Old 24 September 2013, 12:22   #1

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
All set up and nowhere to go.

After a decent few days fishing with my mate Ballast, with plenty of Cod to about 6lb plus Mackerel, Whiting and a Gurnard, I decided to head out once again, this time on my own (Ballast being grounded by his Mrs for fishing on their Wedding Anniversary, he's 70 by the way).
This high pressure has been keeping the North sea nice and flat and with light winds, perfect for me. But it isn't going to last.
Visibility this morning was about a mile, so I thought I'd give the Bass and Pollock a go on light tackle over a Reef a couple of hundred yards off shore. After loading up and dragging the boat down to the beach, I launched and was over the mark in minutes. Because I wasn't going far or fast I didn't even haul the wheels up. Anyway after a couple of minutes fishing, bang, no not a fish, but the bloody Fog, visibility went from about a mile to less than a hundred yards. The land just disappeared along with all my points of reference.
I wasn't worried, as I was only a couple of hundred yards off shore, I could hear people on the beach and the road nearby. Also I've got GPS on my FishFinder, VHF radio and even on my mobile, with my Launch point marked.
So after a couple of drifts using my Electronic, I kept missing the point I want to go over, I've called it a day for now.

Old 24 September 2013, 12:34   #2
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
PeterM and I had the same on Sunday. Went from Poole to Weymouth. The fog came off the land in no time at all. We had 20 miles of it and if it wasn't for the plotter and compass we would have been completely disorintated with the 50 meter vis and its amazing when you have no landmarks and with torque steer you come quickly off course. The other interesting thing is how your eyes and mind start playing tricks and you start seeing objects/shapes coming towards you. Very weird but good experience