Old 13 August 2007, 01:17   #1

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Avon Redshank old sib

Hi, I just bought on ebay an old Avon Redshank. I'm thinking that these have not been available for many years, I seem to remember that they were once used for a British expedition on the Blue Nile. I'm wondering if anyone has used these for whitewater and if there are still a few more around. For anyone who may be wondering what this boat is, it to my knowledge is the largest dinghy of the Avon line. The others were Red Start, Red Crest, Red Seal. My boat has the old A4 volcano valves and I suspect it must be over 40 years old.
Old 13 August 2007, 03:58   #2

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
i too picked up an old avon red..something at a garage sale. it also has some kind of really old valves and came with this cool bellows style pump and box.

i think they would make cool little whitewater rafts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-02-13 016 (Small).JPG
Views:	2496
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	29234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-02-13 020 (Small).JPG
Views:	833
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	29235  
Old 13 August 2007, 11:46   #3

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Nice looking boat! I think yours is a Red Crest, which seems to be the only one of the 4 that are still available.
Old 17 February 2010, 02:07   #4

Town: SHEPTON MALLET
Boat name: Teymar
Make: Shetland 536
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 75
Avon Redshank

I know this is waaay too late for constructive feedback but I've only just stumbled across the board/subject!

For information though, the largest inflatable which Avon UK produced in the seventies, was known as the Redshank at some 15' long. It was very much marketed at the time as THE whitewater raft which conquered the Blue Nile (I can visualise the literature now!). I was so smitten with the idea of whitewater rafting, I went out and bought one, and still have it to this day, even though I lived nowhere near any suitable location for adventure rafting at the time!
Old 17 February 2010, 15:54   #5

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Avon Redshank

Many Redshanks were built in the 60's. If it's a black one it will be pre 68. Grey ones were built into the 70's.
Old grey Avons with volcano valves are still quite plentiful, and if the Redshank hasn't been abused too badly it should last and last.
Old 17 February 2010, 16:35   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If anyone wants one I know where there's an 'as new' redseal for sale, complete with o/b bracket.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 23:08   #7

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
I had a couple of Redshanks over the years. Back in the 80s I used them for whitewater rafting. Not a bad boat for up to class III whitewater. Very tough, never had a puncture despite ramming into rocks all the time. The only drawback is a small tube diameter compared to today's whitewater rafts, and the tub floor, which requires bailing. Still a great boat for floating rivers or exploring ponds etc.... I still use mine on flatwater floats. Still see them occasionally on the river.

It's a real shame Avon stopped making the Redseal and Redshank boats. I keep hoping they will bring them back someday.

You probably will want to replace the A4 volcano valves with new Leafield valves.

Here are a few photos of one of my Redshanks, still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	redshankdef 167.jpg
Views:	5796
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	49223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avon redshank 6-04 108.jpg
Views:	3351
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	49224   Click image for larger version

Name:	redshankdef 163.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	49227  
Old 18 February 2010, 15:03   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
my very first inflatable was a black REDCREST, that came from a rubbish skip from the company that i worked at ,was a tender from one of the racing yachts they owned, couple of patches and it lasted me another 20 years ,just looking at the 1968 cataloge the REDSEAL 10 ft long capacity 5-6 persons or 1 person and 5cwt [254kgs stores and up to 5 hp engine ,,,,REDSHANK 12 ft long 6-7 persons or 1 person and 8 cwt [406 kgs] outboard up to 5 .5 hp ,,,, hope you haveas good times with it as i did with mine ,took it out to sea ,on fastflowing rivers ,lakes ,,the only time i ever puntured it was when carrying it up past some old wartime concreate pill boxes on a beach and i caught it on a peice of re bar that was sticking out ,put a 2 " gash in it ..kindest regards mart
Old 20 February 2010, 02:35   #9

Town: Boise
Boat name: whatboat
Make: avon
Engine: 8 hp tohatsu
redshank with rowing frame and outboard

For what it's worth, I revived my dad's old 69 red (shank?) a few years back. I had a rowing frame that I strapped on and lashed to the removable transom. With that set up a 8 hp tohatsu gave a smooth plane at about half throttle with two people. Could go several hours on 2 1/2 gallon tank. Was good for estuaries due to very low draft, but had to watch the weather! Not ideal due to lack of self-bailing. Probably wouldn't recommend this set up, unless someone already had most of the parts, and if so I think a ten hp would be ok. Without the frame no plane and inefficient motoring.

But that avon is very tough. Once in high winds it launched like a kite from shore, towing its 5 lb anchor across the Montana sagebrush until lodging in barbwire several miles away. A few patches later it was as good as new, and still pretty much is. I think I over-inflate it, but it hasn't complained.
Old 28 March 2010, 21:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
my very first inflatable was a black REDCREST, that came from a rubbish skip from the company that i worked at ,was a tender from one of the racing yachts they owned, couple of patches and it lasted me another 20 years ,just looking at the 1968 cataloge the REDSEAL 10 ft long capacity 5-6 persons or 1 person and 5cwt [254kgs stores and up to 5 hp engine ,,,,REDSHANK 12 ft long 6-7 persons or 1 person and 8 cwt [406 kgs] outboard up to 5 .5 hp ,,,, hope you haveas good times with it as i did with mine ,took it out to sea ,on fastflowing rivers ,lakes ,,the only time i ever puntured it was when carrying it up past some old wartime concreate pill boxes on a beach and i caught it on a peice of re bar that was sticking out ,put a 2 " gash in it ..kindest regards mart
,,,wifes just found an old photo of it taken about 1979,boat was about 15 years old then ,,on a reef about a mile offshore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OLDIES 072.jpg
Views:	2119
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	50087  
Old 02 April 2010, 16:14   #11

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
,,,wifes just found an old photo of it taken about 1979,boat was about 15 years old then ,,on a reef about a mile offshore.
What kind of air valves did they use on this vintage? Was it the A4s or something else?
Old 02 April 2010, 17:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
What kind of air valves did they use on this vintage? Was it the A4s or something else?
Brass/bronze ,, screw to open or close types with a hole about half inch diam ,inflating wasent too bad but deflating took forever,