Old 30 October 2012, 04:15   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
an electric pump in a sib is daft and a hand pump will pump faster than a small electric and be reliable
Horses for courses. Manual pump means you need to be pumping, rather than navigating or whatever. Technology exists for a reason.

More than one way to skin a cat.

jky
Old 30 October 2012, 06:04   #22

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Anyway what i meant was not to split hairs with amounts and how fast you can pump but simplicity and reliablility of actually beaing able to pump when you need to.
You are right and that is why the electric bilge pump can be pumping continuously while we are removing dive gear. Diving in teams of three, allows two people to hold the boat and one person unloads. No hands available to run a hand pump.

Quote:
I know what you mean by the wave over the stern if you get a surf landing a bit wrong with a slow crew .
Thanks for calling me and my friends slow Do you have any idea what a set of double HP100cf tanks or an HP130cf with stainless BP/W weigh? Have you ever scuba dove off a SIB? Have you done so in surf wearing a drysuit and a 25lb weight belt? Are you familiar with our beaches and how they drop off, and how your foot sinks deep into the sand/gravel? Unless you have done so, what can you base your comments on?

Quote:
That wave usually brings with it a load of sand or pebbles and weed and an electric pump inacessible under the floor fails too easily . plus a wave in small rib has a battery under water and the fuel tank floating . plus that floor is giving the pump an extreme trampline ride .
My battery is sealed up in a custom built electronics tower that I designed, and is made from ABS with a seal for the battery box, and electrical components that need to be kept dry. It slides into a custom made HDPE mount. Fuel tank can't float as it is mounted down with a strap using a rail mount that I designed and built out of stainless. Nor can my toolbox float or get lost, as it is mounted to a sheet of ABS that slides into another HDPE mount that I built on the router table, which I also built. There is also a 3" elephant trunk that I TIG welded up out of 316 stainless and installed to drain the boat quickly should a whoops happen. The pump is pretty simple and better be able to take a little bit of a beating. Should help clear out any debris lodged in it Almost never do I remove sand from under the floor though. So my fabrication skills may not be up to your standards, and obviously my designs do not meet your approval, though oddly enough they work

Quote:
I helped some guys last year on the beach after they moored their speedboat by the sternpost in small surf , it filled up and the pump lasted about 2 mins then it sank in 3 ft of water
That was nice of you That is the nice thing about a SIB it is pretty much unsinkable, and if the bilge pump fails it might make it harder to get up the beach, but it is not going to cause injury or death.

« new sib | Top | Sandy NYC »