Old 28 July 2008, 13:06   #1

Town: Devon
Boat name: Junk at the moment
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 4hp 2t
Bombard

Hi
I have just bought a Bombard Aerotec 380. I have chosen this option as they are one of the lightest 3.8m inflatables.
Does anyone on here have experience of them.

What minimum size of motor will suit?
As I will be doing some light fishing is there something I can put on the floor to protect it,I know this seems to defeat the object but I am not sure how strong the aerodeck is.

ATB
Mike
Old 28 July 2008, 13:26   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike13401 View Post
Hi
I have just bought a Bombard Aerotec 380. I have chosen this option as they are one of the lightest 3.8m inflatables.

As I will be doing some light fishing is there something I can put on the floor to protect it,I know this seems to defeat the object but I am not sure how strong the aerodeck is.

ATB
Mike
HI MATE I HAVE A WOODEN FLOOR AND I HAVE A ANTI SLIP MATE THAT GOS OVER THE TOP,,,,,,,,,,,,BRILLIANT JOB,,,,,,,,,,,,,I GOT IT FROM THE DETLING BOAT SHOW THIS YEAR,,,,,,,,,,,,ABOUT 16 QUID A METRE,,,,,,,,,,,I GOT 2 FOR MY 270 DINGHY,HOPE THIS MAY HELP
Old 28 July 2008, 13:43   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike13401 View Post
Hi

ATB
Mike
The engine size, weight will depend on what you intend to do with the sib, there are several options : How's your budget ?

If portability is a must to go along with the light 3.8 sib a minimun engine preferably a 2 stroke (weights about 7/10 kilos less) compared to his same 4 stroke brothers depending on the chosen model, will be a nice Tohatsu 9.8, just 26 kilos and 170 CC.

If to move/carry bigger loads, cargo, more pals, camping equipment is required, them move to al least 15 HP, a nice Option a Tohatsu 18 HP if possible to find, 294 CC compared to 247 CC to the 15 HP model. Both 15 & 18 weights the same 41 KG in this Jap brand

If planning using a sib/engine on top of a trayler go for the biggest size permited, that is a 25/30 HP, Tohatsu 52 Kg, 420 CC. Both engines weights the same, the 30 having more power to move bigger loads with a slight speed increase. Tohatsu has been chosen only as a refference, you can buy the brand you like.

With respect to the floor you can protect it by means of a plastic carpet, canvas, walking floor used on offices, plastic ones, the ones that will not retain water. Cut a one piece bow/tramson deep keel carpet. Do not glue to inflatable floor as will need to have air walves reachable for inflation/deflation purposes.

Happy Sibbing
Old 28 July 2008, 22:30   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
I owned one for about 3 years, only sold it last year.
Its an absolutely brilliant boat, i first had a 15hp mercury on it which is an ideal power/weight option i gps'd it at 20 knots with 2 people on board, but its still light enough to carry up the beach.
I then decided to get a 30hp tohatsu for it, which i know its only rated for 25 but it was brilliant- had over 30 knots out of it! It was very economical, could pull donuts/kneeboards with ease + was good for just tickling along for a sedate ride at sea or up the river.
So basically, for ease of use go for the 15hp- if you feel like going mental now and again go for a 25/30 hp.
The floors are very robust- probably the most robust part of the boat-it is essential to pump it up to its correct pressure though- if its not pumped up enough it'll just flop about, you still get a bit of movment even at the correct pressure though. Never had a problem when fishing, was just careful of the hooks
There are 2 things that i HIGHLY recommend you get if you havnt got them allready.
1 - A set of launch wheels(i had the bombard ones that slot on the transom as i didnt like the flip up ones).
2 - A Bravo BST 12 HP inflator pump(not the cheapest, but is VERY good)- i speak with experiance of this-dont get any other 12v inflator, they just do not do the job - this particular bravo pump will even pump the floor upto its max pressure in no time at all.You just dial in the pressure that you want, and it will shut down automatically when the set pressure is reached- heres a link to one http://www.marinedirect.co.uk/bravo-...-hp-p-261.html
I still use it to inflate my new surfcat.