Old 14 July 2017, 14:20   #41

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

I do wonder if the forum members who live here realise just how lucky they are.
I am lucky enough to live in Torbay, and yes, I admit, do quite often take it for granted. It is not until we travel, especially to my native Yorkshire, that you realise what we have, and cannot wait to get back.
Old 14 July 2017, 17:52   #42

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
Quote:
gps... Bet it was an odd feeling to have the RNLI bearing down on you I presume at callout speed. As I do at every opportunity went to look at Two Anne's the other day... put something in the tin... refresh my car stickers... buy key rings new hats etc.

Mrs Fenlander quite fancied the deck space in that 8.5m lifeboat... but it just wouldn't fit our garage.

The Arancia was inflated and leaning up so I could only see the underside but I've never seen one and would like to as they seem similar to the Aerotec in some ways.... well the same length at least and they nip about in the surf.

Yep the weather seems to be very favourable at the moment. Our tally is still just one day with rain out of eight here. I see looking forward to the first three days of whoever takes the place after us it's due to be sunny too so since we arrived that would make 16 virtually dry days with modest winds and sea state.

Yep did see the pilot boat behind the coaster and in front of dredger. I assume the dredger has some sort of special steering like water jets(??) given the way it could slew across the channel causing us to cozy up to the moored boats for safety.

Mickhitch... I guess it depends how dog friendly you want it. We accept taking the dog limits things like certain shops, the supermarkets, museums etc. But we have found a very acceptable beach front eatery in Shaldon (The Clipper) which allows dogs inside... a dog friendly café in Tegnmouth... plus the art gallery welcomed him but we were buying. We have been on The Ness beach in Shaldon and Back Beach Teignmouth where dogs can go anywhere so we're happy with that... the main beaches in both places do not allow dogs in the summer which is fair enough.

Even places where we have asked but he was not allowed have been apologetic in a friendly way rather than serves you right for bringing him.
Ahhh. Your missing the best place to be. Friday evenings at The Ship over the Teignmouth side. Im sitting here now woth a cold Guinness and its glorious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_184947.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	120739  
Old 17 July 2017, 08:54   #43

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
I do wonder if the forum members who live here realise just how lucky they are.
I guess you are back in the real world now Dave ...... .... I hope you enjoyed your holiday break in 'our little world' ...........

Just to stir you up ............. I went fishing over to Hopes Nose and the Orestone early this morning ........ lovely in the clear blue sky, no wind, and a tiny very long swell .......... good trip at 28knts .........

Yester day was also good ............. we took the eldest grandson out fishing to the wreck of the SS Galacia which is about a mile off the Parson & Clark (Dawlish end of the beach) ......... again a realy nice moring which was hot and a flat calm sea ............. ended up eith a couple of plaice for tea ..........
Old 17 July 2017, 09:06   #44

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Excellent to get out early... we can't due to launch location.

Still here until Thurs pm... we always take two weeks to make the travel and set up/taking down of the SIB more worthwhile.

Just waiting for the (smallish) high tide at "our" slip then we're off somewhere shortly. I see a gentle easterly today and a stiffer one tomorrow... enough to stir up the ebb I wonder... we'll see tomorrow.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:17   #45

Quote:
Excellent to get out early... we can't due to launch location.

Still here until Thurs pm... we always take two weeks to make the travel and set up/taking down of the SIB more worthwhile.

Just waiting for the (smallish) high tide at "our" slip then we're off somewhere shortly. I see a gentle easterly today and a stiffer one tomorrow... enough to stir up the ebb I wonder... we'll see tomorrow.

If you are going out, then go out today as the swell forecast is about 1ft @ 6secs for most of the day ........... you certainly wont be going out tomorrow ........ by lunch time the swell will be 4.7ft @5secs ........ with an Easterly gusting to 22knts .......... the river entrance will be a bit sh!tty !
Old 17 July 2017, 09:30   #46

Am I right in thinking if we are back in tomorrow before the ebb starts running we'll be OK?

Wind speed of say up to 15kts with gusts just over 20kts is about the maximum we favour on our usual days out from home but our estuary mouth is far wider and something of a quiet haven as you get in from the sea further out... opp way round to Teignmouth.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:52   #47

Quote:
Am I right in thinking if we are back in tomorrow before the ebb starts running we'll be OK?

Wind speed of say up to 15kts with gusts just over 20kts is about the maximum we favour on our usual days out from home but our estuary mouth is far wider and something of a quiet haven as you get in from the sea further out... opp way round to Teignmouth.
In the morning you are still looking at 3 - 4ft ......... personally I wouldnt go out in that, the east wind will be starting to give breaking waves .........

