Old 21 February 2016, 13:01   #1

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Better to buy new?

I've been looking for a used aerotec for some time now but only ever see ones that are 10-15 years old for £1000+ being advertised. Which doesn't seem like value to me as guess this is the age of glue failure and the discount over new price isn't enough to take the risk.

I'm sure it's an aerotec I want (never tried one) but they sound so good. I only like racing around, not fishing etc. I beach launch, sometimes on my own, and deflate to transport. I also wouldn't mind some extra speed but want to keep my 25HP 2stroke currently powering an ali floor M2 c. Guess the bombard will achieve this as it's lighter.

Guess I'm right on thinking new is the way to go?

Will I need to raise the height of the motor on the transom? Can't believe bombard hasn't sorted this.

Is there anything else I should know about the bombard before buying a new one? ( guess I'd never get my money back and it's a reasonable size investment for me so want to get it right)

Thanks
Old 21 February 2016, 13:55   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I've been looking for a used aerotec for some time now but only ever see ones that are 10-15 years old for £1000+ being advertised. Which doesn't seem like value to me as guess this is the age of glue failure and the discount over new price isn't enough to take the risk.

I'm sure it's an aerotec I want (never tried one) but they sound so good. I only like racing around, not fishing etc. I beach launch, sometimes on my own, and deflate to transport. I also wouldn't mind some extra speed but want to keep my 25HP 2stroke currently powering an ali floor M2 c. Guess the bombard will achieve this as it's lighter.

Guess I'm right on thinking new is the way to go?

Will I need to raise the height of the motor on the transom? Can't believe bombard hasn't sorted this.

Is there anything else I should know about the bombard before buying a new one? ( guess I'd never get my money back and it's a reasonable size investment for me so want to get it right)

Thanks
Get that rectified first.
Old 21 February 2016, 14:03   #3

how can I try before buying ?

One thing I keep wondering is where you keep the fuel tank with the v floor ?
Old 21 February 2016, 14:41   #4

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Unless I win some money I'll never have sufficient funds to buy a new ... anything really!

In my opinion, as long as the transom seams, tube seams and airfloor are all ok then buy second hand. I have done repairs to holes on my airfloor in complex shapes on splits up to half an inch long. No previous experience. BUT, if I had the money I'd buy new. But with a family and associated costs, purchases like this are always WAY down the list.

The bottom of the V of the airfloor has a flat web across it, creating a flat area all the way along. This is what you lay your luggage and fuel tanks on. The tank sits underneath the seat, the floor has tags in it just here to tie your tank to. Everything needs lashing down otherwise it'll bounce right out of the boat or at the very least slide downhill to the transom. It's a bouncy ride to say the least but thats SIBs for you and for us part of their appeal, they are very easy to get airborne!

Simon
Old 21 February 2016, 14:48   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I've had an Aerotec and a MK2c, both powered by Yam 25hp 2 strokes, the Futura was slightly quicker than the Aerotec.

But in terms of a packable sib, the Aerotec is the best allrounder there is, boot to water in 15 mins with a bravo pump.
Old 21 February 2016, 14:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I've had an Aerotec and a MK2c, both powered by Yam 25hp 2 strokes, the Futura was slightly quicker than the Aerotec.

But in terms of a packable sib, the Aerotec is the best allrounder there is, boot to water in 15 mins with a bravo pump.
any idea why ? I assumed with the reduced weight I'd get more speed

I wondered if I'd need to change my prop ?

Is there any other way to get some more speed out of my current engine (its about as heavy as I'd like) without spending a ton of money ?

Packing and hauling up the beach is hard work with the MK2.
Old 21 February 2016, 14:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Unless I win some money I'll never have sufficient funds to buy a new ... anything really!

In my opinion, as long as the transom seams, tube seams and airfloor are all ok then buy second hand. I have done repairs to holes on my airfloor in complex shapes on splits up to half an inch long. No previous experience. BUT, if I had the money I'd buy new. But with a family and associated costs, purchases like this are always WAY down the list.

The bottom of the V of the airfloor has a flat web across it, creating a flat area all the way along. This is what you lay your luggage and fuel tanks on. The tank sits underneath the seat, the floor has tags in it just here to tie your tank to. Everything needs lashing down otherwise it'll bounce right out of the boat or at the very least slide downhill to the transom. It's a bouncy ride to say the least but thats SIBs for you and for us part of their appeal, they are very easy to get airborne!

Simon
I have a young family and a house that needs A LOT of work so didn't really want to buy new but a choice between a 12 year old boat at near £1500 that'll likely need a mountain of glueing or a new one for £2300ish that'll be trouble free....

If I could find a 3-5year old one at sensible money I'd buy this but I've been looking for a long time now and with the season coming up I'm getting impatient ! lol
Old 21 February 2016, 14:59   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
any idea why ? I assumed with the reduced weight I'd get more speed

I wondered if I'd need to change my prop ?

Is there any other way to get some more speed out of my current engine (its about as heavy as I'd like) without spending a ton of money ?

Packing and hauling up the beach is hard work with the MK2.

Speed tubes. Less wetted area=more speed. The 'deep' V of the Aerotec has a lot more drag, the Futura rides on top of the water, which is quicker. It wasnt a massive difference, about 2 or 3 kts.
Old 21 February 2016, 15:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Speed tubes. Less wetted area=more speed. The 'deep' V of the Aerotec has a lot more drag, the Futura rides on top of the water, which is quicker. It wasnt a massive difference, about 2 or 3 kts.
I don't have speed tubes on mine so will hope for more speed
Old 21 February 2016, 15:19   #10

Quote:
I have a young family and a house that needs A LOT of work so didn't really want to buy new but a choice between a 12 year old boat at near £1500 that'll likely need a mountain of glueing or a new one for £2300ish that'll be trouble free....

If I could find a 3-5year old one at sensible money I'd buy this but I've been looking for a long time now and with the season coming up I'm getting impatient ! lol
gumtree.com is a good place to look other than ebay. Also try searching less specificly, i.e. type in 'inflatable' or 'rib'. When I found mine it was advertised as zodiac inflatable. Wouldnt have spotted it if I'd searched for bombard or aerotec. Likewise I missed out on a futura mk3 because it had been advertised just as a rib inflatable.

The repairs to mine took maybe an afternoon in total. Got in trouble for insisting on repairing the airfloor on the dinner table but needs must!

I dont roll the airfloor up to store it, I just leave it hanging from the shed rafters as I think the creasing from rolling it up will damage it in time. The hull gets rolled up and stored under decent heavy duty tarp in the front yard.

Simon
Old 21 February 2016, 15:20   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sean I remember you asking similar back last autumn and the thread went a bit askew with... shall we say... "strong opinions".

As you already have an inflatable plus own a 25hp 2-stroke you're halfway there knowing how you want to refine you needs plus having an outboard that will make the very most of one (almost too much one-up!). You don't fish and you like "racing around" so I'd say it would be almost impossible to dislike an Aerotec.

So if you were looking used I'd say just go for it however if considering new you'd have to accept if in the unlikely event it didn't suit you'd have to bite on a £500+ loss selling straight on. Used of course as long as you didn't pay too much you would likely break even selling straight on.

I don't know if you remember anything of my Aerotec journey from the discussions last year but I got lucky in buying a 1998 Aerotec at a very low price needing a few repairs. I made these to a good DIY standard and took it on holiday soon after to the Scottish West coast to see if one would suit us. As we powered out of the harbour limit into a medium chop the first trip self and the Mrs looked at each other grinning and agreed it had exactly the performance and ability we'd been missing with all of our SIBs before that.

So with cash still in the theoretical boating pot we bought a new one to last us through the next 10yrs or more. Then I sold the old one on to a member here at the low price we'd paid with all its history and repairs disclosed so someone else could have some fun with it.

You can't tell about transom splash until you put your outboard on your Aerotec as they all suffer differently.... but yes in general you are likely to need at least a 30mm block. There have been many posts in different threads over the months and years on ideas to reduce the splash so there's loads of info available.

Re price vs age that's a thorny topic with opinions often depending on the age of an individuals boat. I think in general it's accepted you need to be very carefully looking at any glued seams on PVC SIBs over 10yrs old and consider that nearer 15yrs old and above you are moving much closer to repairs being needed even if they aren't obvious. The very experienced dealers I bought my new one from... plus another dealer I spoke to... reckoned on an 18yr life for an Aerotec before extensive glue repairs are needed.

In truth as long as you don't sell a new one immediately the depreciation over a 15yr term is about £90/yr which is near on the same if you pay £1000 for a 10yr old one and keep it until it's 15. I agree £1000 or more for a 15yr old one is a very strong price.
Old 21 February 2016, 15:22   #12

Also if you're desperate to try one we visit friends in maidstone a few times a year. Want to take the boat out in the area so if you know the waters then come and meet us and we'll tale you out as our navigator.

Simon
Old 21 February 2016, 15:46   #13

Hi fenlander

Yes I did ask late last year (the post did seem to get a bit heated lol) and have been looking ever since. Been a few on ebay but all over £1000 and all over 10 years old.

Hence started to think I need to buy new. Don't want something with knackered baffles, bodged repairs, glue failure etc.

I'm pretty sure I'd like the aerotec too.

I've read your article before, think I prefer the red personally and prefer the look of them with the longer tubes. Not that either matter that much.

Funds are tight though hence have been hoping a good used one will turn up, that and I don't normally sib in the winter so hasn't been a priority ! Sunnier days seem to be coming closer though.

Hi Simon, I lived in maidstone for years, live 20 mins away now though but closer to a beach :-) would always be happy to meet another sibber, know the area well too. I'm waiting for warmer weather though. must admit was thinking I'd get a dry suit if I bought a new aerotec as would want to get as much use out of it as possible. I've also really really missed using my little boat this winter
Old 21 February 2016, 15:48   #14

Think I actually asked about aerotec in general rather than whether a 10 year old one was worth buying at over a £1000.
Old 21 February 2016, 16:03   #15

>>>been hoping a good used one will turn up...

Last year just before buying new we looked intensively for one around 2-4yrs old... nothing at all about that new... and all the Zodiac dealers agreed folks who buy new rarely sell on until they're much older hence I guess why they are usually 10-15yrs old when advertised.
Old 21 February 2016, 16:57   #16

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I bought a new Aerotec (shop display model) last year for quite a bit less than the £2300 stated.

If you haven't done so already then I would recommend ringing around all suppliers to see what they have got in.

Before I purchased mine I looked for, and wanted to buy a newish second hand one. But all the ones for sale were all getting on and all wanted decent money for them! Others have other views but personally I couldn't see the sense in paying £1000 for a 10yr old one but that's me.

I'm sure the right one will come up but it depends how long you are prepared to wait.
Old 21 February 2016, 18:24   #17

Ex display would be ideal so will definitely have a good call round
Old 21 February 2016, 18:35   #18

Sean,

Not sure if you know what went down with Zodiac (and so Bombard). They got in financial trouble a few years back and there were no (or almost no) Aerotec's made in 2015 so all the ones sold during 2015 were 2014 built. Some were sold at a very good discount as ex-demo and others like mine were sold with the full new warranty.

There was a dealer in 2014/15 who sold quite a few at a very low price as I reckon he thought Zodiac would go under and he didn't want to be stuck with them.

Zodiac restarted production late last year but some dealers are saying Aerotec's are to order only and the best discounts have gone.

Zodiac are due to restructure their range soon under the new owner (may be already planned) and what finally prompted me to buy new last year was I had the last unsold Aerotec in the UK and if things had gone badly with Zodiac they may never have made another which was a risk I didn't want to take.
Old 21 February 2016, 18:46   #19

Hi fenlander

Didn't know this, wish I'd managed to get one of these discounted ones!

Hmm now wondering whether I should wait as guess if they release a new version older ones will be sold cheap or hurry up encase they stop making all together!
Old 21 February 2016, 19:04   #20

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Sean,
I don't have an Aerotec to sell you, but can maybe help in some other way, maybe we can help each other out.
I was lucky enough to buy Fenlander's old Aerotec for a good price, and have no wish to sell it. I would like to try it with a 25 though.
If you fancy trying an Aerotec with your 25, let me know by PM! Sure we could arrange it for a weekend in March. And we could still go out on two boats, if I bring my 9.9.

Neil