Old 05 June 2018, 10:20   #1

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Aerotec v Frib 320

We have just returned from a week in Pembrokeshire where, at last, I have had a chance to extensively try out my Aerotec with a 15hp 2 stroke Suzuki. We also have a Frib 320 and much as I would like to keep both, a decision has to be made soon as to which one will go?
The Aerotec is a much older boat(2007) than the Frib but it is immaculate. Our 3 friends on holiday with us each have Honwave 380's one powered by 25HP two stroke Mercury whereas the others have 15hp Mariners. Obviously the 25hp left me standing but I found it surprising that I had trouble keeping up with the other two who have engines similar to my own. In the Frib which is a much smaller boat(but heavier) this was never an issue. Where the Aerotec came into its own was in choppier water where it positively carves its way through with a much dryer ride than the Frib.
The Aerotec came with the large launching wheels which, as has been said before, pose problems fitting and removing, both mean getting very wet and when stowed on the transom look horrendous.
So in a week or so time we are at Chichester Harbour where all four of us intend a trip to Pompey Harbour. I will take the Frib and make a final decision then. Chances are though that it will be on sale here in the near future.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:37   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's a great comparison. I have not driven a FRIB (examined them up close) but have owned five SIBs in total both air and solid floor. Certainly from many reports I have read and looking at the very shallow V the reputation for being a slammer in UK seas would rule it out for me together with some QC/build issues.

It does depend on how you use it of course - if you rarely go to sea or only in dead flat conditions then rough water capability is not an issue.

The unique deep V of the BAT is a huge asset and the way it corners on rails rather than sliding like virtually all other SIB's as well as it's chop-taming ability is superb however, the flip side is it's draggy and other SIBs will ultimately be faster on *flat* water given the same HP. Certainly IME a 9.8 on a Zodiac Fastroller gave the same top end (17-18) as a 15 on my BAT.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:54   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Regarding the wheels - I have my DIY wheels/brackets on there which I have had on three SIBs and work great and are reasonably unobtrusive but I leave them ashore after reaching the water's edge - you could replace the wheels on yours with smaller ones or sandhoppers if you need to keep them mounted?
Old 05 June 2018, 13:19   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Interesting Noddy. Owning two boats in the same timeframe is really the only conclusive way to make a fair assessment. You seem to have come to broadly the same conclusions as two other folks who have been in a similar position and decided on Aerotec. There is one guy who's outings are all about fishing who went the other way and kept the Frib.

It doesn't surprise me that the Honwaves with same size engines outpaced you on top end... Aerotecs aren't all about the speed.

Like Max I now leave the wheels in the cottage/car and carry inflatable rollers in case we get dried out on a beach but for lunchtime destinations seek a pontoon if possible. However on this year's holiday there are three beaches we will probably visit where it will be an advantage to use the transom wheels so we may go for the "mickey mouse ears" look.

Also like Max we now use sandhoppers which as images below shows look less obtrusive... and cure the flotation vs fitting issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OE wheel vs sandhopper.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	125124  

Tags
rib