Old 05 May 2023, 13:29   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Ardmucknish Bay / Oban Area

We are off to Benderloch early July for a couple of weeks and I'm starting to plan a few trips that I would like to do within the constraints of a wife who sets a maximum time in Redneck of 3 hours.

One trip I fancy doing, is :- Benderloch, around the West of Kerrera, down past Easdale, between Luing/Cuan, upto Clachan bridge (stop off for lunch/drink), back up the East side of Kerrera, back to Benderloch.

Questions arising are:-
Cruising at 12 knots, is that doable?
How long before/after high tide can you navigate through/under Clachan bridge?
Does Kerrera /Oban marina have a visitors pontoon to stop off for a drink /stretch of legs?

Any other ideas for trips (within the 3 hour constraint) with pub/cafe/stretch of leg stop will be gratefully received

Thanks, Steve
Old 05 May 2023, 16:24   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again Steve

You will find its around 40 miles so you can do your own maths for your time and speed and whether you want to stop for a break on Kerrera.

I would only recommend it in reasonable weather unless you dont mind rough waters as there are fairly severe overfalls off the south west tip of Kerrera when windy.

Going through the channel obviously depends on neep or springs..but you cant get through around half tide or less springs..even less at neeps..so time for HW only as its a long way back if you find it too shallow

A trip to Appin Hotel is worthy of an outing but book before going as its very popular and right beside the harbour ..about 20 miles return

A trip into Loch Crearan and stop at Creggan Hotel is also a good eating place ..but again book. about 30 miles return

If sea is calm..through Lismore tide race and up Sound of Mull.. Take away cafe at Loch Aline pier ..about 30 miles return

Oban has visitor pontoons and plenty places to eat.. I never go to Kerrera marina so cant answer that one

That should give you a rough idea to make plans
Old 05 May 2023, 19:02   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi again Steve

You will find its around 40 miles so you can do your own maths for your time and speed and whether you want to stop for a break on Kerrera.

I would only recommend it in reasonable weather unless you dont mind rough waters as there are fairly severe overfalls off the south west tip of Kerrera when windy.
Thanks Donny, brilliant info.

Would it be better to go there and back through the Sound of Kerrera if the weather isn't that favourable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
If sea is calm..through Lismore tide race and up Sound of Mull.. Take away cafe at Loch Aline pier ..about 30 miles return
If on the return the sea state changes would I miss most of the tide race if I went south of Lady's Rock?

I took a look on Google maps at Ballachulish Marina and it appears to have changed a lot since I was there last, but I suppose 20 years is a long time! Is it still possible to launch there? Am I right in thinking the overfalls aren't to bad a couple of hours either side of high tide and that the Ballachulish side is the easiest to pass under the bridge?