However, an East often makes the river quite sheltered and it can be quite pleasant on the river.

Here is the info you need ...........

Name:	sea_1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	120783

Name:	Sea 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	120784

Name:	sea 3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	120785
Old 17 July 2017, 09:54   #48

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
david are you stopping in a cottage any info when you get back home would be appreciated
Old 17 July 2017, 10:00   #49

Thanks GPS... as ever caution will be applied... might just watch the others fighting it from a seat on the Ness.

Of course Jeff I'll PM you when we get back. It would quite suit you to operate from as the place has it's own private parking for car and trailer (plus a visitor space)... which is a hens teeth thing in this area.
Old 17 July 2017, 10:06   #50

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
thanks david know what you mean re parking we do brixham quite a bit started going out of town and putting the boat in the marina for the week more expensive but very easy means i can go out any time weather permitting

cheers
Old 17 July 2017, 17:52   #51

Probably the best few hours out today since we started smallcraft boating.

Lovely sunshine but not oppressively hot... modest wind with a lovely swell that made it fun but not enough to need to back off... high tide midday... lovely coastline.. yep pretty well perfect.

Absolutely glorious whether speeding along or on a lazy tickover drift out to sea taking in the peace, quiet and gentle motion of the swell.

Ran up to Dawlish for a look and Ness beach on the way back.

Few pics...

At slip waiting for crew... captain and first mate wondering if Shag Rock was named after the seabird or because it looks like a knob... powering off to Dawlish leaving Teignmouth behind... drifting off Dawlish with not another craft in sight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec slip.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	120804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain & 1st mate.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	120805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawlish run.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	120806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearing Dawlish.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	120807  
Old 17 July 2017, 18:08   #52

Quote:
Probably the best few hours out today since we started smallcraft boating.

Lovely sunshine but not oppressively hot... modest wind with a lovely swell that made it fun but not enough to need to back off... high tide midday... lovely coastline.. yep pretty well perfect.

Absolutely glorious whether speeding along or on a lazy tickover drift out to sea taking in the peace, quiet and gentle motion of the swell.

Ran up to Dawlish for a look and Ness beach on the way back.

Few pics...

At slip waiting for crew... captain and first mate wondering if Shag Rock was named after the seabird or because it looks like a knob... powering off to Dawlish leaving Teignmouth behind... drifting off Dawlish with not another craft in sight.
Excellent ............

The sea state was pretty flat today............ tomorrow wont be though

Shag Rock / Parson & Clerk are one of my favourite fishing spots for both Bass an Pollock. At High tide you can get close into the rock and through the parson channel. Almost a mile out to sea from there is the wreck of the SS Galacia (1917) and good plaice fishing grounds.

I guess you were time limited by the neap time for landing, but you could have extended the trip up past Dawlish Warren and Exmouth which is quite nice ..........

This is the history of those rocks .......... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend...rson_and_Clerk

Glad you are enjoying our coast ............ we never get tired of it !
Old 20 July 2017, 09:44   #53

Well all good things must come to an end and all that.... packing up early to have a restful day before hitting the M5 this evening to avoid the ghastly Friday am traffic (cottage is a Friday changeover). I prefer to pass the Bristol area something above walking pace.

I'll chuck a few more images and a bit of a summary on when everything is washed down and sorted away.

Always a bit sad to let the air out after a couple of weeks on the water!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deflating.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	120837  
Old 26 July 2017, 09:33   #54

Just a few loose ends to tidy up on this thread now we have our feet under the table at home and everything is finally cleaned and stowed away.

For the sake of accuracy in post #51 above we actually passed Dawlish and had a look in the mouth of the Exe so the last pic is of us drifting off Exmouth. I hadn't researched the Exe entrance enough to go in and left it for another day (year now a it turns out) as the ladies wanted to swim from Teignmouth main beach. That night we watched the most amazing sunset from the cottage to top off a brilliant day.

The following day the promised gusty easterly arrived so we decided to stay safe and go up the river towards Newton Abbot. Got caught in a small squall causing daughter to be dropped off back at the cottage then Mrs Fenlander and I decided to have a cautious look at the entrance as the ebb started. We went out halfway to the outer marker and bobbed about so Mrs F could take so pics of the waves breaking on the seafront. Shortly after I walked round and took the image below from the Ness... starting to look a challenge for a SIB.

The next day was our last boating day with a gusting westerly. Decided to make another attempt at Newton Abbot but were a little early for the tide and when the sounder went down to 0.7m and the skeg ploughed through a couple of high spots decided to return and go out to sea.

