Old 18 June 2012, 11:47   #1

Length: 4m +
Avon S550 Sportsboat

I have an Avon S550 Sportsboat which I bought new in 1975 and want to know its value.

It is still in pristine condition having only been used about 20 times in its lifetime.and it hasn't been used since 1985. The rest of the time it has been in its valise, in its box trailer, in my garage. A garage I want a bit more space in!. I inflated it in my garden the last bit of decent weather we had and it was still the beautifull boat I always remembered. It is rated for 8 people (up to 165lb each) plus up to a 55hp outboard. It has only been used for family fishing trips and never for waterskiing. I would like to sell it but I do not intend to give it away so has anybody an idea what this might go for.
Old 18 June 2012, 18:01   #2

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu 70 HP 2 st
Hi and welcome to Ribnet , do you have any photos ?
Old 18 June 2012, 18:08   #3

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: Dennis & no name
Make: Avon Sportboat & SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 3.5 & ??
How exciting!! Would love to see some pictures.
Old 19 June 2012, 18:33   #4

Avon S550 sportsboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Hi and welcome to Ribnet , do you have any photos ?
Hi there

Attached are a couple of photos I took when I inflated it in the garden Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06931.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	69498

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06933.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	69499recently

Views:	671
ID:	69498
Old 19 June 2012, 18:40   #5

Avon S550 Sportsboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker View Post
How exciting!! Would love to see some pictures.
Hi There

Attached are a few photos I took when I inflated it in the garden recently.

regards

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06933.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	69501[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	287
ID:	69500  
Old 19 June 2012, 18:58   #6

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Looks lovely, hard to value as quite big for a sib these days but I would have thought anywhere from 300-700? Have watched a few on eBay but smaller and that seems to be the price range. Yours is however in excellent condition so someone may pay a premium. £1000 buys a fair bit of sib on the used market from what I can see.
Old 19 June 2012, 19:55   #7

Looks fantastic - I have the same boat:-) is the spray deck still attached and does it have an inflatable seat? Looks like it does but it's not inflated? I think the valuation of 3-700 is about right although the higher value end normally seems to include an engine on eBay etc... I would be very interested in it. Could you pm me and we could have a chat?
Old 20 June 2012, 10:33   #8

Town: Eastbourne
Make: Elling K430SL
Engine: 5hp 2T
If it does end up on ebay, definitely mention the provenance, it's what attracted me to the (smaller) Avon I bought recently from it's original 1987 owner. Photos as posted, plus all packed up in it's valise(s) too. Brochure scans for dimensions etc if you have that still (my previous owner did).

I'd say £400-600 sold with the launching wheels. Trolley will fetch £60-90 on it's own, and I'd list the box trailer mentioned in your OP separately too if that's also going.
Old 20 June 2012, 19:28   #9

Found it on eBay yesterday item # 320925753037
Old 21 June 2012, 12:42   #10

Avon S550 Sportsboat

I'm glad you found it on e-bay. I have been through the 32+ pages twice and not spotted it.

I posed the question about what the value of the boat is with Ribnet to see if I was asking too much for it or indeed too little. If it doesn't sell, it can stay where it is in my garage for my grandchildren - if I live that long!!

Regards
Old 24 June 2012, 18:39   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandrew View Post
I'm glad you found it on e-bay. I have been through the 32+ pages twice and not spotted it.

I posed the question about what the value of the boat is with Ribnet to see if I was asking too much for it or indeed too little. If it doesn't sell, it can stay where it is in my garage for my grandchildren - if I live that long!!

Regards

I think you have put in the wrong section. 'Inflatable Kayaks' seems to be the default, but not a lot of people who are looking for boat would look through there.

it will do much better if you list in both 'Sailing>Dinghies/Boats' and 'Boats & Watercraft > Other Watercraft'
Old 05 July 2012, 18:50   #12

Boat name: christopher fout
Make: christopher fout
i need to make the floor

Quote:
I have an Avon S550 Sportsboat which I bought new in 1975 and want to know its value.

It is still in pristine condition having only been used about 20 times in its lifetime.and it hasn't been used since 1985. The rest of the time it has been in its valise, in its box trailer, in my garage. A garage I want a bit more space in!. I inflated it in my garden the last bit of decent weather we had and it was still the beautifull boat I always remembered. It is rated for 8 people (up to 165lb each) plus up to a 55hp outboard. It has only been used for family fishing trips and never for waterskiing. I would like to sell it but I do not intend to give it away so has anybody an idea what this might go for.
i have one of these i pulled out of a barn if you still have it is there any way u could take some picturs of the floor with a tape on it so i have an idea of what its supost to be the wood is all bout gone on mine so i cant use as a templet thx
Old 20 April 2016, 12:12   #13

Town: Nortwich
Boat name: No Name
Make: Avon
Engine: 4 hp 20 hp
Hi john this is colin i bourth your avon s550 / got the 4 hp runing nice & i have a 20 hp not been in the water yet , makeing a trail 4 it at the mo ,i will send some pic soon bey 4 now col
Old 20 April 2016, 13:01   #14

Town: Nortwich
Boat name: No Name
Make: Avon
Engine: 4 hp 20 hp
Quote:

Hi john this is colin i bourth your avon s550 / got the 4 hp runing nice & i have a 20 hp not been in the water yet , makeing a trail 4 it at the mo ,i will send some pic soon bey 4 now co
Old 20 April 2016, 15:06   #15

Town: aintree
Boat name: megus
Make: avon s400
Engine: 20hp yamaha
i would say its worth £650max, i purchased a cracking s400 with trailer for £475 yours being a 550 would need a bit of muscle to get that in water.still it looks a cracking boat.