Old 18 May 2014, 13:44   #1

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Are Viamare boats any good?

Hello everyone!

I've always been a boat enthusiast but I've never had the money to even think about getting one. But somedays ago I found out that Viamare boats are actually really cheap and I could easily afford one. The thing is, are they any good? I can't seem to find any real feed-back on the internet... I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something that floats me around all afternoon with a mate, some beer and a couple of fishing sticks.

Right now I am looking at the Viamare 250T because that is the one I can afford, but if the price is right, I would probably buy a bigger one.

Other suggestions are always welcome but just keep in mind that my budget is really tight.

Cheers
Old 18 May 2014, 14:30   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
The thing is, are they any good? I can't seem to find any real feed-back on the internet...
As a general rule, if you can't find anything about a boat builder on the net and haven't actually seen one in person or met a real long term owner then you need to treat with suspicion.
Old 18 May 2014, 14:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
As a general rule, if you can't find anything about a boat builder on the net and haven't actually seen one in person or met a real long term owner then you need to treat with suspicion.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't know much about boats so I don't pay much attention to their brands. Even if I have seen one in real life, I can tell for sure.

I have seen some videos on youtube of Viamare boats and all I can tell from them is that they float.
There are also a couple of private sellers selling them here in Portugal but I recon I can get a new one from ebay for about 60% of the price.
Old 18 May 2014, 14:50   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I don't know much about boats so I don't pay much attention to their brands. Even if I have seen one in real life, I can tell for sure.
by seen - I really meant closely examined.
Quote:
I have seen some videos on youtube of Viamare boats and all I can tell from them is that they float.
Quote:
There are also a couple of private sellers selling them here in Portugal but I recon I can get a new one from ebay for about 60% of the price.
well a boat you actually get to see and touch and talk to the owner is worth more than a hypothetical one on the internet. As I am sure you realise there are a lot of scams around and even if a boat appears it doesn't mean it will be easy to fix any problems with it.

Generally those on here who buy cheap imports (which I assume this is) have ended up being disappointed or upgrading to known brands eventually.
Old 18 May 2014, 15:02   #5

I have been following some auctions from a German seller on ebay. They sell the boats for 299€ + 49€ (shipping), but they also auction some boats daily that come around fairly cheaper (170€ to 220€ + 49€). Everything seems legit and the seller as 99,7% positive feed-back.
If it's not legit I think I always have the paypal protection.

The guys selling the boats here in Portugal sell them new in box for 380€. What I realise from the pictures is that they are probably buying them from the same ebay seller and then selling them with some profit.
Old 18 May 2014, 15:25   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi Akunamatata, welcome to Ribnet.

As with most things, cheap is rarely good. IMV, you'd be better off buying a good used rig within your budget.
Old 18 May 2014, 15:34   #7

Thanks Mollers. About my nick... well, close enough.

What would you suggest? Used Zodiacs or Suzumar in here go for 400-600 €. It's a bit out of my budget.
Old 18 May 2014, 21:50   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Amukinado,

That brand is supposed to be a German fabrication, down issues. Seems to be a first entry level sib, material is probably too thin compard to standard 0.9 mm pvc fabrics now a days. Has a slated alum floor that could be rolled once tubes are defleated.

A 250 is a vey short and narrowe sib, with extra mate, fishing rods and beers will be bored soon, too small even for pottering around. Save more cash or tell mate to add some and buy a larger one. don't go under a 320 if wanting more fun.

Boating is fun, but definitely not with a 250...

Happy Boating
Old 18 May 2014, 22:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Amukinado,

That brand is supposed to be a German fabrication, down issues. Seems to be a first entry level sib, material is probably too thin compard to standard 0.9 mm pvc fabrics now a days. Has a slated alum floor that could be rolled once tubes are defleated.

A 250 is a vey short and narrowe sib, with extra mate, fishing rods and beers will be bored soon, too small even for pottering around. Save more cash or tell mate to add some and buy a larger one. don't go under a 320 if wanting more fun.

Boating is fun, but definitely not with a 250...

Happy Boating
Thanks mate. That's the kind of feed-back I was looking for.

I recon 250 is a tad too small. Maybe for one guy it could work, but that's not the plan. I'll be looking into the 310 or 330 and see if a good opportunity comes along.
Old 19 May 2014, 12:49   #10

What would you say about this Zodiac?

http://portocity.olx.pt/barco-da-mar...-iid-454288315

It's 2.5 m long but the guy says it can take 4 blokes.
Old 19 May 2014, 13:45   #11

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I've always been a boat enthusiast but I've never had the money to even think about getting one. But somedays ago I found out that Viamare boats are actually really cheap and I could easily afford one. The thing is, are they any good? I can't seem to find any real feed-back on the internet... I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something that floats me around all afternoon with a mate, some beer and a couple of fishing sticks.

Right now I am looking at the Viamare 250T because that is the one I can afford, but if the price is right, I would probably buy a bigger one.

Other suggestions are always welcome but just keep in mind that my budget is really tight.

Cheers
Is that one of those you get when your by the seaside
Old 19 May 2014, 14:23   #12

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Excellent make with one of the best airfloors you can get. It will even take 4 people, if they are all built like Victoria Beckham and the best of friends

We had a 240 as a tender for a few years, we could just get 2 adults and 2 children in it with little room to spare, tubes are a decent size so you keep pretty dry and it would plane with a 4hp outboard.

Its not really big enough for the kind of boating you want to do. Look for a 280 minimum and really a 3 -3.4 for much better performance and handling.

Just another point about the Viamare you mentioned in your 1st post, it has really small tubes, lots of splashing and wet bums
Old 19 May 2014, 14:46   #13

You can put 6 mates on a 250 if the ship is sinking, pass that one. 4 will be cramped, won't be able to take fishing rods, most important, forget all about the beers. I've had 280-305 sibs, good as entry level but too small as your boating likeness and skills begins to grow quite fast. Will end knowing that size and HP are not enough.

Look for a minimum 320-330-340 sib, besides being more sea responsivenes will take a larger 15 HP engine. If going for a smaller engine than max transom rated, will achieve a better speed than with same HP engine runing on a smaller size sib. Drag issues.

Would advice to be patient on your first purchase, you don't want to invest on a sib too small that doesn't work well, selll it losing money and getting more cash to buy a larger one, the larger size you should have bought in first place. Invest wise...

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2014, 15:42   #14

Quote:
You can put 6 mates on a 250 if the ship is sinking, pass that one. 4 will be cramped, won't be able to take fishing rods, most important, forget all about the beers. I've had 280-305 sibs, good as entry level but too small as your boating likeness and skills begins to grow quite fast. Will end knowing that size and HP are not enough.

Look for a minimum 320-330-340 sib, besides being more sea responsivenes will take a larger 15 HP engine. If going for a smaller engine than max transom rated, will achieve a better speed than with same HP engine runing on a smaller size sib. Drag issues.

Would advice to be patient on your first purchase, you don't want to invest on a sib too small that doesn't work well, selll it losing money and getting more cash to buy a larger one, the larger size you should have bought in first place. Invest wise...

Happy Boating
Right now I can't think about bigger engines as I don't have a license. Therefore if I end up getting an engine it will have to be under 6 hp. Above that I'll need license and insurance, things I cannot afford and won't be able to for the next years because I'm a college student with no money income.

With that being said, I'll have to keep in mind the limitations of a smaller boat and be able to live with them. If I end up getting a 250 I'll use it only to fish close to the coastline with another mate or row around the beach with my gf. I think that won't keep me from having fun since I have had tons of fun with the inflatable "toy" boat I have been using for this purpose.

At this point I think I would only buy a 250 if I find a really good deal where I don't lose money when I sell it later, but I am leaning towards a >300 if I just find the right deal.

What is your opinion on the Viamare Z-Ray III 400?

Z-Ray III 400 - www.via-nova-sports.de - Gartenmöbel, Motorboote, Trampoline, Swimming Pools
Old 19 May 2014, 16:18   #15

Completely different if you want to row, rather than motor the boat.