The westerly had strengthened against the flood and we were taken aback at the waves towards the outer marker so after a 15min run along the length of Teignmouth promenade and the other way along Ness beach decided better to get back in as another 10-20% on the sea state would have made it very uncomfortable for family +dog sibbing.

During our run through the harbour either the flood and/or the westerly had increased and it was unexpectedly rough in the estuary just west of Shaldon bridge... a short deep chop 45deg off the bow which was more in keeping with open sea and we were soaked in the 10mins running back to the slip.

The final day was non-boating just relaxing walking the dog and eating out... plus packing the boat away into the car. After the dreadful Friday midday traffic on the way down we left Thurs pm around 6.30 and got home with no holdups in half the time.

All in all a brilliant two weeks. We only had one day when rain stopped boating... the rest of the time it was sunny or sunny spells with one spell of heavy rain at night which is never a problem.... we had an unpacking/packing day at each end of the holiday but from the remaining 12 days we had great boating trips on 11 of them.

We liked being based at the quiet location of Ringmore.... found a great dog friendly beachfront eatery a 15min walk away in Shaldon... enjoyed the somewhat genteel seaside style of Teignmouth... always pleased to look round an RNLI boatshed... good to see safe swimming on the seafront with the RNLI lifeguards.... found a Chinese takeaway and a chip shop we enjoyed... Teignmouth museum was interesting... some quirky shops in town... wife and daughters really enjoyed the Shaldon Wildlife Trust small animal "Zoo" and their meet the animal experiences.

Parking in Shaldon can be a nightmare and even the large Ness car park was full on a sunny Sunday. Teignmouth was similar at weekends and at times in the week... it was best to walk to take the foot ferry and in our case use the SIB to ferry to the quiet Gales Hill slip which is two mins off the town centre.

Yep Devon delivered... many thanks again to those who gave advice on the thread and by PM.

Pics... Sunset... RNLI beach rescue gear... Teign entrance with easterly against ebb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunset Ringmore.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	121037   Click image for larger version

Name:	RNLI jetski.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	121038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough entrance.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	121039  
Old 26 July 2017, 13:36   #55

Glad you enjoyed your stay in our little world ! ........ yes, the pace is a tad slower here

It looks like you also stole the summer weather and took it home with you ........ please send it back el pronto

You might be interested to know that the Beachcomber cafe on teignmouth sea front was destroyed by fire last night, however, it is a long tradition family business so hopefully they will get it up and runnng asap.

Your pic of the rough sea ........... it was like that (probably worse) yesterday afternoon / evening ........... a short 2sec 3.5ft swell, making fishing from the RIB very uncomfortable.

I guess you noticed how all the boats stick to the speed limit in the harbour and estuary

I hope you come back as see us again .................
Old 26 July 2017, 14:20   #56

Cheers gps.... sorry re weather.

Personally I'd book the same place again for next summer right now but having broken me of turning north to Scotland for the past several decades Mrs Fenlander wants to go further into Devon next year... or possibly south Cornwall. Hence my next thread that will appear soon!
Old 26 July 2017, 14:30   #57

Quote:
Cheers gps.... sorry re weather.

Personally I'd book the same place again for next summer right now but having broken me of turning north to Scotland for the past several decades Mrs Fenlander wants to go further into Devon next year... or possibly south Cornwall. Hence my next thread that will appear soon!
Tell Mrs F that there is a least another 2 weeks of 'to do's' here !

However, there are some nice places to rent in both Devon and Cornwall ........ there is a lovely cottage on the river Yealm at Newton Ferrers / Noss Mayo that is only accessable by boat ! ............ there are also some nice places with their own moorings on the River Fowey in Cornwall.

All the best .............
Old 26 July 2017, 14:34   #58

>>>Tell Mrs F that there is a least another 2 weeks of 'to do's' here !

Oh trust me I have... every time we find a perfect location I plead to stay again the next year to get the benefit of knowing the basics of a location before we arrive.

But I've only managed that twice in 35yrs.

Give her some credit though she's very keen on a SIB based holiday so I can't really complain.
Old 02 August 2017, 18:22   #59

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Glad you had such a good trip the the Teign and environs - you certainly had the weather and made the most of it.

Enjoyed all your posts, so thanks for taking the time to chronicle and share your experiences & holiday.

Just returned today from week at Dartmouth - weather could not have been more different - 4 days of solid heavy rain and 2 of high winds kicking up large SW seas in the Range and outside. Managed to get the boat on the water for 1 day only and that was bimbling around on the river in heavy showers.

As for strapping her up today, getting the cover off and getting everything packed all in torrential rain today for a very miserable tow back to Gloucester ready for our IoW jaunt in 2 weeks- I haven't yet dried out!!! Still, could be worse...I'm back at work tomorrow!