Old 07 July 2015, 17:30   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Can you try a poly boat you might be surprised how little power is needed and how a heavy boat isn't the end of the world unless you have to carry it. I think we all agree though you are compromising on boat because of your launch restrictions. I've seen an old traditional fishing boat winched up a ladder at about 30 degrees with two bits of plastic pipe (3" gas pipe?) screwed to it. That was a grass slope into fresh water but the concept would work if you had a solid hull.
Old 07 July 2015, 17:44   #12

Length: no boat
Interesting concept with the 3" gas pipe! - It does require some ingenuity getting something setup if the boat starts to be heavy. But it would be nice to be able to have a ready setup on the plateau.

Old 07 July 2015, 17:48   #13

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
OK so here's a bit of lateral thinking...

If you were to stick to a light SIB like the Aerotec where the boulders may threaten the fabric if it was heavily scuffed...

What about fixing a ring into one of the large boulders just in the water and have the boat on a pulley suspended from a wire keeping it above the boulders??
Old 07 July 2015, 18:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
OK so here's a bit of lateral thinking...

If you were to stick to a light SIB like the Aerotec where the boulders may threaten the fabric if it was heavily scuffed...

What about fixing a ring into one of the large boulders just in the water and have the boat on a pulley suspended from a wire keeping it above the boulders??
I like thinking out of the box, but the scuffing you're talking about is that because it's hard to carry down the 43Kg boat without hitting the rocks (I haven't thought that it would be hard)

Fixing a ring to the large boulders is possible, but do you mean a permanent 'cableway' from the plateau to the large boulders? (local rules wouldn't permit it)
Old 07 July 2015, 18:15   #15

Well I thought a cable you could just pull out to launch/recover.

Re heavy scuffing when carrying...

That's a very awkward carry with the possibility of either/both persons slipping and catching the boat on the boulders.

Have you thought what you'd be holding to carry the boat? Like many SIBS the Aerotec doesn't have a carry handle each side at the point of balance... I guess you could fit some but even so the boat would see-saw as you carried it with the risk of catching either end.

You could try and carry an Aerotec by the grab rails but that's awkward as well because you end up lifting your arm up to an uncomfortable high point.

Ideally to carry a SIB over difficult ground you need three people... one on the bow ring and one each side at the stern using the rear lift handles.

Actually that reminds me... the Honwave 3.5 I had last year was fitted as standard with a lift handle on the inside of each tube just behind the transom. So one person could be on the bow and the other walking in between the rear tubes carrying a bit like a wheelbarrow. Made for a really easy lift.
Old 07 July 2015, 18:25   #16

Quote:
Well I thought a cable you could just pull out to launch/recover.
Ah ok, I understand - I think it will require a long cable that might be hard to stretch out, but i'll think about it some more.

Quote:
Re heavy scuffing when carrying...

That's a very awkward carry with the possibility of either/both persons slipping and catching the boat on the boulders.

Have you thought what you'd be holding to carry the boat? Like many SIBS the Aerotec doesn't have a carry handle each side at the point of balance... I guess you could fit some but even so the boat would see-saw as you carried it with the risk of catching either end.

You could try and carry an Aerotec by the grab rails but that's awkward as well because you end up lifting your arm up to an uncomfortable high point.

Ideally to carry a SIB over difficult ground you need three people... one on the bow ring and one each side at the stern using the rear lift handles.

Actually that reminds me... the Honwave 3.5 I had last year was fitted as standard with a lift handle on the inside of each tube just behind the transom. So one person could be on the bow and the other walking in between the rear tubes carrying a bit like a wheelbarrow. Made for a really easy lift.
I didn't think so much about this but it's a good point and I can see the handles are in a good position on both the Honwave and the F-Rib.
Old 07 July 2015, 20:23   #17

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Given that this is right at your residence, I'd suggest building some ramp tracks and using a dolly with beach wheels and a small electric winch (with synthetic polyethylene rope rather than steel cable) that is attached to the dolly.

Jet Ski (PWC) Dolly 36- from Wheeleez, Inc.
Old 08 July 2015, 02:53   #18

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
Yes it is my house
This is also my dream to have such a setup, but it has proven pretty hard. The rocks can't be removed as they need to be there for coastal protection, so the ramps would have to be on top and they would be long. Each section about 6m, a scaffold plank in this length will be very heavy. Also there's not room to maneuver at the beach, if the boat is 250kg with engine then it will probably be hard to launch and turn with a pair of launch wheels?
Honestly, I think most of us would give our right arm for water access a few yards from our house like that.

Mankind has a history of amazing, seemingly impossible engineering projects around the world - I can't believe that a couple of blokes, a morning of head scratching and a visit to the builder's yard wouldn't find a ramped solution that is workable over a few yards of rocks...!

I'd clear the rocks in the water/launch area (not the ones on your house boundary), stick with a hard floor SIB and use any lightweight ramp material - maybe some PVC 6" half-pipe sections that slide into each other for storage then overlap each end with a pin dropped through a hole in each to secure or similar, easy to assemble, store, use. Or some off-road waffle boards (like lightweight sand ladders), etc, etc.

Or rearrange two rows of the rocks to match the transom/dolly wheels track and minimise the gaps and infill with aggregate/concrete to smooth the path enough, does't need to be perfectly smooth - larger pneumatic wheels will roll over the smaller bumps.
Old 08 July 2015, 03:17   #19

I always think there's mileage in revisiting previous successful engineering projects for ideas...

But obviously you will have more buoyancy!
Old 08 July 2015, 03:43   #20

A photo taken from the beach level across the boulders up to the house would help understand the obstacle more.

Tags
rib