Old 25 January 2009, 13:55   #1

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Aux's?

Hi,
I have asked this question before and told it wasn't necessary, but my missus worries (and I guess maybe I do too...) so....
I currently have a tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke on my sib (3.2m Avon), but my boat has no rowlocks, and to be honest I wouldn't trust myself rowing back in against the tide. Do any of you use an aux on your sibs?
Any recommendations on size of aux? I am thinking of another tohatsu, probably a two stroke. Are there any good power / weight combinations (with the emphasis on weight)?

Old 25 January 2009, 14:31   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Geoff, do you have an anchor and a hand held radio on board, if so I wouldn't bother. Perhaps a toolkit and spare spark plug would be good though, oh and a piece of string and a screwdriver to make a temp pull start, but beyond that there isn't much else you could do at sea.

Pete

Old 25 January 2009, 14:38   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
As usual Pete's right
I'd stick some rowlocks on though-if nothing else you can troll almost silently rowing compared with the underwater racket an outboard makes.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2009, 14:44   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
As usual Pete's right
Oh dear, does that mean someone will give me a green blob or shouldn't we go there
Old 25 January 2009, 15:18   #5

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Geoff, do you have an anchor and a hand held radio on board, if so I wouldn't bother. Perhaps a toolkit and spare spark plug would be good though, oh and a piece of string and a screwdriver to make a temp pull start, but beyond that there isn't much else you could do at sea.

Pete
Yeah Pete, I have all those things and then some. I guess too many people have told me what you are saying now for me to ignore. Maybe since I last used it in the summer I am remembering the boat as being a little bigger than it actually is. Just don't want to get caught out though.
Nos4r2, as always, thanks for your help. I will definately look into the rowlocks, as I already have a set of oars from my other sib. I like the idea of the silent trolling, just not the rowing...
Maybe get someone to row me around whilst I sip gin and tonics waiting for my ratchet to go.
Old 25 January 2009, 17:01   #6

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
small 2 stroke..

You would find a small 2.5 / 3.5 would give you about 5 knots and the short shaft versions are generally small enough to fit in the boat.
2 stroke better than 4 stroke for that. one up a 3.5 might even get you on the plane too.. might not tho!!
I have an aux on my 5 metre inflatable, a longshaft 3.5. Pushes it at a steady 3 knots.. but weighs nothing so works for me..
Old 25 January 2009, 20:56   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Another option would be a Torqueedo Travel 801s which is a folding electric outboard that in weighs about 25 lbs including a integrated lithium battery. It should provide thrust similar to a 4 hp gas ouboard. A battery should last from 3-8 hours between recharges depending on hard you run it.

The advantages I see of this over a small gas auxillary, is that it is lighter, more compact (particularly important on a narrow SIB transom), and most importanly, will still run even if your main outboard had failed due to a fuel related issue.

I wouldn't mind having one of these for trolling and navigating through shallow/weedy areas, as well as a backup.
Old 25 January 2009, 20:57   #8

Here is a review on youtube;

[YOUTUBE]Rs87-qYHAfU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 25 January 2009, 21:47   #9

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Coincidentally, I'm looking for a new auxiliary engine at the moment.

I did have a small, old Evinrude 2hp. Extremely light and compact, but it is past it's best. I've always considered my auxiliary engines to be more important than the main engine. If you need it.....you're really in the ****, and you don't want to be in the ****, ten miles out!

That said, I run my main engines maintenance schedule much like, if not in excess of, that of a single prop aeroplane.

After every two trips, it is compression checked, multimeter readings taken from main electrical components, remaining fuel drained from tank and filtered back....etc.

In all, it takes no more than half an hour including recording all readings in a logbook.

Well worth it. Unlike just about everyone I know, I have never had a mechanical break down of any description over the untold miles we have covered.

Any problems are 99% of the time detectable long before any symptoms begin to develop, and miles before a breakdown or prohibitively expensive, catastrophic failure.

PS. Hi prairie tuber

I was checking out the Torquedos at the London Boat Show, last weekend. On occasion, we use electric outboards for primary power (inshore Bass fishing mostly) and have so far been faithful to Minn Kota for many years. They seemed pretty fine units, the Lithium battery being a revelation, in terms of power to weight, against the usual lead acid. 3kg for a battery! Wow.
The chap (John, if i remember correctly) who imports them into the UK was kind enough to offer a loan of one of his units, in exchange for a review, later in the year. Chances are, I'll try to get one of them out to a Channel Island Bass competition and onto a shallow east coast estuary, sneaking up on the Stingrays and Mullet. Might as well do a short video, this time from the SIB'er / Angler point of view.....and in English. ;-)
Old 25 January 2009, 22:31   #10

Sharkbyte,

Excellent points about the ongoing maintenance & record keeping. I'm definitely looking forward to reading your review of the torqueedo.