Old 11 July 2012, 04:51   #51
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
If you want one I can buy one for you and it can be dropped off in New York next Monday You just need to arrange onward shipping to Canada

Old 11 July 2012, 08:53   #52

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Big or small rib/sib, the usage pretty much dictates what anchor to use. If You only want something that keeps to boat in palace during good weather fishing or a supervised coffee break, a grapnel would be fine. They are particular strong at two things, price and storage.
As anchors grapnels are IMHO the most unreliable type. Can't recall having problems with the mechanism(but i don't consider it safe) however they let go pretty easily and would never do some serious anchoring with one. Danforth or Bruce type have been working well for me, in combination with long chain and sinking anchor line. I am not sure if cheap replicas works as well as the originals, might be some difference in performance?

Despite a long chain, You need to have a good anchor, its very easy to test, try to anchor with only the chain and rope, not much resistance there. But a long chain still reduces the load on the anchor by keeping the angel of the load in more favourable direction and taking some of the load also.

Drift anchors are cheap, light and easy to store so that is something would take along also on a smaller boat in addition to the hard anchor.

Old 11 July 2012, 22:27   #53

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
If you want one I can buy one for you and it can be dropped off in New York next Monday You just need to arrange onward shipping to Canada
Thanks for the offer SR! I have to hold off for the time being, but am interested to hear how it does.

Another interesting anchor I just came across is this:

Boat anchors for yachts, jet skis, inflatables, fishing, diving, cruising, sailing, or tinnys and Kayaks boats - Cooper Anchors
Old 12 July 2012, 01:34   #54

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Why try and reinvent the wheel? Get a Danforth (or solid copy), or a Bruce 9or, again, a solid copy), and you're done.

jky
Old 23 July 2012, 01:20   #55

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Afew years ago, Morris Marinas were very popular as anchors, unfortunately, they only lasted a season before rusting away from the chain completely.

Just joking , I have used the folding grapel type in the lakes for years and never had any holding problems.

In our lakes, we have a major problem with lake weed, Great for fish but a pain for boaties. I found the simplest anchor for the weed beds was a plastic milk bottle filled with sand, tied to a length of light rope. Does the job but wouldn't be silly enough to rely on it in a current or tide.
Old 23 July 2012, 07:27   #56

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
this is good

Anchor Selection Guide: Choosing an Anchor Type

I have a danforth and not had any problems its light and fits nicely into my anchor box.
I haev also used grapples and as long as you lock the ring in place I have nevefr had any issues with them , Appart from recovery in rocky bottoms. But thats the same for all anchors.

20 years of using my danforth without issues :-)
simple light and east to store. 3m of chain onto 18mm box braded rope. gives when under strain but very very strong, doesnt tangle up easily infact its almost anti tangle. :-)
just comes straight out of the box over the side.

nice easy way to stop your boats bow getting pulled under during rought seas when moored is to attach the anchor to the painter.
I pop a bowlin in the painter and a quick release not to that using the anchor line. SIMPLE.
boat rides over the waves and does not get pulled down like they do it you put the anchor line directly over the Bow.
Old 24 July 2012, 16:54   #57

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 30hp yamaha
I used a grapnel for a while. It was alright, but dragged in any real current, no matter how carefully I set the thing. Now, the Bruce, that's a real mans anchor. bit more awkward to store, but welds itself to the sea floor a treat. So it's a trade off, convenience vs holding power. If you are going to be sat in a sheltered bay on nice days fishing then a grapnel is probably fine and a lot easier to store in a boat the OPs size. If you intend on more adventurous anchoring (I doubt you do!), get something that presents a greater surface area to the seabed and use plenty of chain.
Old 10 August 2012, 21:25   #58

Town: Riverheads
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Cooper Anchors
Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrobinson View Post
Hey what sort and size anchor would be suitable for a 3m Avon rib? any advice would be great! Thanks
Hi Sebrobinson good news
The Cooper Nylon Anchor is now avalable direct from their only offical UK/International Web Site about $49 AD including postage in UK, USA and AUS.
The Cooper Nylon Anchor Home - Cooper Anchors International Site
Old 12 August 2012, 18:20   #59

Town: Riverheads
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Cooper Anchors
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Thanks for the offer SR! I have to hold off for the time being, but am interested to hear how it does.

Another interesting anchor I just came across is this:

Boat anchors for yachts, jet skis, inflatables, fishing, diving, cruising, sailing, or tinnys and Kayaks boats - Cooper Anchors
Hi Prairie Tuber

That site is our Aus site.
Our only official international site is www.cooperanchors.com Our Nylon Anchors are now where housed in UK & USA. and for the moment we are selling direct to keep the price as low as possible.

Cheers Larry
Old 29 December 2012, 16:10   #60

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I really like the look of the Cooper Anchor. Anyone have any experience on one on an airfloor sib approx 3.6m long, (ie just past recommended boat length of 3.5m) on southern UK waters, bays and rivers?

I don't care that it reinvents the wheel. Many a modern material has been used to better traditional materials and I don't see why anchors should not benefit in the same way.

Whilst I'm on subject, recommended length/size of chain and rope would be useful to know if someone could assist. Its a 3.6m sib in inshore/river waters, not the titanic. I think the Arun harbour entrance is about 1.4m with 5.5m tidal range so I guess I need nearly 50m which sounds a lot to me.