Old 12 March 2016, 15:38   #21

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Also I think I've said before there were no Aerotecs built for about 12mths up to Sept 2015 while they were waiting for a rescue buyer. I just wonder if they had part built ones or a stores of old materials they've started off with when the factory restarted??

I'm sure Pennine Marine will play fair over a refund.
He's seemed ok in fairness, though perhaps a little fed up with it.

I did speak to another dealer who said that the boat shouldn't have any marks/defects and that if I bought one from him there wont be
Old 12 March 2016, 15:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
So not brand new, ex display at best. It's possible that it's used, the handles are stuck back on as they were damaged?

Looking at the Bombard website they are clearly stuck on without patches.

If you've paid for new, then return and except nothing but. If you had a massive discount for an ex display / demonstrator then maybe except it.

But hole are never good.............
With regards to discounts, I paid £2180 delivered, most places quoted £2300 delivered, in my opinion not enough of a discount to except it damaged.
Old 12 March 2016, 15:42   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh OK re valves... they are the current type so together with the 16 serial number seems it is a new boat... perhaps they went back to that blue stripe bump strip... or had some left in the stores from a few years back.

Gutting to get two in a row like that... mind you that's exactly what happened with my two faulty Fastrollers in a row a few years back. They were from Pennine Marine and came new boxed from Zodiac so no fault of the dealer... they exchanged the first then refunded the second very promptly with no question.
Old 12 March 2016, 15:44   #24

>>> not enough of a discount to except it damaged.

Agreed... for me new is perfect as best discount possible and ex-demo is usually as-new at a better discount.. or can be accepted when no new boat available.

Small blemishes OK in a £1000 boat and weird patches only really OK at £500.

So what next... not another Aerotec surely!
Old 12 March 2016, 17:26   #25

Quote:
>>> not enough of a discount to except it damaged.

Agreed... for me new is perfect as best discount possible and ex-demo is usually as-new at a better discount.. or can be accepted when no new boat available.

Small blemishes OK in a £1000 boat and weird patches only really OK at £500.

So what next... not another Aerotec surely!
Really don't know, theres a part of me thinking try one more aerotec, get it straight from Bombard (eg don't buy one that someone has sitting there, expect to wait a couple of weeks) and hope that it comes perfect. Though reading some of the comments here I think that I'd be a little nervous that I'll end up with a duff one anyway.

Maybe I'll look for a good used one (this was my original thoughts) but they seem impossible to find as we discussed before. Maybe I'll look at a new honwave or something similar. It was really an aerotec that I wanted though, fitted my purpose perfectly from what I've heard. Not sure that there are many boats with an airfloor that take a 25hp and think I'll always wish I had the aerotec (love the sound of the way handle chop and race around).

I do still have my old boat for now, though I need to glue some bits (not a job I'm looking forward to). As I mentioned before the baffles have blown so I'd never be comfortable taking my son on it or at least not very far from shore (he's only 9 months now so I probably have a while before that becomes an issue). The alifloor is a bit of a pain but may not find it quite such a chore as I've now bought the battery powered bravo. Maybe I should even look for a good used one of these.

One way or another a new sib is required at somepoint in the not to distant future and really wanted one sooner rather than later
Old 12 March 2016, 17:34   #26

And thanks to everyone that has replied, really appreciate the input.

Wish I'd come on the forum before I bought the first boat used a couple of years back. Not that I really regret that purchase because although it's not an ideal boat it's been a lesson and allowed me to try sibbing before deciding I like it. It probably wasn't that bad value either, already sold the trailer, have some accessories to sell (steering gear, windscreen, zodiac inflatable seats) and the boat has to be worth something even if I advertise it with blown baffles etc (someone may use it the way I did to get an idea if they like sibbing or not) and I'll still be left with the outboard which after having spent a bit on it has been very reliable and a keeper.
Old 12 March 2016, 17:53   #27

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
if you really want an Aerotec why not arrange to buy and collect it in person?

That way you can inspect prior to purchase, the seller also has to stand there and tell why the new boat is only newish if you find similar issues.

Even if it involves a long drive, I suspect it would be a much more pleasant affair than your recent experience.
Old 12 March 2016, 17:59   #28

If you still want another Aerotec then that's what I'd wait for. As far as I was aware dealers weren't holding lot of stock so should be getting them in "fresh" just with the possibility of them being on inside showroom display which shouldn't leave a mark really.

How about buying from a dealer nearer to you and agreeing even if brand new from the factory they inflate so you can inspect on collection/purchase.

Edit: Ahh ditto Iron Dials!
Old 12 March 2016, 18:32   #29

Of course if you want to limit your liability to loss if you buy and want to sell on get a Honwave 3.8ie air floor. They are half the price of an Aerotec and if you thought after a few uses I still want an Aerotec you could take a more relaxed approach to looking for a used one while having the Honwave to use. Then when the Aerotec was found and you'd proved it was exactly what you wanted selling a mint under year old Honwave would lose very little money.
Old 12 March 2016, 18:47   #30

Quote:
Of course if you want to limit your liability to loss if you buy and want to sell on get a Honwave 3.8ie air floor. They are half the price of an Aerotec and if you thought after a few uses I still want an Aerotec you could take a more relaxed approach to looking for a used one while having the Honwave to use. Then when the Aerotec was found and you'd proved it was exactly what you wanted selling a mint under year old Honwave would lose very little money.
I'm sure I'd be happy with a decent aerotec anyway, can't see how I wouldn't be. I maybe happy with a honwave (haven't tried either) but expect that I'd always wonder whether an aerotec would handle better and that I should have paid the extra (don't know how much difference there really is out at sea with them but from what I read on here, quite a bit). I noticed on Bombards website that there is a local dealer today, I had just googled to find dealers before. Whether they'd be similarly priced is the question, I'd be happy to pay £2300 (I've been offered this price by a couple of dealers) but some had said that there is no profit in selling for this and they wanted £2500, £2600 or even £2700+. All the dealers that had offered them for £2300 were a long, long drive away, would be even more frustrated if I'd driven all day, spent £100 on fuel to come back empty handed as it was another "new" boat with a hole in it !