Inflatables dont row particularly well, fragile oar locks, non feathering oars and crappy paddles dont help, but they will feel better than a typical beach toy type boat.

If you are not going to power it, look for a round tail dinghy, they are cheaper, lighter and will take a small engine in the future. Make sure you get one with a proper floor, preferebly air, but slats will do.

WavEco 2.3 Roundtail Dinghy, Inflatable Boats & Dinghies | Mailspeed Marine

But be very careful, dont be tempted to buy the Sea Hawk type boats available on ebay, they are really only beach toys, no proper floor and tiny tubes. Like this

Sea Hawk Sport 400 inflatable dinghy | eBay
Old 19 May 2014, 16:32   #16

Much better than the 250, it's an air deck, if possible ask what's heavy duty pvc gauge fabric for them ? If it's 0.9 mm much better. Would 699 Euro be around 1,000 dollars ?

Regarding price, bear in mind that those are the most simple sibs you can buy, has a stretched bow, life rope is basic, which is cheaper to produce. Not saying that won't perform as expected as long all air chambers are well top inflated, specially the air deck and keel.

Personally would go for that roomier 310 and not the 250, too small and tight. Ask about manufacture warranty at your location. If with non, will need to fix whatever goes wrong at any inflatable repair shop that knows his buissiness well. On inflatables all is glueable or repairable, except fabric when caput.

Round tail dinghies don't acept engines larger that 3.5 HP at the most, won't be able to use a 6 Hp on those. A air deck is much better than a slat floor, better water performance.

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2014, 16:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Completely different if you want to row, rather than motor the boat.

Inflatables dont row particularly well, fragile oar locks, non feathering oars and crappy paddles dont help, but they will feel better than a typical beach toy type boat.

If you are not going to power it, look for a round tail dinghy, they are cheaper, lighter and will take a small engine in the future. Make sure you get one with a proper floor, preferebly air, but slats will do.

WavEco 2.3 Roundtail Dinghy, Inflatable Boats & Dinghies | Mailspeed Marine

But be very careful, dont be tempted to buy the Sea Hawk type boats available on ebay, they are really only beach toys, no proper floor and tiny tubes. Like this

Sea Hawk Sport 400 inflatable dinghy | eBay
I thought about those dinghys. Some are actually quite cool. Are they ok for trolling?

Besides the floor and the tube diameter, what's the difference between those 2 models?
Old 19 May 2014, 16:50   #18

Quote:
Much better than the 250, it's an air deck, if possible ask what's heavy duty pvc gauge fabric for them ? If it's 0.9 mm much better. Would 699 Euro be around 1,000 dollars ?

Regarding price, bear in mind that those are the most simple sibs you can buy, has a stretched bow, life rope is short, which is cheaper to produce. Not saying that won't perform as expected as long all air chambers are well top inflated, specially the air deck and keel.

Personally would go for that roomier 310 and not the 250, too small and tight. Ask about manufacture warranty at your location. If with non, will need to fix whatever goes wrong at any inflatable repair shop that knows his buissiness well. On inflatables all is glueable or repairable, except fabric when caput.

Round tail dinghies don't acept engines larger that 3.5 HP at the most, won't be able to use a 6 Hp on those. A air deck is much better than a slat floor, better water performance.

Happy Boating
Last auction I followed on that model the boat was sold for 460€ shipped (about 630 USD). Pretty neat, I must say.

What's the difference between the deck of the 250 and the 310? I have been reading that air decks are good, but I really don't know the difference.
Old 19 May 2014, 16:51   #19

Quote:
I thought about those dinghys. Some are actually quite cool. Are they ok for trolling?

Besides the floor and the tube diameter, what's the difference between those 2 models?
Sorry, I dont fish.

The material is different, ones a boat the other is a toy.
Old 19 May 2014, 16:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Sorry, I dont fish.

The material is different, ones a boat the other is a toy.
Having a boat and not fishing? For me that's blasphemy...

I'll consider your suggestion and take a look at those round dinghies.

Thanks mate.