Old 13 May 2012, 14:27   #1

Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30
Battery type on a Sib for engine start.

Hi

I have just converted my Mariner 30 to an electric start on the sib (Quicksilver Hd 430).
At present for test purposes i have used a leisure battery i had at work but i now need to get the correct type.
Can anyone tell me what amperage battery i would require to turn the engine enough and if its just a standard car type battery would be suitable or should it be a sealed type.
I would secure it properly in the boat but should it be in a box?

Many thanks
Pete

Old 14 May 2012, 10:57   #2

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
I prefer an AGM (Advanced Glass Mat). They are much smaller than a flooded cell, and no matter what direction they face the battery can not leak. They do cost a lot more, but it is for a boat. I use a Hawker Odyssey, and there are many other brands available here in the USA like Lifeline, etc.

This is the battery I have Amazon.com: Odyssey PC925 Automotive and LTV Battery: Automotive With a heavy electrical load of VHF radio equipped with DSC and a Garmin GPS, plus the electric starter, I can't imagine anything smaller in my own boat.

You will want an onboard battery charger from the engine with a voltage regulator not just a rectifier. AGM's require a different type of battery charger on land and I would recommend one of the CTeK battery chargers as many of them work with the AGM's.

Old 14 May 2012, 11:37   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I used to use a tractor/garden battery on my old SIB (Honda 40.) About $40US without shopping around (had to replace it on a trip one time.) Did fine for starting, but not much reserve for engine-off electrical demand. Depends on what kind of electronics you have, and how often/long you run said electronics off the battery though. Nice compact form factor; can tuck it away anyplace. For a 30hp motor, you shouldn't need much battery to crank it.

A regular wet cell car battery would do fine; just make sure it can't tip over (i.e. strap it down.) Generally cheaper than an AGM as well (though that may be changing.) Ideal would be an AGM, as they are not prone to leakage, and are largely maintenance-free.

jky
Old 14 May 2012, 12:11   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.
Forgot to mention this will be used only for starting purposes nothing else.
Also as i use it when were away in the caravan i do have charging facilitys at hand.
Pete
Old 14 May 2012, 12:17   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
We have a Yamaha 30hp in our 4m searider. I went and bought the smallest conventional car type battery I could find at our battery suppliers. About 34Ah IIRC.

I thought about lawnmower batteries and motorcycle batteries and even some of the hi tech completely sealed race car / aeroplane batteries but decided a car battery was best value for money.

It's secure under the console in the rib so i'm not worried about it tipping over or spilling.
For a SIB I might have considered something a little better sealed - don't want to be kneeling in acid!
Old 14 May 2012, 13:12   #6

I have been looking at the possibility of using say a small car battery(punto?)and mounting underneath my console in a battery box.Was hoping to get a sealed type something like this.
SEALED Car Battery, 063 - Maintenance Free - Peugeot 206, 207, 306 Petrol on eBay!
Think a visit to the motor factors may be on the cards tomorrrow.
Old 14 May 2012, 13:45   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
A standard sealed lead acid would be your best bet in my view. Cheaper than an AGM and less particular about charging voltages etc. Ideally put it in a box so you don't risk shorting out the terminals and fix the box to the transom or console somehow.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 18:07   #8

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
AGM batteries do not require a special charger. I checked a manufacturers web site. Gel batteries do require a different rate of charge. A charger with a combined gel/agm selection is bogus. Gel batteries do have advantages over regular wet cell batteries. Their construction is much more vibration or impact resistant than a regular car battery and they discharge slower when sitting unused.
Old 14 May 2012, 18:35   #9

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
small boat, small battery?

Maybe look at a motorbike battery?

If one can start my 1150cc boxer, should have no issues with a 30 hp outboard.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:15   #10

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
AGM batteries do not require a special charger. I checked a manufacturers web site.
Got a link?

What voltage does your wet cell battery charger operate at that you are charging you AGM's with, at peak voltage? What voltage does the charger float at?

Voltage is more critical with an AGM. They can handle an insane amount of amperage that would boil a wet cell.

I guess I am the only one that doesn't like the sloshing around of acid inside my boat. Then again my boat has higher electrical demands requiring a much larger battery.

Wet cells are cheap, but also require a nice vented battery box. As long as you have a charging system on the boat a small motorcycle battery should meet your demands.