Click Here to Login

Old 17 March 2009, 13:43   #1

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
AMI Advanced Cat 340 Vs. Zodiac Fastroller 340 FR Acti-v

I am considering switching out my Quicksilver 340S (converted to air deck) for something with a bit more performance. I intend to keep the 15hp Johnson OB in current use. I am specifically looking at top speed and forward speed with chop or decent waves (1-3ft.). Which of these two boats (AMI Advanced Cat and Zodiac Zodiac Fastroller 340 FR Acti-v or similar hi-pressure inflatable V floor) is faster in flat water? In chop? In theory which should be the Cat or the deep V style. They seem to be in the same price range (unfortunately). If anyone would also like to list any reasonable alternatives in each style that would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a specific budget, per se. But in this economy cheaper is better (assuming the same quality of course

Whilst i'm at which of these two boats should be more durable with regard to beaching and resistance to puncture.? What I am looking for is a near shore fast fishing boat that I don't have to patch all the time and which can get me from one spot to another fast or better yet home fast, if the weather kicks up. i mostly fish the bay (Jamaica Bay in New York City), but it would be nice to be able to poke my head out, if the weather is appropriate, without having to fear not being able to get back home if the ocean picks up quick, as it sometimes does in the bight.
Old 18 March 2009, 00:24   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Are you going with an inflatable floor or floor boards (I'd highly recomommend floorboards - far more rugged and versatile)? Both boats are made from PVC fabric - probably of similar thickness - you may wish to double check on that. The plywood transom of the AMI is encased in fiberglass whereas the zodiac transom is not. The cat hull of the AMI will far outperform the fast roller hull in both calm water and in the chop. The cat hull will give a much smoother ride in the chop.

If both are in the same price range, and the PVC fabric is of the same thickness, the AMI would be a much better value. Again, I can't stress this enough, opt for floorboards rather than an inflatable floor!
Old 18 March 2009, 01:24   #3

Was kinda hoping not to hear the floorboard comment. I liked the solidity of the floorboards on the Quicksilver, plus there was an extra inch or two of depth in the boat but setting them up got old REAL fast. I live in the city (my boat is moored in the living room closet!!!! Lol.). I thought the catamaran style might be the better of the two but the implies ease of setting up the Zodiac, nothing to remove, etc. Anyone have an idea of the top speed I could hope to achieve one up, with a Johnson 15hp two-stroke??
Old 18 March 2009, 04:47   #4

AMI offers an inflatable floor option, it's just that I have an intense dislike of the feel and lack of versatility of inflatable floors. Having said that, a cat hulled SIB with an inflatable floor is still going to way outperform a zodiac fastroller.
Old 18 March 2009, 11:59   #5

That is reassuring. I might opt to "waste" some more money and if I go with the AMI I might get the hard floor version and buy an additrional airdeck to switch out. I KNOW I will use the boat more, the easier it is to use/ assemble.

Anyone out there with an AMI have an idea on the speed with a 15 two stroke. If the difference is only a knot or two it may not be worth the "upgrade" but for 4 or more it makes more sense, especially when that is coupled to greater sea-worthiness!
Old 19 March 2009, 10:44   #6

Length: under 3m
I still dont have my first SIB yet, but im wondering why everyone talks about how much of a pain it is to set up the floor? Dont you just lay down the pieices? What about a slatted floor?
Old 19 March 2009, 14:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasveld View Post
I still dont have my first SIB yet, but im wondering why everyone talks about how much of a pain it is to set up the floor? Dont you just lay down the pieices? What about a slatted floor?
On my smaller 11' zodiac SIB it was very easy & a non-issue. On the 14' foot zodiac, it was a bit more work. The trick was to make sure that you were either on table top-flat ground or to put the oars/paddles between the boat and ground so you had a flat rigid surface to push the floorboards against.

With my 16' inflatable (& 3/4" marine plywood floorboards that weigh about 50 lbs each) it is alot of work - something you only want to do once or twice per season. With this boat a trailer is a must.
Old 20 March 2009, 00:51   #8

Length: under 3m
How about a boat with slatted wood floors they normally roll up with the boat dont they?

Are they really flimsy when you are standing on them in water or are they not bad?
Old 20 March 2009, 03:00   #9

vlasfeld,

It isn't the most horrible thing in the world to put together the floor but it is a pain in the arse, without a doubt. It was enough to put me off using the boat as much as I'd like. If nothing else I think most will agree it is certainly more work than attaching a pump, hitting a switch, and waiting for everything to get all solid. That's what I love about the airdeck models. I am actually setting up other things (like the transom wheels, etc) while the boat is inflating.
Old 21 March 2009, 15:10   #10

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
My 3.4 m QS has recorded a top speed of 21 mph with a Mariner 15hp 2s engine. I find the inflatable floor very comfortable to sit on but I have never tried one with a wooden floor.

Keith Hart
Old 22 March 2009, 02:40   #11

Keith Hart, that's funny. My Quicksilver, a converted hard floor to airdeck, is the exact same top speed (GPS'd by a Hummingbird fishfinder/gps unit). Talk about consistent. I weight about 235/240 and I have a different motor (Johnson 15 2 stroke) and mine is converted and yet we get the same top speed. Perhaps the hull design really is the limiting factor for top speed.
Old 24 March 2009, 15:20   #12

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 30
Video of AMI cat in operation

Here is the website with video of an AMI cat. Maybe help you get a feel for performance.

http://www.maddogextreme.com/model/Advance_Cat.htm

I believe the site is the retail arm for AMI
Old 26 March 2009, 02:21   #13

How fast do you think he's going in the advanced (not sportcat) video? Is that the 330 size? The performance looks good to me but it is hard to tell without a reference (although i have to admit it does look a bit faster than my quicksilver).
Old 26 March 2009, 13:52   #14

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 30
Call AMI and ask them. I think they are a pretty small operation. I callled a while back and they were very nice. I've been looking at the AMI for a while since they are one of the few cat options availablei n the states. Also available through West Marine. I'm not ready to pony up the price-especially in this economy.