Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
£2560, everyone else is still £2300
Old 23 March 2016, 09:54   #42

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahhh OK... I think their keen deal on mine last year was because it was existing stock and Zodiac were in admistration at the time of purchase... no-one knew if Zodiac or the Aerotec brand would carry on forward.
Old 23 March 2016, 10:29   #43

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Honestly I'd get a Honwave secondhand for about £600 or so to tide you over and just keep looking for a nice, well looked after older model Aerotec - one *will* turn up! The new price for one is mad.
Old 23 March 2016, 10:43   #44

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Honestly I'd get a Honwave secondhand for about £600 or so to tide you over and just keep looking for a nice, well looked after older model Aerotec - one *will* turn up! The new price for one is mad.
Might have to do this, must admit they're much better value new aswell, quick google search and the T38 airfloor is £1050 new.

Shame though, the aerotecs sound so good !
Old 23 March 2016, 10:53   #45

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
They are great but not at 2.5k and and will depreciate by 50% immediately. Buy a nice Zodiac 340, Honwave, Quicksilver etc - maybe try that guy in Brighton or wherever flagged up on the 'spotted on eBay' topic and you can sell it on for the same money paid (aim to pay around £500 - £600 for a nice one. And keep searching all the usual advertising sources for boats in the sticky.
Old 23 March 2016, 10:53   #46

Length: 4m +
Regarding the quality issues, do you happen to know where Bombard build their boats these days?

I am asking because I have heard that Zodiac moved their production from France to China last year. One of the changes, at least to the smaller boats, was apparently a shift from welded seams to glued seams.

Do Bombard and Zodiac still have the same owner?

The brand name may be the same but the quality of the product may be very different.
Old 23 March 2016, 10:54   #47

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Sorry to hear about your issues Sean..and my thanks for posting them.

I was in the market for a new boat..and wondered about the Aerotec..but after reading your issues kept well clear.

I guess the worry is.. a struggling company wont dump the two boats you returned.. but punt them onto the next person ?

Once my new boat arrives..(before the weekend ?) ..I will reveal all on my purchase.
Old 23 March 2016, 11:01   #48

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

I was in the market for a new boat..and wondered about the Aerotec..but after reading your issues kept well clear.

I guess the worry is.. a struggling company wont dump the two boats you returned.. but punt them onto the next person ?

Once my new boat arrives..(before the weekend ?) ..I will reveal all on my purchase.
come on gurnard your teasing us what is it
Old 23 March 2016, 11:08   #49

Dont worry Jeff ..all will be told soon.. its not to replace my Quicksilver 4.3 HD though..it is my rough weather ..exposed sea crossing boat..and that will never get replaced.

Im sure you will find my new purchase interesting though.. I have not seen a report on my particular new model here ..yet
Old 23 March 2016, 11:10   #50

Quote:

I'd be really interested to hear what you've bought
Old 23 March 2016, 11:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Regarding the quality issues, do you happen to know where Bombard build their boats these days?

I am asking because I have heard that Zodiac moved their production from France to China last year. One of the changes, at least to the smaller boats, was apparently a shift from welded seams to glued seams.

Do Bombard and Zodiac still have the same owner?

The brand name may be the same but the quality of the product may be very different.
Barnet said that it wasn't China yesterday but wasn't sure where though
Old 23 March 2016, 11:22   #52

Hi Sean..I sent you a PM.. I will tell all on my boat choice ..once I get a look at it.. it shouldn't be long arriving .. I hope
Old 23 March 2016, 11:28   #53

Like others Gurnard I very much look forward to the reveal in due course!
Old 23 March 2016, 11:29   #54

RIBase
Quote:
Dont worry Jeff ..all will be told soon.. its not to replace my Quicksilver 4.3 HD though..it is my rough weather ..exposed sea crossing boat..and that will never get replaced.

Im sure you will find my new purchase interesting though.. I have not seen a report on my particular new model here ..yet
to be honest when i saw your post and thinking about your last trip that you might have bought one of those paddling sibs i cant think of the name of them but would do nicely having a paddle with the kayaks close in, very interested to see what you have bought though.

cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 11:48   #55

>>>>...heard that Zodiac moved production to China last year. One of the changes, at least to the smaller boats, was apparently a shift from welded seams to glued seams... Do Bombard and Zodiac still have the same owner... The brand name may be the same but the quality of the product may be very different. <<<<

Arctic that's an interesting comment.... and something I'd wondered about.

Last year when Zodiac were in trouble and around the time the new owner took over I wrote that they needed to restructure their whole business due to influences from the Chinese made boats.

To take Honwave as an example... for all pratical purposes and for UK use they are at least as well made as Zodiacs of the past few years... and in some areas they have more thoughtful and stronger design features. So apart from a historical reputation of the Zodiac name there was no good reason to pay more for them... but the Zodiac models sat at a substantially elevated price point to Honwaves.

The Aerotec is a bit of an oddity that sits outside the normal Zodiac models (yes Zodiac/Bombard are the same company). No-one has exactly copied the concept so if it is the pertfect boat for you then there is no exact Chinese alternative... similar yes but not exact.

If you really want one then each person has to make their own judgement where they buy on the depreciation curve related to age.

For my part I'm very pleased we went to a lot of trouble to buy probably the last UK stock Aerotec of the pre Zodiac buyout models (ours late 2014 built). As reported previously it did need a dimensional issue with the HP floor resolved under warranty but the actual boat was damage and fault free.
Old 23 March 2016, 11:55   #56

RIBase
sean
check out takacat distributed by hypro marine in the uk they do a sport & light series both roll up one's a catamaran 10hp max one's an inflatable slightly tunneled hulled which they do in 3.8m 20hp max videos tech info and prices.

cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 12:04   #57

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
Unfortunately maybe... when I was buying my Honwave I had a few quality concerns which were put right without fuss or (much) inconvenience... but, what the sales rep said was that if a boat was not manufactured correctly he was required to cut a big chunk out of the boat tubes to make it unsaleable, return this cut-out piece to Honda and then the reseller would get their refund from Honda.

I'd hate to think poor quality boats were being shifted around (not saying they are though)
Old 23 March 2016, 12:06   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If you really want one then each person has to make their own judgement where they buy on the depreciation curve related to age.

Agreed..and also our age too.. can come into the equation Fenlander.

If we are lucky .. there comes a time in life when skimping and saving can taks a back seat to our main interests. I had no problem spending a small arm and leg on my brand new boat..for the same reasons you had no problem buying new.

It will be nice knowing no one has used it before..it will have that showroom smell and look too. Cant take my money with me when I depart on my last adventure..so it is nice spending some on ourselves

I can fully understand why Sean returned his aerotecs.. they had issues that should not be on new boats..especially premium build ones ..and if my new purchase is inferior quality from expected..I too will do the same
Old 23 March 2016, 12:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
sean
check out takacat distributed by hypro marine in the uk they do a sport & light series both roll up one's a catamaran 10hp max one's an inflatable slightly tunneled hulled which they do in 3.8m 20hp max videos tech info and prices.

cheers
I've looked at these over the last few days actually (since thinking I wont be able to buy a new aerotec as have lost faith a bit). Think they look pretty cool but if remembering correctly they only take a couple of passengers (nice to have the option to take out say 4 at least). I also already have a 25hp 2stroke that I'm keen to keep (replaced quite a few parts already and know it's reliable) so had to rule these out. They do a boat that takes a 25hp but its rigid hulled.
Old 23 March 2016, 12:49   #60

RIBase
dont get disheartened mate because one supplier tried it on with a shop soiled boat their not all the same.when i bought mine it was strait from the factory sealed up its not perfect material wise but having been round boats a long time mine are acceptable to me a little crease & and a small raised crease [extra coating] in two areas.the thing is with zodiac will it ever be the same quality wise, time will tell hope you get sorted.

cheers