Old 21 April 2009, 21:44   #1

Town: Medway
Boat name: TT Ada
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5HP Johnson
Blister on my Zodiac

I have an old (1988) Zodiac S131 which has developed what I would describe a blister on one tube! It is as if there is a pinhole coming through the inner and mid layers so that the outer PVC layer is then blowing up like a blister - I assume it has separated from the mid layer. This blister is about 20cm by 15cm.

My current plan is: try something like PolyMarine's latex sealer on the inside to seal up the pinhole and then cut the outer PVC layer of the blister and glue it back down. Then finally use 2 part PVC glue and a fresh PVC patch over the cut line.

Am I on the right track? Has anyone else had this kind of problem? - I have not seen anything on the other threads.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 22 April 2009, 12:29   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtec View Post
I have an old (1988) Zodiac S131 which has developed what I would describe a blister on one tube! It is as if there is a pinhole coming through the inner and mid layers so that the outer PVC layer is then blowing up like a blister - I assume it has separated from the mid layer. This blister is about 20cm by 15cm.

My current plan is: try something like PolyMarine's latex sealer on the inside to seal up the pinhole and then cut the outer PVC layer of the blister and glue it back down. Then finally use 2 part PVC glue and a fresh PVC patch over the cut line.

Am I on the right track? Has anyone else had this kind of problem? - I have not seen anything on the other threads.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi ya fella ,would nt know if you are right in what you are saying concerning fixing ya sib,but wellcome to the forum ,from a fellow teacher,well lecturer really ,lol ,and i was born and bread in medway,sure someone on here will guide you mate.
Old 25 April 2009, 22:29   #3

Can someone please put me out of my misery!!??!!

This is like waiting for bad news from the doctor..............will my Zodiac ever float again?

Anyone got any advice please??

Cheers!
Old 25 April 2009, 22:35   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtec View Post
This is like waiting for bad news from the doctor..............will my Zodiac ever float again?

Anyone got any advice please??

Cheers!
People will find it easier to comment if they had a picture of the problem. There is a lot of experience here fixing tubes - so am sure there will be thoughts - if they understand the issue (might be worth posting in the main ribs forum - as not sure if the tube builders read this bit too).
Old 26 April 2009, 03:27   #5

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
Sounds like a standard delamination problem. Quite simply the craft has had its life and its time to get a new one. A Zodiac's life will generally be a round 15 years on average for a PVC version, with some lasting 20 years. It's not worth attemtping a fix as if you fix it in one point another will pop up just down the road. Whe people drop off their boats for repair as soon as we notice a delamination problem it's game over.
Old 27 April 2009, 21:32   #6

Thanks for telling it like it is!

Hi!

I appreciate the honest advice and from a commercial point of view I can see that your advice is sound but given these uncertain economic times I am keen to extend the life of my Zodiac for at least one more season.

If I can fix this delamination and it lasts the year I will be happy as a DIY repairer on a tight budget.

Would normal 2 part PVC adhesive be the one to use to fix the PVC to the mid layer?

Thanks for the photo and reposting suggestion too - I'll add a photo of the blister/bubble in a day or two.
Old 28 April 2009, 04:15   #7

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
We'd use Bostik 1669 adhesive. Which is what we use on all PVC inflatables.

This will solve your problem nicely.