Old 01 June 2012, 12:39   #1

Town: Currently ipswich
Boat name: Hinewai
Make: Roberts Ketch
Length: 10m +
Engine: Sail
Aussie yacht visiting UK asking for advice with our tender

Greetings,

Hoping the forum doesn’t go quiet with everyone staring at the yachtie wandering in, but when you need some advice, go to the experts.

My wife and I are half way through our circumnavigation from Australia in our yacht, using a Zodiac CFR 310 as a tender.

It’s done sterling service over the last 5 years – albeit with a pretty pattern of patches now on the tubes from coral nicks. But sadly the H2P inflatable floor hasn’t done so well.

We’ve had an ongoing annoying little air leak from the seam of the flap that attaches the floor to the transom, which despite valiant efforts I’ve never quite managed to stop. However, we could live with pumping the floor up every day.

But now the floor has developed brown patches where the material has become very brittle, is cracking and developing pin-hole leaks. And they’re big areas so sadly I guess the floor is cactus.

Have looked into getting a replacement floor but the £650+ I’ve been quoted is way out of our budget!

Have tried google with no luck, so my question is whether there are any places anyone can recommend where I might be able to pick up a 2nd hand floor?

Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks
Peter
Old 01 June 2012, 13:40   #2

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinewaisman View Post
Greetings,

Hoping the forum doesn’t go quiet with everyone staring at the yachtie wandering in, but when you need some advice, go to the experts.

My wife and I are half way through our circumnavigation from Australia in our yacht, using a Zodiac CFR 310 as a tender.

It’s done sterling service over the last 5 years – albeit with a pretty pattern of patches now on the tubes from coral nicks. But sadly the H2P inflatable floor hasn’t done so well.

We’ve had an ongoing annoying little air leak from the seam of the flap that attaches the floor to the transom, which despite valiant efforts I’ve never quite managed to stop. However, we could live with pumping the floor up every day.

But now the floor has developed brown patches where the material has become very brittle, is cracking and developing pin-hole leaks. And they’re big areas so sadly I guess the floor is cactus.

Have looked into getting a replacement floor but the £650+ I’ve been quoted is way out of our budget!

Have tried google with no luck, so my question is whether there are any places anyone can recommend where I might be able to pick up a 2nd hand floor?

Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks
Peter
Did you drop by Almeria-Spain a month ago?
I remember seeing an aussie yatch moored in my cove, Aguamarga-Cabo de Gata. Not so usual to see aussies there!

Good luck!
Old 01 June 2012, 14:21   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As you have found a new air floor from a dealer is expensive and they are rare to find used. I've seen used ones make £150-£200 and given there is no guarantee of their age/condition I'm not sure I'd take that option.

What about a new budget inflatable which you might get cheaper than a new floor? Do you need an air floor as a hard floor model wil be cheaper new?

Also could you get someone in the Ipswich area to make up a one piece hard floor for your old inflatable?

Have you spoken to Seamark Nunn who are close to you. They deal in Zodiac as well as cheaper makes and sometimes have used models. They have been helpful with me in the past and may have some ideas if they know your situation. 01394 451000
Old 02 June 2012, 10:26   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Wecome to RIBnet Peter!

That a good idea from Fenlander if you don't have to keep deflating the SIB for storage on board. Fitting a hard floor to the SIB shouldn't be too difficult if you use the inflatable floor as a template. You'll have to make it a snug fit that will involve cutting the floor widthways and using some kind of tongue-in-groove fitment to compress everything. best to find someone local that either has a SIB with solid floor so that you can see how it fits together of someone that will do the work for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2012, 10:39   #5

Town: Fareham
Just seen this it a quicksilver one, look at the bottom of the page.

CLEARANCE STUFF

Any good?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2012, 11:30   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi I would look at getting something second hand as most of the ones for sail will have less use in 5 years than you use in a month or too!

Something like this will last a good few more years
Avon S60 Inflatable Sport Boat (Rib Dinghy) | eBay
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote