Old 03 July 2012, 15:54   #1

Town: slough
Boat name: not named yet
Make: Orkney Dory 4 metre
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard evinrude 60
Avon s400 broken front floor wood !!!!

Hello folks, ive not been on for a while due to being busy with another project boat.

Last year i sold my trusty avon S400 to a friend of mine who has not exactly looked after it very well.
its been left outside in the elements and not covered etc.
probably full of water and leaves for about 6 months .

Anyway, last week he took it down to newquay and went out and played in some rough waves with a tohatsu 25hp on the back.
He was playing about and getting a bit too confident for a learner inflatable boat driver !!!.

He and 2 others in the boat went flat out (about 24mph) straight into a nice big face on wave....

He now knows what it feels and sounds like when the front fixed board in an avon explodes due to being stupid.
it also broke the very front board and one of the battens in the board behind the fixed one.
so he obviously was being very stupid, and not realising how dangerous it can be to go flat out into big waves.

So my question is how to fix a new board into the boat.
The board that is broken is the fixed board, about 1'' thick that dont come out.

Is this a hard job to undertake ?

what tools and glues etc would be needed to replace this board.

is there a certain wood that is reccommended for this or would a good bit of treated ply be ok.

any advice will be great

phill

p.s i think my friend has learned a good lesson about what not to do in a boat.
Attached Images

Old 04 July 2012, 22:21   #2

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Big Red
Make: Achilles
Engine: Tohatsu 50
I replaced mine. Not too bad. They are glued in and a little difficult to get the board positioned and glued from the bottom. I build my new board with the old one. Mine was rotten and had fallen apart. If I remember right it was only 5/8" or 3/4" plywood. I made mine from the same.
Old 05 July 2012, 14:01   #3

what glue did you use, and what did you use to clean the rubber before you glued it back in.

Ive heard someone say to use a heat gun to get the old wood away from the glued area, but i realy dont fancy that idea.

we are thinking of using a hardwood like keroin or oak for the new board.
any views on why we shouldnt use a hard wood instead of marine ply ?

phill
Old 05 July 2012, 14:13   #4

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
I used Mahogany marine ply from old a dry transom I bought a a marine salvage yard, the new stuff is very pricey now.

In my experience White Oak does not like to hold a straight line unless sealed very well.

Cheers, Don
Old 08 July 2012, 21:31   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
Hello folks, ive not been on for a while due to being busy with another project boat.

Last year i sold my trusty avon S400 to a friend of mine who has not exactly looked after it very well.
its been left outside in the elements and not covered etc.
probably full of water and leaves for about 6 months .

Anyway, last week he took it down to newquay and went out and played in some rough waves with a tohatsu 25hp on the back.
He was playing about and getting a bit too confident for a learner inflatable boat driver !!!.

He and 2 others in the boat went flat out (about 24mph) straight into a nice big face on wave....

He now knows what it feels and sounds like when the front fixed board in an avon explodes due to being stupid.
it also broke the very front board and one of the battens in the board behind the fixed one.
so he obviously was being very stupid, and not realising how dangerous it can be to go flat out into big waves.

So my question is how to fix a new board into the boat.
The board that is broken is the fixed board, about 1'' thick that dont come out.

Is this a hard job to undertake ?

what tools and glues etc would be needed to replace this board.

is there a certain wood that is reccommended for this or would a good bit of treated ply be ok.

any advice will be great

phill

p.s i think my friend has learned a good lesson about what not to do in a boat.
Don 't tell him how to fix it as he sounds like a danger to everyone else around him enough boy racers on the road never mind at sea.
Old 12 July 2012, 01:03   #6

"Don 't tell him how to fix it as he sounds like a danger to everyone else around him enough boy racers on the road never mind at sea."

The whole idea of having a boat is to have fun.
Most peoples idea of fun is bashing around in waves if they have inflatable boats.

Not everyone has tiny little engines and goes put putting around like sad old men.
Im talking about people who like to enjoy themself on the water, Get a bit of a kick from playing around on the waves, not those who smoke pipes and enjoy watching their wifes spinning yarn to make thick socks and tank tops.

There is a lot more people that have sports boats that go fast than those with small under powered boats.

The board in the avon has probably seen better days.

If you look at what the boats were originaly designed for, no wave should realy break the main board, these boats were made for severe waters as rescue craft.

Wouldnt be much point of a rescue craft pottering along at 5 knots !!!!

phill