Old 19 July 2011, 16:00   #11
RIBnet admin team
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
I use a short line and clip so that the bracket won't lift off the transom. I've also started padlocking the thumb handles together - it stops them turning and means that the engine would take a little longer to walk away with - nice to know if I have to leave the boat for a few minutes...

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 15:34   #12
Town: Beccles
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15 Petrol
If a Suzuki DF15 outboard was bolted to the transom of a Honwave 4m as well as being secured by the clamp screws, would this be safe to tow as the Honwave manual states that the outboard should be removed prior to towing on a trailer.

flash189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 15:43   #13
Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
I think its the movement on the transom that does the damage, so no matter how its bolted on i dont think it will make a difference. Thats seems the general gist anyway, iv also asked similar questions. In the end iv decided that on long motorway journeys, the engine is going in the boot, but at my destination it will stay on the boat with a transom saver type device (homemade) so i can nip straight to the launch spot 1-2 miles away.
Also has anyone here considered using a trailer breakaway cable as a safety cord for their engine? would it be strong enough do you think? If it was, i think it might be quite handy as they are quick on/off clips
LWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 17:38   #14
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I've seen a 35hp come off at speed. Usual thing, not bolted as they were just trying it out and boat in fast turn. Ended up with owner hanging onto its control cables. Motor had stopped by then of course-something to do with the hydraulic lock it suffered as the pistons came up onto nice incompressable water.
Bent con rods,crankshaft etc

Dave M
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote