Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 29 May 2016, 16:31   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
appledore to lundy and back again in the aerotec!

Just got back from Lundy, 45 miles total. My aches ache! What an amazing trip though, will post some pics later.

Simon
Old 29 May 2016, 17:21   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Nice! Hoping to get across to Devon tomorrow myself
Old 29 May 2016, 17:38   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think that's exceeded my max daily trip by a good margin... excellent... awaiting pics pics pics!
Old 29 May 2016, 19:57   #4

I wanted to make a reasonably early start, high tide was at midday so I figured that if I left at about 9.30, got across in two hours, saw the sights then set of back again I'd still have some water across the bar.

Unfortunately the engine absolutely refused to start. I tried everything. In the end I called a local outboard mechanic Duncan who very kindly popped down to the slipway.What I hadn't spotted was a small rod connecting the primer/idle knob to the carb had come off. 10mins later the engine was up and running nicely.

I have a new vhf setup thanks to PikeyDave with a large fibreglass antenna. I didn't want to risk using a small handheld VHF so far offshore. The reception on the new setup is excellent but the long antenna was a mistake, it whips around like crazy in the chop!

At Appledore

The slipway at Appledore was packed and so I was glad to get away. The bar was a little choppy so I had to slow right down to radio milford haven to inform them of my journey plans. Slight problem with VHF on a Sib, I can't hear it when the engine's above half throttle! Headsets?

Leaving the bar behind. Very hazy day, wasn't long before I couldn't see land behind or ahead of me.

The crossing proved to be 22.5 miles each way. After a bit of chop, the sea became glassier and glassier.

Losing sight of land

Slowly Lundy appeared out of the haze. The closer I got, the glassier the sea

I didn't see any dolphins or seals unfortunately, but there were a lot of seabirds about.

The anchorage at Lundy is stunning, especially on a calm day like today. There were quite a few boats moored up in the bay and I had counted on needing to swim ashore, but as it happens there is a very steep slipway which I just managed to drag the aerotec up.

Anchorage

I have been to Lundy before on a stag weekend where we stayed 24/7 in the Marisco Tavern, so I climbed up the track for half an hour to see if I could find someone to take a photo of me in front of the pub. It was very tempting to stay for a pint but given the length of the return journey I thought better of it!

After another trek down to the boat, I did a re-fuel. I had a full main 25litre tank and another 15 litres in jerrycans for the trip. I could only fit 9 and a bit litres back in the main tank, so unless I've missed a trick that means I did 22miles from Appledore to Lundy on.. 9.5 litres? Seems pretty good to me! I guess 1 up it really wasn't above half throttle very often.

The return trip was fast, perfect sea states. On the way out I stuck to 15mph but on the way back it was 18mph all the way. Just made it back in at 4.30 with very little water left on the approach to Appledore.

22.5miles each way, departed appledore Midday, returned to Appledore 16.30, approx 20litres fuel used. Not bad!

Conclusion: It's very do-able but you need perfect weather. Even so I am pretty battered now. VHF essential, the mobile signal disappears without warning. Lash every single thing down! Don't do a long trip if you've got a bad back, otherwise you won't be walking for a few days! Suncream, lots of water, food and take lots of fuel. And prepare yourself for the point at which you lose sight of land in all directions. Could easily panic some in a small boat like these.

Simon
Old 30 May 2016, 07:44   #5

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
This is a very exciting trip, I am very impressed and it has got me wanting to do something like this after my Isle of Wight trip!
Old 30 May 2016, 07:46   #6

What was the force rating on the Beaufort scale and did you get spray on you from the front of the boat, as I did?
Old 30 May 2016, 07:49   #7

It's the first time I have seen a fixed 25W radio on an Aerotec, well done. I only have a handheld and for a trip like this, as you say, you need the range.
Old 30 May 2016, 08:41   #8

Town: Oop North
Well done, you're a braver man than me, I like to keep the land in sight. Good report and photos.☺
Old 30 May 2016, 15:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
What was the force rating on the Beaufort scale and did you get spray on you from the front of the boat, as I did?
I think the wind speed was under 10mph. I've never had any spray over the front of mine but everything was caked with salt when i got home.

i wouldnt attempt this journey without less than 10mph wind, no more than a couple of foot of swell. check weather forecasts from multiple sources and check surf forcasts too.
Old 30 May 2016, 16:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Well done, you're a braver man than me, I like to keep the land in sight. Good report and photos.☺
I found myself watching the gps and chart a lot during the 20mins without sight of land! Head down, keep the throttle up and don't think about the situation if I can help it! On a clear day the coasts would have been in plain view though.

I stopped and chatted with a group on lundy returning tontheir 8m rib. I showed them my boat, for a minute i think they thought it was my tender and i had a bigger boat moored out in the bay!
Old 30 May 2016, 16:42   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A real mission that Simon. I've been out of sight of land many times but always in something with beds, cooking, room to walk about etc.... and other folks to chew over any isue that arose. It must concentrate the mind single handed in a 4m craft. Great pics.... well done.
Old 30 May 2016, 19:30   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Mega well done for that. Wanted to do the scillies in a 320 seago but never got the right weather window
Old 30 May 2016, 19:59   #13

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Just done port talbot to ilfracombe myself (not solo) and with people who do it every time the weather window is right (they have done Lundy on the way back a couple of times......)

But even so we took a few bum steers so had to break out the gps..... I wouldn't have done it solo I don't think

So where next?
Old 30 May 2016, 20:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Mega well done for that. Wanted to do the scillies in a 320 seago but never got the right weather window
Matt, when i saw you write 'scillies', my immediate thought was no way! But its (only) 2 miles further than the Lundy crossing. I assume its even more exposed than the Lundy crossing though.

If anyones available at very short notice then it would be good to pair up with another sib to do the lundy crossing again. Its a shame that saturday was foggy as the original plan was to camp overnight and return yesterday. Any takers for another crossing this summer, send me your contact details and i will let you know when i spot another weather window. It won't be a definite until 12 hours beforehand though, and even then it could be scuppered by fog. And Lundy require 24 hours notice for camping so be prepared to lose the deposit.

I do wonder if I was pushing things too far and where one should draw the line. I guess if I thought there was more than a fair chance of requiring emergency assistance due to the size of the boat and nothing else then that's the line right there.

Simon
Old 30 May 2016, 20:41   #15

Town: bideford
Hi, I would be up for a trip to lundy.
I have just brought myself a sr4 and am keen to adventure.
give us a shout if and when you go next time
Old 30 May 2016, 21:07   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwosheds View Post
Hi, I would be up for a trip to lundy.
I have just brought myself a sr4 and am keen to adventure.
give us a shout if and when you go next time
will do, have you got vhf?
Old 31 May 2016, 05:38   #17

Town: bideford
yes will have to get someone t look at it first do you know anyone?
Old 31 May 2016, 09:31   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Looks like a nice run over!....Well done fella

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 09:37   #19

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Great trip Simon. Cannot remember if you have the 15 or 25 but that fuel use sounds excellent.
Old 31 May 2016, 09:45   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Looks like a nice run over!....Well done fella
I would say The Scillies would be upping the Anti quite considerably!....not impossible but things would need to be perfect...it can be quite lumpy (even in calm conditions) rounding Landsend (I wouldn't try it from the North Coast)...and you'd want plenty of 'Back up!'..also an open ended departure date would be a big pluss...that or a return ticket on the Scillonian

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote