Old 13 March 2018, 10:34   #1

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Aerotec 380

Well its been on my bucket list for some time so, though I would have preferred a newer one, I recently bought a 10 year old Bombard 380 Aerotec through Ebay. Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised as I bought it on spec a month ago and only managed to pump it up yesterday! It came with the wheels, paddles and bag all for £900. The Tubes are in unmarked superb condition whilst the floor does have one small patch with a receipt for the repair of £160 00, 5 years ago!
I already have a Frib 330 and though it does the job the Russian Build leave a lot to be desired and the tubes are a bit small for rough weather sibbing! It will be interesting to compare the two as I will be using the same 3 year old Suzuki 15hp 2 stroke?
Just a few questions concerning the floor and forgive me if they have been covered before:
Firstly when I pumped the boat and floor up, the front of the floor where it divides did not seem to sit properly within the boat - admittedly I was in a rush so it could well not be a problem.
There is a flap down the centre of the floor, is this where the fuel tube is inserted? If so are they worth having and where/how much are they?
I seem to remember recently that someone had found a suitable floor covering - please could I be sent the link?
Finally the one drawback is the grey floor and the grime which is in the tread - is it viable to power wash this out with the floor inflated/deflated or is there something on the market which will shift it?
Old 13 March 2018, 11:29   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The floor should fit well, but might not go fully into place until it's up to pressure. Did you fully inflate it that time?

I found that careful use of a pressure washer was the best way to get the dirt out of the textured floor surface, but I know that others have managed to wreck their floor this was so take it a bit easy!
Old 13 March 2018, 14:10   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As John says... were you 100% to pressure? The floor near the bow is the last bit to pop into shape as you raise the pressure. Also depending on how you are supporting it... the floor will go to shape quicker if you are not asking to support all the weight on the central section as it inflates.

Re cleaning the floor... again as John says... you can use a pressure washer... but I've seen images of going too close causing the material to perforate and leak. I have mostly just used a scrubbing brush and normal SIB cleaner.... but they never go back to as-new like tubes.

Re matting... I have just had it with one SIB because the previous owner included it with the sale. Despite thinking about it a couple of times I have never bothered with any of our other 4 air floor SIBs as in normal family use they do not suffer damage.

Beware if using a black matting on an Aerotec if you spill even a bit of fuel it can transfer the black onto the floor.

What do you mean by the fuel tube... a pipe to a bow positioned tank or a custom fuel bladder??

Really look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I know they aren't for everyone... particularly the fishermen and load luggers... but if you fit their niche I think you'll be very impressed. With their tube size and deep V they seem to have a depth such that you can get in them rather than perching on them when the going gets rough. This may address one issue you mention.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how your Suzuki 15 pushes it. For all my satisfaction with our 44kg Suzuki 20hp there will come a day when a 33kg motor would appeal.
Old 13 March 2018, 18:31   #4

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Thankyou both for your advice. I think you are both right about the floor fitting correctly as I was in a rush an only pumped it up to around 75% of the advised pressure!
Sorry Fenlander I meant a fuel "bladder" couldn't think of the word? Is it worth getting one and, if so, what price are they and where can I get one? I have had the engine from new and bought it because of the weight and it fits in the back of the car with either the FRIB or Aerotec.
Old 13 March 2018, 18:39   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh fuel bladder you mean. I have heard of someone getting a custom one to fit in that space but I'd be against it. There is great potential for chafing/leaks to bladder and floor... I'm sure it is near impossible to remove too once filled with fuel too.

For me the tank position under the seat where the fuel strap anchors are is perfect so I see no need to improve on that.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:02   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Congratulations Noddy! You can get bladders and they work great but are expensive - I don't think one would fit in that space though, it is useful for other things - see below:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rigging...tec-71912.html

Also more on flooring and other mods below:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html
Old 30 March 2018, 07:21   #7

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Happy Sibbing everyone! Just had my Mercury 25hp serviced and ready to go out on my Aerotec on the Thames. But it's just tooooo cooolllllldddddd brrrrr