Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 February 2016, 09:01   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Better to buy new?

I've been looking for a used aerotec for some time now but only ever see ones that are 10-15 years old for 1000+ being advertised. Which doesn't seem like value to me as guess this is the age of glue failure and the discount over new price isn't enough to take the risk.

I'm sure it's an aerotec I want (never tried one) but they sound so good. I only like racing around, not fishing etc. I beach launch, sometimes on my own, and deflate to transport. I also wouldn't mind some extra speed but want to keep my 25HP 2stroke currently powering an ali floor M2 c. Guess the bombard will achieve this as it's lighter.

Guess I'm right on thinking new is the way to go?

Will I need to raise the height of the motor on the transom? Can't believe bombard hasn't sorted this.

Is there anything else I should know about the bombard before buying a new one? ( guess I'd never get my money back and it's a reasonable size investment for me so want to get it right)

Thanks
__________________

__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 09:55   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I've been looking for a used aerotec for some time now but only ever see ones that are 10-15 years old for 1000+ being advertised. Which doesn't seem like value to me as guess this is the age of glue failure and the discount over new price isn't enough to take the risk.

I'm sure it's an aerotec I want (never tried one) but they sound so good. I only like racing around, not fishing etc. I beach launch, sometimes on my own, and deflate to transport. I also wouldn't mind some extra speed but want to keep my 25HP 2stroke currently powering an ali floor M2 c. Guess the bombard will achieve this as it's lighter.

Guess I'm right on thinking new is the way to go?

Will I need to raise the height of the motor on the transom? Can't believe bombard hasn't sorted this.

Is there anything else I should know about the bombard before buying a new one? ( guess I'd never get my money back and it's a reasonable size investment for me so want to get it right)

Thanks
Get that rectified first.
__________________

__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:03   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
how can I try before buying ?

One thing I keep wondering is where you keep the fuel tank with the v floor ?
__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:41   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 324
Unless I win some money I'll never have sufficient funds to buy a new ... anything really!

In my opinion, as long as the transom seams, tube seams and airfloor are all ok then buy second hand. I have done repairs to holes on my airfloor in complex shapes on splits up to half an inch long. No previous experience. BUT, if I had the money I'd buy new. But with a family and associated costs, purchases like this are always WAY down the list.

The bottom of the V of the airfloor has a flat web across it, creating a flat area all the way along. This is what you lay your luggage and fuel tanks on. The tank sits underneath the seat, the floor has tags in it just here to tie your tank to. Everything needs lashing down otherwise it'll bounce right out of the boat or at the very least slide downhill to the transom. It's a bouncy ride to say the least but thats SIBs for you and for us part of their appeal, they are very easy to get airborne!

Simon
__________________
simonafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:48   #5
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
I've had an Aerotec and a MK2c, both powered by Yam 25hp 2 strokes, the Futura was slightly quicker than the Aerotec.

But in terms of a packable sib, the Aerotec is the best allrounder there is, boot to water in 15 mins with a bravo pump.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:54   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I've had an Aerotec and a MK2c, both powered by Yam 25hp 2 strokes, the Futura was slightly quicker than the Aerotec.

But in terms of a packable sib, the Aerotec is the best allrounder there is, boot to water in 15 mins with a bravo pump.
any idea why ? I assumed with the reduced weight I'd get more speed

I wondered if I'd need to change my prop ?

Is there any other way to get some more speed out of my current engine (its about as heavy as I'd like) without spending a ton of money ?

Packing and hauling up the beach is hard work with the MK2.
__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:57   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Unless I win some money I'll never have sufficient funds to buy a new ... anything really!

In my opinion, as long as the transom seams, tube seams and airfloor are all ok then buy second hand. I have done repairs to holes on my airfloor in complex shapes on splits up to half an inch long. No previous experience. BUT, if I had the money I'd buy new. But with a family and associated costs, purchases like this are always WAY down the list.

The bottom of the V of the airfloor has a flat web across it, creating a flat area all the way along. This is what you lay your luggage and fuel tanks on. The tank sits underneath the seat, the floor has tags in it just here to tie your tank to. Everything needs lashing down otherwise it'll bounce right out of the boat or at the very least slide downhill to the transom. It's a bouncy ride to say the least but thats SIBs for you and for us part of their appeal, they are very easy to get airborne!

Simon
I have a young family and a house that needs A LOT of work so didn't really want to buy new but a choice between a 12 year old boat at near 1500 that'll likely need a mountain of glueing or a new one for 2300ish that'll be trouble free....

If I could find a 3-5year old one at sensible money I'd buy this but I've been looking for a long time now and with the season coming up I'm getting impatient ! lol
__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:59   #8
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
any idea why ? I assumed with the reduced weight I'd get more speed

I wondered if I'd need to change my prop ?

Is there any other way to get some more speed out of my current engine (its about as heavy as I'd like) without spending a ton of money ?

Packing and hauling up the beach is hard work with the MK2.

Speed tubes. Less wetted area=more speed. The 'deep' V of the Aerotec has a lot more drag, the Futura rides on top of the water, which is quicker. It wasnt a massive difference, about 2 or 3 kts.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 11:04   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Speed tubes. Less wetted area=more speed. The 'deep' V of the Aerotec has a lot more drag, the Futura rides on top of the water, which is quicker. It wasnt a massive difference, about 2 or 3 kts.
I don't have speed tubes on mine so will hope for more speed
__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 11:19   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I have a young family and a house that needs A LOT of work so didn't really want to buy new but a choice between a 12 year old boat at near 1500 that'll likely need a mountain of glueing or a new one for 2300ish that'll be trouble free....

If I could find a 3-5year old one at sensible money I'd buy this but I've been looking for a long time now and with the season coming up I'm getting impatient ! lol
gumtree.com is a good place to look other than ebay. Also try searching less specificly, i.e. type in 'inflatable' or 'rib'. When I found mine it was advertised as zodiac inflatable. Wouldnt have spotted it if I'd searched for bombard or aerotec. Likewise I missed out on a futura mk3 because it had been advertised just as a rib inflatable.

The repairs to mine took maybe an afternoon in total. Got in trouble for insisting on repairing the airfloor on the dinner table but needs must!

I dont roll the airfloor up to store it, I just leave it hanging from the shed rafters as I think the creasing from rolling it up will damage it in time. The hull gets rolled up and stored under decent heavy duty tarp in the front yard.

Simon
__________________

__________________
simonafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.