Old 04 July 2016, 18:53   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Aerotec in the rough stuff

Took the aerotec out onto the bar for a play yesterday. Very big waves. I was seriously impressed with it. Didn't find its limit at all. Found my limit though! Next time I'll try and rig up a go pro camera and try to get some footage.. Surfed a few big ones on the way back in.

Simon
Old 04 July 2016, 18:57   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Sounds scarily good simon
Old 04 July 2016, 19:09   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Sounds awesome, surfing in an Aerotec in a big following sea is the best bit.
Old 04 July 2016, 19:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Sounds awesome, surfing in an Aerotec in a big following sea is the best bit.
Actually went out with another surfer to check out some of the surf spots with a view to using the aerotec as a jumping off point. On the ebb there are some stationary waves that look good for longboarding. Some of the following waves we had were breaking off the sandbars, we stayed well ahead on the shoulder but it was a lot of fun. Chucking our weight around in the boat makes a massive difference in the aerotec.

Was thinking though.. IF the boat ever flipped, would two adults on a rope be able to right it? Its not a particularly wide boat, I reckon it'd be doable.
Old 04 July 2016, 19:41   #5

Easy peasy even for one I'm sure. Chuck a rope on the opposite bow rail and pull...then deal with the consequences!
Old 04 July 2016, 19:44   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Was thinking though.. IF the boat ever flipped, would two adults on a rope be able to right it? Its not a particularly wide boat, I reckon it'd be doable.
Probably, but if you are in surf then a good chance you'll be on the shore before you get a chance. A bridle may make it easier. Restarting the engine afterwards might not be so easy.
Old 04 July 2016, 19:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Probably, but if you are in surf then a good chance you'll be on the shore before you get a chance. A bridle may make it easier. Restarting the engine afterwards might not be so easy.
... Which brings me to my next question, how to restart a flooded two stroke? I carry spare plugs, tools and a tiny can of wd40 in a tupperware box now. So would removing the plugs then turning the engine over several times and replacing the plugs do the trick? With any luck the kill cord would have stopped the engine before it took a gulp.
Old 04 July 2016, 20:52   #8

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
The carbs would have to be drained the spark plugs removed and turn the engine over a few times to expel the water from the cylinders. Put it back together and hope it starts. This assumes that the HT system is waterproof. This I am sure is a very simple process on land but maybe a different story at sea.
Tsm
Old 04 July 2016, 21:07   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
... Which brings me to my next question, how to restart a flooded two stroke? I carry spare plugs, tools and a tiny can of wd40 in a tupperware box now. So would removing the plugs then turning the engine over several times and replacing the plugs do the trick? With any luck the kill cord would have stopped the engine before it took a gulp.
Have you tried replacing the plugs when afloat? Even on a calm day leaning off the back of a boat its not easy, in conditions where a capsize is likely it will be really hard, especially with no power to keep the boat pointing the right way. In an ideal world you'd drain the carbs too - but there is no way you are fiddling with that tiny screw whilst bouncing around.
Old 04 July 2016, 21:20   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> how to restart a flooded two stroke?

Well... and I'm really not being flippant... for the purposes of leisure use make sure it never ever happens!
Old 04 July 2016, 21:51   #11

Quote:
As I posted....then deal with the consequences!

With credit to Whisper, see below (from the Y Class topic) and as posted there, fancy doing that lot rolling about in a F6?!? You need a carb drain too...

Old 04 July 2016, 22:04   #12

And another excuse to post my favourite YT SIB video, incl how to restart...not easy even with two experienced big guys holding it on the shore...

https://youtu.be/2oM4Y3LVGyg
Old 05 July 2016, 07:21   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Was thinking though.. IF the boat ever flipped, would two adults on a rope be able to right it? Its not a particularly wide boat, I reckon it'd be doable.[/QUOTE]

It should be straight forward enough....I flipped my Old Zodiac (with 20hp Blue Band)off Exmouth Sand Bar years ago and even with a non Boater aboard we mangled to right her...although were dead in the water and had a Tow in..A bit of a shock when it happens if your Not wearing a Dry suit!
A long Bow line (Painter- even better two) will help a lot!
The main thing is to get the wind to aid you ( usually Blowing a bit if you flip!) and be coordinated....and don't hang around that first wave of adrenalin is there to be used...it soon gets really Cold even in the Summer months.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2016, 16:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
It should be straight forward enough....I flipped my Old Zodiac (with 20hp Blue Band)off Exmouth Sand Bar years ago and even with a non Boater aboard we mangled to right her...although were dead in the water and had a Tow in..A bit of a shock when it happens if your Not wearing a Dry suit!
The main thing is to get the wind to aid you ( usually Blowing a bit if you flip!) and be coordinated....and don't hang around that first wave of adrenalin is there to be used...it soon gets really Cold even in the Summer months.[/QUOTE]

We all wear wetsuits when we're at sea. My winter suit is good for several hours in the water, even in January
Old 05 July 2016, 17:39   #15

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Never rolled mine at all

https://youtu.be/pY2XxQuqAmc

https://youtu.be/l4e0mF_jhPg
Old 05 July 2016, 17:55   #16

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
The main thing is to get the wind to aid you ( usually Blowing a bit if you flip!) and be coordinated....and don't hang around that first wave of adrenalin is there to be used...it soon gets really Cold even in the Summer months.
We all wear wetsuits when we're at sea. My winter suit is good for several hours in the water, even in January[/QUOTE]

IMO without doubt You'd be better off investing in Breathable Dry suits...especially for winter use....Wet suits aren't much good at keeping you warm when it's wet cold and windy on board....they tend to wick away heat..especially when wet.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2016, 18:07   #17

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Yes it's dead easy to right the boat especially if you use the surf/waves to help, will you restart the engine NO and I say that because if conditions are that bad to flip it you will have all on stoping it flipping again. Loose the carb drain and it's all over anyway.
Old 06 July 2016, 09:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
We all wear wetsuits when we're at sea. My winter suit is good for several hours in the water, even in January
IMO without doubt You'd be better off investing in Breathable Dry suits...especially for winter use....Wet suits aren't much good at keeping you warm when it's wet cold and windy on board....they tend to wick away heat..especially when wet.[/QUOTE]

I've no doubt that drysuits are lovely and warm. But in my experience a decent (£200+) winter surf wetsuit with a fleece rashvest underneath is pretty good too. I regularly surf in January in anything down to 4C air temps and if they're good enough for sitting on a board for two hours then they'll do for me. Plus they have a lot of float to them. Keeping hands warm is my real problem. I use mittens for surfing but they aren't very dextrous. Neoprene gloves with fingers aren't very warm.

Simon
Old 06 July 2016, 10:23   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
you can get a dry suit for not much more than 200 squid best thing out IMO
Old 06 July 2016, 10:52   #20