Old 06 June 2008, 23:38   #1

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
avon 5m sib

just aqquired an old avon 16ft sib for the occasional inshore dive and spot of fishing, this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=015
paid 350 for it as the original buyer could not lift it, looks ok tubes hold air well etc, the only fault i can find is a slight weep from one of the valves, where can i buy a valve from? and what engine should i be looking to buy for it? i am guessing at a 20-30hp shortshaft manual start with tiller steer? if anyone has a suitable motor they would like to sell or knows of one please let me know, thanks for any help, mark.
Old 07 June 2008, 05:37   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I believe that boat is rated a bit higher than 30hp-check with Avon but I think you should be able to use a 40hp on it.Good news because it's a lot easier to find a 40hp Mariner with short shaft and tiller steering than almost any other engine bar a seagull

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2008, 12:52   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Well done. Looks you got a great boat in very good condition dirt cheap. The boat with floorboads probably weighs ~ 250 - 290 lbs. Chances are you will want to trailer that boat, rather than set it up and take it down with each use. In that case, an outboard like what Nos4r2 described (which would weigh ~170 -175 lbs) should be ideal. The extra horses will make a big difference in performance with very little effect on gas consumption compared to a 25 - 30 hp. See what the transom plate says about it's max hp. If it is rated for 50hp and you can find a short shaft tillered 50hp yamaha/mariner (same weight as a 40hp) or tohatsu/nissan (~155 lbs), that would be even better still.
Old 07 June 2008, 21:30   #4

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
thanks very much for your help, a mariner 40 it will be then, anyone know of one for sale?