sikaflex, I am not really thinking of it a a fix... just a something to go round the edges of the floor panels on the underside of the hull, to stop water forcing itself under the leading edge of the floor fabric; it'sreally well stuck down in most places imo.
Old 28 March 2016, 14:59   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Neil totally your call but are you against using proper glue? The job is neater, more original and if you sell on much more acceptable to a buyer???
Old 28 March 2016, 15:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Neil totally your call but are you against using proper glue? The job is neater, more original and if you sell on much more acceptable to a buyer???
Not at all for the proper repairs

As said, just thinking of the Sika as an additional security. It can be done very neatly, it's exactly how Biffer did my rubbing strake on the rib where it joins the tube; it simply gives something else water has to force out of the way before forcing itself between the floor and tube fabric
Old 02 April 2016, 17:59   #26

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Congratulations. The only thing I generally use Sikaflex for is sealing surplus holes in the transom, sealing new bolts/fittings to the transom and the ply engine plate etc. But sometimes you find the tiniest bit of lift at the pvc to transom join (ie 1mm or less and I force a tint amount of Sika in there just to stop any ingress of water which *may* hasten problems years down the line?
Old 02 April 2016, 19:06   #27

Ok thanks Max. I was originally considering it to seal down some small lifts, but have MEK coming and have the 2 part. Still considering it for sealing some of the edges to help reduce chance of future lifting but probably won't.

Yes for transom fittings, of course.
Old 20 April 2018, 09:41   #28

I had forgotten all about this thread.
So an update.
I was sold a dud. Whoever went to see it before me was right, should have steered clear. The seller must have glued down with super glue between viewings, and it fell apart in the summer sun.
Still, it was a pretty good boat apart from that, no patches, and clean tubes for a 2003 boat. So, last year it went to Ribshop for a total floor and transom re-glue.
It just got sold to a company who uses and abuses Aerotecs for rescue cover work on rivers etc etc.
So all's well that ends well, and it's off to it's new home for many years usage to come I hope.

Live and learn
Old 20 April 2018, 10:17   #29

Quote:
So an update.
I was sold a dud. Whoever went to see it before me was right, should have steered clear. The seller must have glued down with super glue between viewings, and it fell apart in the summer sun.
Still, it was a pretty good boat apart from that, no patches, and clean tubes for a 2003 boat. So, last year it went to Ribshop for a total floor and transom re-glue.
It just got sold to a company who uses and abuses Aerotecs for rescue cover work on rivers etc etc.
So all's well that ends well, and it's off to it's new home for many years usage to come I hope.

Live and learn
As much as it's nice to be right, I'm sorry to hear that Neil, must confess I'd thought a couple of times was I wrong and should I have bought it. Particularly as I've never got on with my Aerotec (barely ever used it as just not that keen). Have been keeping my eye peeled for a decent Zodiac classic, ali floor, like the one that I previously had (though I bought one that needed a complete reglue then). Haven't made up my mind what to do with the Aerotec once I've found one, keep hoping I'll get into it.....
Old 20 April 2018, 11:09   #30

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Quote:
So an update.

Live and learn
Out of interest how much was the full floor and transom glue?
Old 20 April 2018, 11:34   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
It takes about 15 hr of labor.

15 x 100 = $1500 approximately.
Old 20 April 2018, 11:44   #32

I have thought about taking my old Zodiac completely to bits and reglueing everything (baffles are blown too though) as hypalon is in good condition and really like the boat. I just dont have the time though and it'd be a big undertaking for a first time project (though I'm reasonably handy) and assume not really economical to have done by a pro. Would rather just buy one in good condition and there must be people that buy these new and find its not for them (bit like I've done with the Aerotec) and then sell them on after 2-3 years. I'd buy a new one but they are pretty expensive when I last looked.....
Old 20 April 2018, 11:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I have thought about taking my old Zodiac completely to bits and reglueing everything (baffles are blown too though) as hypalon is in good condition and really like the boat. I just dont have the time though and it'd be a big undertaking for a first time project (though I'm reasonably handy) and assume not really economical to have done by a pro. Would rather just buy one in good condition and there must be people that buy these new and find its not for them (bit like I've done with the Aerotec) and then sell them on after 2-3 years. I'd buy a new one but they are pretty expensive when I last looked.....
Some older Zodiac products had PVC baffles inside a DuPont Hypalon tube.
They're not worthwhile to reglue in that instance. A partial baffle unglue is easy to fix. One laying in a pile in the tube is not.
Old 20 April 2018, 19:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
£360 inc vat