Old 27 July 2009, 23:24   #1

Town: Toronto
Make: Zodiac MK II GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 30 Outboard
Air keel

Hi all,

Been around a while with my Bombard 470 Explorer that I had to sell last year due to storage issues. I recently bought a MK II GR with a 30 Johnson O/B Tiller. I love this boat and have been wiping off the oxidation, prepping the trailer (it wasn't used for quite a while) and generally giving it a good cleaning.

My question is with the air keel. When I disassembled the composite flooring, I noticed that the air keel just sits sandwiched between the hull and the floorboards with no point of securement on the inner floor. Is this the norm with this model of Zodiac? Will it create chafe points? Or shift under load?

The air keel is quite a bit older than the tubes and is quite brittle (ie. the creases from being folded over the years has created weathered cracks on the surface that leak). Can I repair this? Is it worth it? Or should I replace the keel with another one...at a hellishly expensive price. Are there alternatives to an air keel? I talked to a local distributor and he suggested some type of adhesive that seals from the inside, regardless of condition of exterior....a two week turnaround at 10% of the price of replacing it. The exterior material is quite different than the tubes (more like a PVC than a hypalon which I believe the tubes are)

Any suggestions regarding these types of keels and what I should try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

N.

Nick
smokeeater341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 04:34   #2

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Zodiac

I've got a Zodiac 2.85m and it's got the solid floor with an air keel underneath, I assume this is what you mean? A long tube that runs down the centre of the floor and is inflated to produce a V-hull by pushing the bottom of the boat against the floorboards?
Mine is attached to the floor but only by a couple of PVC flaps, one at each end. I imagine that in time these would break.

Old 28 July 2009, 08:53   #3

Hi Lightning,

That is exactly the same keel as I am talking about. The PVC flaps that you speak of are long gone on mine. My major concern is how to try and repair the leak(s) on the air keel. I did a search in here and wondered how much success others have had with a) wood keels b) polystyrene c) latex-filled repairs from the inside.

The quote I got for replacement was @ $1000.00 !!!!

Any opinions on which way I should go with this? The tubes, transom and floor all seem to be in great shape and I really don't want to use an inferior product or process that I will regret down the line.

Thanks again.

Nick
Old 28 July 2009, 12:41   #4

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Air keel

$1000? Good heavens, that's nearly the cost of a new boat! is that just for the air keel?
It must be possible to do it another way. Your air keel sounds like it's at the end of it's life, have you looked at other boats with a similar air keel to see what they charge for a new one? Honda for instance.
Old 28 July 2009, 13:16   #5

That's exactly what I said to the rep. Zodiac replacement parts aren't cheap, I understand that but this quote was off the radar! I'm in the process of trying other manufacturers to see if I can find a comparable, yet lower priced product.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Cheers

Nick
Old 28 July 2009, 13:26   #6

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
My old Quicksilver air keel has been attached in only 2 places and was leaking slow air. I used Raft Sealant Kit "quick sealnt" that you inject through valve and then spread it inside by wobling, shaking and everything else possible to spread the liquid evenly inside the tube.
I don't believe it helped as the keel continued to leak a little bit, requiring repumping every 4hrs or so.

This is what I've used:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...89&deptid=1032
Old 28 July 2009, 15:33   #7

Town: nuneaton
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8, 4S
Hi,
Don't know if this will help at all, but a few years ago i bought an old sib type boat. They must have had a similar problem, as they had filled the air keel tube with expanding foam. This worked well, as long as you don't have to deflate/roll up the boat for transporting?.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 28 July 2009, 18:46   #8

Town: Havre de Grace, MD
Boat name: SD430
Make: Saturn
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Merc
Send a message via ICQ to 1ThOFA87
Air Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaraman View Post
Hi,
Don't know if this will help at all, but a few years ago i bought an old sib type boat. They must have had a similar problem, as they had filled the air keel tube with expanding foam. This worked well, as long as you don't have to deflate/roll up the boat for transporting?.
Cheers,
Mark
Sounds like Navaroman is talking about that "Great Stuff" that you can use to plug or insulate pipes entering your home so that snakes don't get in. That's what I used it for. Sounds like it should work fine as long as you trailer the boat and don't have to dis assemble it.
Old 29 July 2009, 00:00   #9

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
On the larger Zodiac craft with air keels only the rear section of the keel was adhered to the floor. The front is never glued. Smaller Zodiacs (3.4) and under are glued at both ends.

Keels can be repaired. You'll need to see where the leak is. If it's the stern end, then yes you should be able to open up and reseal. if the leak is along the seam, then you have problems. If leak is around the valve, then should be repairable.
Old 29 July 2009, 01:48   #10

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Can't you get a new one made by a tube manufacturer?

Ask one on here, its got to be cheaper than a $1000 to have one made and shipped out.