Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 June 2012, 04:54   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
PETE I've replied to your PM & email.

A 5hp will weigh 22kgs, so your getting double the power for nowhere near double the weight, only 4kgs or so, which in reality is what 4 litres of fuel would weigh. So if the 5hp has an integral tank and say 2 litres of fuel it will be almost the same! The Tohatsu (or any larger engine) will have an external tank so you can carry it separately, splitting the weight.

The Yam 6hp CMH model is 27 Kgs.

The 2008 Merc 9.9 4 stroke we have is 38 kgs. That's a lot for most to carry. You have to really want the benefits of 4 stroke (noise, ease of use, fuel efficiency) to go that route. I'd suggest it's not ideal as you have storage issues too then.

Your not limited to choosing between my two only though! Plenty out there to run with.

Other options include dolly wheels, trailering (although still need to remove motor to tow) or a pair of paddles

If your local to Plymouth your welcome to give it a try! You can try both the Tohatsu & the Mercury 4 Stroke to consider the comparisons. Bring the Yam and try that too.

Or use YouTube

Here's some examples. None are mine!

Quicksilver 3.1 + Yam 6hp 4 stroke - looks like 2 persons (1adult 1 unknown)




West Coast Compact 3.1 + Merc 9.9 4 stroke (same as mine) - 1 Adult




Avon 3.1m + Yam 9.9hp 2 Stroke (slightly heavier than my Tohatsu at 32kgs) + 1 Adult




3.1m + Tohatsu 9.8 (same engine as mine) + 1 adult




Zodiac 3.4 + Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke + 1 Adult - seems to struggle



Hope that helps. Whichever way you go, enjoy but wear your kill cord! Or this could be you slooping out at 1min 06, if your that lucky...



Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 04:56   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In which case he needs to specify whether his preference is red or white. Personally I'd stick a nice Penfolds Bin 28 on the back, failing that, a Wakefield 2006 Shiraz Whatever you do, stay away from the Italian stuff, or it will only go backwards.
Thanks for that dude, I've fixed it for me

I always make good headway against wine. Speaking of Penfolds, I found a pair of Grange 1990 and a lonely looking 707 at the back of the cellar. Must be ready
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 05:12   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,597
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I found a pair of Grange 1990 and a lonely looking 707 at the back of the cellar. Must be ready
Bluddy 'ell! You must be a VERY bad man
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 15:38   #14
Member
 
PeteH's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Lou-Lou
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 9.9
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
PETE I've replied to your PM & email.

A 5hp will weigh 22kgs, so your getting double the power for nowhere near double the weight, only 4kgs or so, which in reality is what 4 litres of fuel would weigh. So if the 5hp has an integral tank and say 2 litres of fuel it will be almost the same! The Tohatsu (or any larger engine) will have an external tank so you can carry it separately, splitting the weight.

The Yam 6hp CMH model is 27 Kgs.

The 2008 Merc 9.9 4 stroke we have is 38 kgs. That's a lot for most to carry. You have to really want the benefits of 4 stroke (noise, ease of use, fuel efficiency) to go that route. I'd suggest it's not ideal as you have storage issues too then.

Your not limited to choosing between my two only though! Plenty out there to run with.

Other options include dolly wheels, trailering (although still need to remove motor to tow) or a pair of paddles

If your local to Plymouth your welcome to give it a try! You can try both the Tohatsu & the Mercury 4 Stroke to consider the comparisons. Bring the Yam and try that too.

Or use YouTube

Here's some examples. None are mine!

Quicksilver 3.1 + Yam 6hp 4 stroke - looks like 2 persons (1adult 1 unknown)




West Coast Compact 3.1 + Merc 9.9 4 stroke (same as mine) - 1 Adult




Avon 3.1m + Yam 9.9hp 2 Stroke (slightly heavier than my Tohatsu at 32kgs) + 1 Adult




3.1m + Tohatsu 9.8 (same engine as mine) + 1 adult




Zodiac 3.4 + Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke + 1 Adult - seems to struggle



Hope that helps. Whichever way you go, enjoy but wear your kill cord! Or this could be you slooping out at 1min 06, if your that lucky...



Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Thanks very much for the input Peter,as you now know my mind is made up,your help is much appreicated...
__________________
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 15:41   #15
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Wotcher gettin' then? You can't ask for help and then leave us in suspense?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 15:48   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
Wotcher gettin' then? You can't ask for help and then leave us in suspense?
This is Ribnet, ask for advice and then bollox to the lot of us - he'll ignore us all and buy a 2.5, a 20 or one of those leccy jobbies!
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 15:50   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Not this one, I reckon he's out buying Toohotsue paint for the flakey leg that Peter is selling him on that 9.8
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 16:20   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Pete has decided to buy the Mercury 9.9hp 4 stroke. I've removed it from sale on request.

So the Tohatsu is still here.... Warts n all

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 16:57   #19
Member
 
SIBer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 258
Good luck pete.
That tommyhatsu is a great deal with its own anti theft device - Bargain.
__________________
SIBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 18:01   #20
Member
 
PeteH's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Lou-Lou
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 9.9
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 55
As stated I went for the mercury,condition and it being a 4stroke (after having one previous) kind of swayed it for me....granted its a touch on the heavy side than the tootoo
Buy I'm a 40 year old and pretty fit so I'll manage just fine I reckon,i went to get the hon wave today and it's a minter never been dipped and for 500 including rule pump and launch trailer it's a bargain.....
Weekend after next,here I come....
Cheers for all the input folks.
__________________

__________________
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.