Old 14 October 2011, 17:48   #1

Length: under 3m
Am I allowed to use my inflatable boat?

Hi

I have just purchased a Waveco 2.6m inflatable boat and was hoping to take it down to West Kirby Marine lake to test it out and get a general feel for it, however I remember seeing the signs on the lake that stated that no inflatables were allowed.

I understand about kids on lilos and small unsafe dinghys but would I be refused entrance to the lake due my boat being an inflatable. The boat has a solid transform and a slatted floor and is very thick and sturdy, also would the same rules apply on beaches that have a no inflatable rule?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 14 October 2011, 19:03   #2

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude E Tec 25hp
West Kirby Marine Lake

Hi

I live on the Wirral not far from West Kirby. I assume you have an outboard for your boat, if so no powered vessels allowed on the lake.

If you want to pabble it they may let you on , will charge about £8 for the privalage and ask for 3rd party liability insurance.

I bought my Honwave a 3 weeks ago and have had the same issue, no local non tidal places to launch.

I have used Dove Point in Meols, in season you need a permit, which is a minimum RYA powerboat 2 and insurance. No one checking now until March.
Old 14 October 2011, 19:27   #3

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynw View Post
Hi

I live on the Wirral not far from West Kirby. I assume you have an outboard for your boat, if so no powered vessels allowed on the lake.

If you want to pabble it they may let you on , will charge about £8 for the privalage and ask for 3rd party liability insurance.

I bought my Honwave a 3 weeks ago and have had the same issue, no local non tidal places to launch.

I have used Dove Point in Meols, in season you need a permit, which is a minimum RYA powerboat 2 and insurance. No one checking now until March.
I live on the wirral as well, and I agree if you ask them nicely at the lake they may let you on , and again with Hoylake Prom/dove piont, If you need any more info check the local gov web site , they sub out the permit issue to Safe Water Training down at NewBrighton.
Old 14 October 2011, 19:40   #4

Thanks for the information guys, I will probably pop down next week and speak to them in person. Cheers
Old 14 October 2011, 23:02   #5

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_tank View Post
Thanks for the information guys, I will probably pop down next week and speak to them in person. Cheers
Just a thought,I know that some folk with small craft go on the Dee just above Chester,again this is done on the Q,T,. As you need a permit there as well
Old 27 October 2011, 07:26   #6

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I've been on the River Dee at Chester, it's a nice place, you need a day pass which costs £20.
There's the usual 5mph speed limit.