Old 12 March 2015, 17:53   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Bombard aerotec floor - repair

Hi all

So I've pumped the airfloor up to pressure for the first time and one side has gone down overnight... I'll have to buy some patches and glue. I'd better check it's not the valve first.

What glue do people use? And what chemical to prep?

Apparently there is a 'liquid patch' product available for smaller holes, any good?

Thanks

Simon
Old 12 March 2015, 17:57   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Hi all

So I've pumped the airfloor up to pressure for the first time and one side has gone down overnight... I'll have to buy some patches and glue. I'd better check it's not the valve first.

What glue do people use? And what chemical to prep?

Apparently there is a 'liquid patch' product available for smaller holes, any good?

Thanks

Simon
Internal sealant cannot be used on fiberfilled air-floors.

You will want to get your hands on some proper two-part PVC glue and material. Gluing needs to take place at room temperature, below 65% relative humidity. Gluing instructions need to be followed explicitly. The surface needs to be prepared with MEK before gluing takes place.

For leaks on edges of seams, I like to do a coating of McNett's Aquaseal w/ Cotol 240, then put a large PVC patch over it to protect the Aquaseal.

If you are not comfortable doing the repair yourself, I am sure there are many professional inflatable repair shops near you.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2015, 18:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Internal sealant cannot be used on fiberfilled air-floors.

You will want to get your hands on some proper two-part PVC glue and material. Gluing needs to take place at room temperature, below 65% relative humidity. Gluing instructions need to be followed explicitly. The surface needs to be prepared with MEK before gluing takes place.

For leaks on edges of seams, I like to do a coating of McNett's Aquaseal w/ Cotol 240, then put a large PVC patch over it to protect the Aquaseal.

If you are not comfortable doing the repair yourself, I am sure there are many professional inflatable repair shops near you.
Thanks for the advice, I've ordered some white bombard PVC, 2 part glue and MEK.

I've found two holes (so far) in one side of the air floor. Problem is, these air floors have an area underneath the central web that you can't get to. As far as I can see, the only purpose of this web is to give a flat area of floor. I might cut through it to get access to the flooring below, I was planning on cutting some vinyl to protect the floor anyway. The floor isn't in the best condition but I have to fix it, the 420 floor isn't available anymore. The boat/engine package was a bargain so as long as I can patch it I'm happy.

Simon
Old 15 March 2015, 17:41   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Search for (IIRC) Nos's junior topic on his Aerotec renovation - lots of tricky floor repair on there...
Old 15 March 2015, 18:12   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Search for (IIRC) Nos's junior topic on his Aerotec renovation - lots of tricky floor repair on there...
You could be referring to this:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/introdu...tec-40249.html

Nasher
Old 15 March 2015, 19:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Nasher
That's very useful Nasher! I am concerned about the inaccessible area of the floor that's under the bit of webbing which gives you the flat part of the floor when inflated. Because the floor is in poor condition I want to get to this part to check it. Do you think this bit does anything structural or will I be ok to cut it? I am planning on laying some industrial vinyl flooring on top once I've repaired it. Thanks

Looking forward to getting it out on the estuary soon! The best part of the package was a 2006 15hp mariner 2 stroke long shaft in very good condition. If it's not enough power then I might be looking to exchange with someone for an older 25...

Thanks simon
Old 15 March 2015, 21:05   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Nasher