Old 20 May 2012, 23:48   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Here in the USA they also require the battery cable ends to be covered. That was just part of a stringent Coast Guard inspection I got BEFORE launching many years ago with my Correct Craft.
It's actually not required, except to pass the voluntary inspection. There is no CG requirement. It is suggested that they be covered, such that stray metallic objects falling on the battery won't short pos to neg.

I had the same box on my Achilles, sized for a tractor battery.

jky
Old 21 May 2012, 00:18   #22

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
When I asked the 3 men from the Coast Guard if I could op out, they said NO! It was the Coast Guard as their boat was right there at the dock. No auxiliary signs, no hat stating volunteer, they were the real deal. The only bummer was we were staring at ridable glassy water 150 feet away...Oh well it is the only time it has happened and they were nice and professional about the whole thing. Lots of respect to our Coastie's and the jobs they do for us.

Why weren't you diving today JKY? My excuse is my friend wasn't feeling good, plus I had a lot to get done today. I'll be diving for a week in Hawaii soon enough...
Old 21 May 2012, 04:50   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
[QUOTE=Peter_C;463631]The only bummer was we were staring at ridable glassy water 150 feet away...{/quote]

A healthy dose of electrical tape would take care of it (probably more securely than the plastic caps they sell.)

Quote:
Why weren't you diving today JKY? My excuse is my friend wasn't feeling good, plus I had a lot to get done today. I'll be diving for a week in Hawaii soon enough...
No reason, really. Have a ton of yard work to get to (eventually - didn't get to it this weekend), and still waiting for the remnants of this damned head cold to subside. Might make it down for a day next weekend (probably won't do a multi-day because of the holiday), then up to Albion over the first weekend of June. If you can make it up, you should swing by for dinner Saturday night.

jky