Old 24 May 2017, 18:37   #1
HET

Length: no boat
Aerotec arrived - questions about glue

Hi all,

I finally received an Aerotec after many hours of reading in here. Look really forward to test it the next days.

However, I do have a few questions regarding the glue. The boat is a demo boat from 2003 and has never been in the water. After carefull inspection, though, I can see that there might be a few potential glue problems in the front end where the black floor meets the red tube in both sides. See pictures. The gap is only around 4-5 mm deep and maybe 1-2cm wide at the worst place and there is nothing to see on the bottom side. Also, the transom glue seems perfect.

Is this something I should worry about? And if so, should I try to glue it to stop it from getting worse?

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks,

Helge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-24 20.00.56.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	119618   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-24 20.03.49.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	119619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	119620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	119621  
Old 24 May 2017, 19:04   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Don't think it's a problem but since it's as new and not been wet I would clean and glue up to prevent getting worse peace of mind
Old 24 May 2017, 19:57   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Minimum peel strength should be about 10 DaN / 5cm.

If the peel strength is less than that, it should be reglued.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 20:25   #4
HET

Ok. Thanks. How do I determine the peel strength?

And I guess 2 component glue is the best.

Cheers,
Helge
Old 24 May 2017, 20:37   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HET View Post
Ok. Thanks. How do I determine the peel strength?

And I guess 2 component glue is the best.

Cheers,
Helge
With a pull gauge and a clamp.

Basically, if you can pull it apart with moderate force with your fingers (not pliers) and no heatgun, it's too weak and should be reglued.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 21:00   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Helge I had an older Aerotec with glue failure in various areas and that inside seam to the tubes in exactly the same places as yours was one place it was going.

But what worries me and perhaps office888 could offer an opinion...

The left hand side is just starting to pull away and you will note there is little sign of excess glue residue... in my experience the original Zodiac glue dries almost clear and at worse perhaps shows as a honey colour where exposed to air/light for many years.

On your right hand side a large length of seam looks to have signs of white glue excess residue. So has it already been re-glued and what with? You might examine this closer now I've mentioned it.
Old 25 May 2017, 07:53   #7
HET

Fenlander, I guess you are right. It might already have been reglued. But the opposite site is worse.

So what do you recommend? Should I just put some 2 component glue in the gap and press the sides together or what?

Or would you try to return the boat?

Once this has started, how many years would you give the boat before a major repair is needed?

Sorry for the many questions but I'm a bit depressed having discovered this.

Cheers,
Helge
Old 25 May 2017, 08:06   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Check back on Fenlander's Aerotec repair project topic - if it is fine with the rudimentary pull test and if it is only a few mm's then this sometimes happens and it's no big deal. I have had that on boats where literally it is only the first mm or so in a couple of spots (although this was on the transom) and I just squeezed in a tiny bead of mastic, closed up the gap, cleaned up and that's it. Stops any further water ingress and potential damage.

Of course if it pulls away then you need to consider a much bigger job.

People have often talked about a 'ten' year glue issue with Zodiac boats but this must be open to so much variation in terms of storage, use, abuse, sun exposure etc, etc...

We don't know what you paid for your boat - Denmark is not cheap I'm guessing but looking at it your boat is super clean and minty mint.

The material and transom and floor on these things is very well made and hard wearing. I would keep it and just set aside the fact that you might have to pay for a re-glue via a decent pro and then you are set for many many years to come.
Old 25 May 2017, 08:21   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Should I just put some 2 component glue in the gap and press the sides together or what? Or would you try to return the boat?

Gluing small areas of an Aerotec is not that hard... as long as it's not been improperly glued before. The biggest problem I had doing mine was where there was thick old unsuitable glue used before which was very hard to remove.

The correct two-part glue will only stick properly when the PVC material is cleaned right back and de-greased. You can't glue on previous glue... particularly if you have no idea what it is.

As it does seem yours has been re-glued if you bought it described "as new and unused" from a dealer then you may wish to try and return.

Here is the thread where I repaired my old one... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...ice-68545.html ... repair details from post #30 onwards.

If you want to keep it look very hard at the transom glued joints and try to pull them apart. Several members had their transoms come away from the tubes last year due to glue failure on older Aerotecs. Here is one example... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...off-73242.html