Waiting for a good used Aerotec - maybe that is the answer and as I mentioned, with a bit of gluing, can still use my old boat for some fun in the meantime. Problem with this is that all I ever seen is 10-15 year old boats for £1200ish and I'd rather pay the extra for a new one. Second hand it would either have to be a lot newer for that money or a lot cheaper for that age ! As we discussed before newer used ones just dont seem to come up.

Curious, can I ask how much you sold your old one for ?
Old 12 March 2016, 18:57   #31

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post

Curious, can I ask how much you sold your old one for ?
Don't mind me if you want to answer that Fenlander, I have no plans to sell it so makes no odds.

Sean if you want to try one my offer stands (may have been by pm)
Old 12 March 2016, 19:04   #32

Neil up to you to say here or on PM... I've no problem but it's your boat now so your call... and if you could make it Sean that's a hell of an offer from Neil... it really would cement your mind if you want to hold out for one.
Old 12 March 2016, 19:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Don't mind me if you want to answer that Fenlander, I have no plans to sell it so makes no odds.

Sean if you want to try one my offer stands (may have been by pm)
Hi Neil, always happy to meet a local sibber, meant to respond but decided to just go buy anyway. I have no doubt I'll like the Aerotec at all, just need to find a decent one worth the price, either new or old.
Old 12 March 2016, 19:12   #34

Quote:
Neil up to you to say here or on PM... I've no problem but it's your boat now so your call... and if you could make it Sean that's a hell of an offer from Neil... it really would cement your mind if you want to hold out for one.
As I said I'd be happy to meet a local sibber (sure Enfield isn't far away) and you're right it is a very generous offer. I'm not sure how much it would help me work out the difference between an Aerotec and say a Honwave as have never tried the Honwave either. Sure I'd have plenty of fun going out in the Aerotec anyway though
Old 23 March 2016, 07:06   #35

Finally got a refund yesterday, now just need to decide whether to try one more bombard :-)
Old 23 March 2016, 08:03   #36

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Sean

before i bought my mercury last year i was after a bombard c4 i contacted barnet marine in London & Ron hale marine Portsmouth neither had any stock due to the take over of Zodiac. barnet marine are the biggest out of the two speak to Laurence he will probably have one in new now, or at least order straight form bombard.
not read all this so apologies if all ready been suggested.

cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 09:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Sean

before i bought my mercury last year i was after a bombard c4 i contacted barnet marine in London & Ron hale marine Portsmouth neither had any stock due to the take over of Zodiac. barnet marine are the biggest out of the two speak to Laurence he will probably have one in new now, or at least order straight form bombard.
not read all this so apologies if all ready been suggested.

cheers
Spoke to Laurence at Barnet yesterday, he seemed very knowledgeable. Only reason I haven't ordered is he can give me no info on current spec, what changes if any (sounds like nobody can, including Bombard). He also said that these boats do sometimes come with odd marks etc and I'd just have to live with it if I got one like this, feel a little uneasy after the two I've already ordered. Might order one with a deposit and inspect and pick up, it's a reasonable distance though.
Old 23 March 2016, 09:35   #38

>>> no info on current spec, what changes if any (sounds like nobody can, including Bombard). He also said that these boats do sometimes come with odd marks etc and I'd just have to live with it

However much I like my Aerotec and would encourage others in the market for such a SIB to conside one this situation with them is total rubbish.

For example when mine arrived new last year it was one of the first I'd seen with stubby cones. It's no big deal but I'm honest enough to agree with anyone who says the old longer cones look better... thing is though most of the dealers are still using website images of the longer cones. Then there's the fact with the stubby cones it's not a 3.80m any more... it's 3.65m... but they still give the length as 3.8m.

And as for saying you should expect a few marks and live with it... sorry Barnet Marine but at £2300... some £1300 more than a Honwave 380 air floor I would expect perfect. At least Pennine marine ordered you a replacement then gave a full refund on that replacement because they weren't perfect.

I have a good contact at the dealer who dealt with my purchase last year and out of interest I've just phoned them... they don't have one in stock but say they would not expect a customer to get one less than spot on.
Old 23 March 2016, 09:39   #39

Quote:
>>> no info on current spec, what changes if any (sounds like nobody can, including Bombard). He also said that these boats do sometimes come with odd marks etc and I'd just have to live with it

However much I like my Aerotec and would encourage others in the market for such a SIB to conside one this situation with them is total rubbish.

For example when mine arrived new last year it was one of the first I'd seen with stubby cones. It's no big deal but I'm honest enough to agree with anyone who says the old longer cones look better... thing is though most of the dealers are still using website images of the longer cones. Then there's the fact with the stubby cones it's not a 3.80m any more... it's 3.65m... but they still give the length as 3.8m.

And as for saying you should expect a few marks and live with it... sorry Barnet Marine but at £2300... some £1300 more than a Honwave 380AE I would expect perfect. At least Pennine marine ordered you a replacement then gave a full refund on that replacement because they weren't perfect.

I have a good contact at the dealer who dealt with my purchase last year and out of interest I've just phoned them... they don't have one in stock but say they would not expect a customer to get one less than spot on.
Think you've mentioned that dealer in another post, can't remember their name off the top of my head (it'll come to me later) and have spoken to them (they sound very good) but they sell their Aerotecs for quite a bit over £2300
Old 23 March 2016, 09:43   #40

What Chas Newens? How much do they want for one this year?